Xiaomi is a well-known brand in the world. There is nothing the company does not produce starting with small things like electric toothbrushes and ending up with 65 in TVs. The first robotic cleaner released by Xiaomi was the Xiaomi Mi robot, which was produced by Roborock Technology Co. Ltd, a fast-growing Chinese company that specializes in the research, development, and production of robot vacuum cleaners. Roborock also produces robot vacuums under its own brand. You can find the difference between all the Roborock models in this comparison.
At this moment, we have a few models released under the Xiaomi brand in partnership with other robot vacuum manufacturers.
- Xiaomi Mi Robot (or the Xiaomi Robot Vacuum Cleaner)
- Xiaomi Mijia 1S Robot Vacuum (an upgraded version of the Xiaomi Mi Robot)
- Xiaomi Mijia STYJ02YM
- Xiaomi MiJia 1C
The Xiaomi Mi Robot is the oldest robot vacuum in the family. In April 2019, an improved version of this model was released, the Xiaomi Mijia 1S Robot Vacuum. It has an upgraded laser distance sensor and, in addition, a camera sensor with the AI image recognition that allows the 1S to recognize rooms and identify doors between these rooms, so now you can send a command to clean a specific room. Alongside with the Conrtex - A7 processor, it creates a more accurate map and has more advanced navigation algorithm. The company claims, the Xiaomi Mijia 1S provides more efficient cleaning, improved up to 13% compared to the first generation Xiaomi Mi Robot. The upgraded model can store multiple maps which makes it perfect for homes with more than one level. It also has a better suction power of 2,000Pa.
In August 2019, the company produced the first 2-in-1 robot vacuum Xiaomi Mijia STYJ02YM that can do mopping and sweeping, has stronger suction and bigger container.
In October, the company released a new budget robot vacuum equipped with a visual sensor — the Xiaomi MiJia 1C. It has the strongest suction power in the industry and a budget price tag.
Xiaomi Robot Vacuum Cleaners Comparison Chart
Xiaomi Mi Robot
Xiaomi MiJia 1S
Xiaomi Mijia STYJ02YM
Xiaomi MiJia 1C
|Battery life||150 min||150 min||110 min||110 min|
|Suction power||1,800 Pa||2,000 Pa||2,100 Pa||2,500 Pa|
|Mapping technology||LDS Laser||LDS Laser + Visual Sensor||LDS Laser||Visual Sensor|
|Dustbin size||420 ml||420 ml||550 ml||600 ml|
|Water level control||-||-||yes||yes|
|Water tank size||-||-||200 ml||200 ml|
|Alexa / Google Home Support||yes||no||no||yes|
|Battery capacity||5,200 mAh||5,200 mAh||3,200 mAh||2,400 mAh|
|Scheduling to clean in one room||no||yes||yes||no|
|Multiple maps support||no||yes||N/A||no|
|Sensors||12||14||12||15 types of sensors|
|Noise level||68 dB||68 dB||N/A||72 dB|
|Crossing ability||0.59 in / 15 mm||N/A||0.79 in / 20 mm||0.79 in / 20 mm|
|Height||3.78 in / 9.6 cm||3.78 in / 9.6 cm||3.72 in / 9.4 cm||3.21 in / 8.15 cm|
|Cleaning coverage||2691 ft2 / 250 m2||2691 ft2 / 250 m2||1937 ft2 / 180 m2||645 ft2 / 60 m2|
|App||Mi Home||Mi Home||Mi Home||Mi Home|
|Warranty||12 months||12 months||12 months||12 months|
|Release date||September 2016||April 2019||August 2019||October 2019|
Main differences between the Xiaomi robot vacuum cleaners?
- Suction power. The Xiaomi Mi Robot has the weakest suction and the latest MiJia 1C is most powerful among the Xiaomi robots. It causes better cleaning performance on carpets.
- Battery life. The Mi Robot and MiJia 1S run for the whole 150 minutes. The latest model would clean for around 110 minutes on one charge while the MiJia 1C lasts up to ~100 minutes.
- Mapping technology. The three machines are guided by Lidar, the MiJia 1S also has a visual sensor for more precious mapping, and the MiJia 1C is equipped with a visual sensor and gyroscope.
- Multimapping. The MiJia 1S stores up to three maps and are more suitable for multi-level homes.
- Climbing ability. The Mi Robot’s crossing ability is 15 mm which makes it not suitable for thick carpets. The newest models have 20 mm and are better for deep cleaning.
- Mopping. Only the Xiaomi Mijia STYJ02YM and MiJia 1C have mopping. The STYJ02YM water tank is unique and holds water & dust allowing the robot mopping and sweeping at the same time, the MiJia 1C has two separate containers which means it either can sweeping or mopping.
- Virtual walls and room cleaning. The two new models support virtual walls and room cleaning while the Mi Robot only has zoned cleaning.
- Dustbin size. The newest cleaner has the biggest dustbin which helps it to hold more pet hair and dust.
- Alexa integration. Only the Mi Robot is integrated with Alexa and Google Home. We hope the new models will be compatible with smart voice assistants soon as well.
- Battery size. The newest Xiaomi has the smallest battery volume.
- Height. The latest 1C is the shortest. It helps the robot to reach some places under furniture other Xiaomi cleaners can’t.
What are digital virtual walls & restricted areas?
Virtual walls & restricted area is a feature that prevents the robot from going to certain areas such as cluttered zones or kids rooms. Overall, this option keeps the robot off unwanted areas.
What is zoned cleaning?
Zoned cleaning is needed when you need to vacuum high-traffic areas or messy zones. By drawing a rectangle on the map, you let the robot know where it should work. The feature is similar to the room cleaning, although zoned cleaning is more specific.
What is room cleaning?
The room cleaning is helpful when you don’t want to clean the whole house, only one or a few rooms. Once a robot creates a map, it divides the map into separate areas which you can merge or divide the way you want and even name each zone. Further, it will help the robot know where exactly to clean. You can also schedule the robot to work in a particular room or two at a specific time.
What is Lidar?
Lidar or the LDS laser is a technology that uses to build a map of a cleaning area. It scans the surroundings and creates a plan of the floor. Now the robot vacuum knows where it needs to clean. Mapping helps the robot to navigate more efficient since it doesn’t go over the same spots twice also saving battery life. Cleaners that are guided by Lidar finish cleaning faster. Xiaomi robot cleaners are equipped with the LDS laser. The Xiaomi MiJia 1S, in addition to the laser, has a visual sensor.
Robots that don’t have mapping bouncing around until their battery dies, they don’t learn your floor plan.
Why battery life matter?
Yes, it does matter if you live in an average to big size house. Normally the cleaners that have mapping cover more area for the same time the ones that randomly move do. If the robot that does not learn your home layout has 110 minutes of battery life does not mean it will cover the whole house on one charge while the one that remembers your floor plan will clean everywhere until it finishes the cycle.
The longer a robot lasts the more it will cover on one charge before finishing cleaning.
The Xiaomi Mi Robot and MiJia 1S run for the whole 2.5 hours while the latest Xiaomi STYJ02YM can do the job for up to 110 minutes which is also a good result but it would need more time to cover a bigger house.
This is why the MiJia 1C which lasts up to 40 minutes is not suitable for bigger homes.
What is recharge & resume?
When the battery runs lower than 20%, a robot automatically returns to the charging dock, juice up to 80% and then resumes cleaning from the same spot it left off. Mapping allows the robot to know where it has been so it knows exactly where it was before needed to go charging. This feature is useful for people who have big homes, it helps the cleaner to cover a bigger area on one charge.
The Xiaomi robot cleaners support recharging.
Xiaomi Mi Robot
The Xiaomi Mi Robot is the first robot vacuum that was released in 2016. It is equipped with a HEPA filter that makes the robot safe for allergy and asthma sufferers. Equipped with 12 sensors including the LDS laser that helps to create a map of the cleaning area, the Xiaomi navigates in a back-in-forth pattern safely avoiding furniture and falling offs.
Because of a processor inside you can track the Mi Robot movements in real-time by using the app. It helps to understand where the robot has been and where it needs to clean.
In the Mi Home app, you can switch between cleaning modes, schedule the machine to work at a specific time, start/stop the robot, etc.
The Mi Robot supports zoned cleaning. It is helpful if you want the cleaner to pay attention to some areas more than to others.
Equipped with a 5,200 mAh battery, the robot lasts up to 150 minutes before needs to recharge covering about 2691 ft2 / 250 m2. Other than battery life, the Mi Robot has a 15 mm climbing ability which makes it not suitable for thick carpets. It does have strong suction delivering 1,800 Pa but because of the wheels that can’t cross some obstacles, it is almost impossible for the vacuum to go on thick carpets.
Nevertheless, the Xiaomi Mi Robot does a superb job on bare floors and carpets, safe for those who suffer from allergy and asthma and is perfect for big houses.
Get the Xiaomi Mi Robot if you:
- Are looking for a budget robot vacuum based on the LDS laser
- Live in a big house
- Don’t have thick carpets
- Have an Alexa-enabled device
- Want a robot vacuum that is featured with useful options but costs less than most of the smart cleaners
Xiaomi Mijia 1S Robot Vacuum
The Xiaomi Mijia 1S Robot Vacuum is the second model in the family. It has stronger suction than the Mi Robot and more smart features.
Aside from the LDS laser, the robot also equipped with a visual sensor for a more precious mapping. It has a newer processor than the Mi Robot does that builds a map faster and helps to create a more efficient way of cleaning.
It supports the same features the Mi Robot does and in addition, the robot has blocked off areas and can directly work in a specific room. Thanks to the visual sensor, the MiJia 1S recognizes rooms by dividing the map into separate rooms. When the map is created, you can schedule the cleaner to work in the kitchen/bedroom at a specific time. This option is useful if you don’t need to clean the whole house.
The new MiJia 1S supports multi-floor which means it can save up to 3 maps and is suitable for multi-story houses. This feature is still in beta and might not work correctly.
Get the Xiaomi MiJia 1S if you:
- Live in a large house
- Have a multi-story household
- Your home mostly covered with carpets
- Don’t need mopping
- Want extra features such as AI room identification
- Want an advanced mapping system. The laser scans a cleaning area faster than the Mi Robot. A visual sensor helps to build an accurate map
Xiaomi MiJia 1S vs. Mi Robot: why the newer generation is better?
- Built-in optical sensor helps to create a high-precious map
- Updated processor creates maps faster
- Stronger suction makes the 1S suitable for medium-pile carpets
- Quieter than the first gen
- Lately the 1S got multimap support
- No-Go zones support
- MiJia 1S recognizes rooms location and can be directed to clean one of them.
To conclude: the Xiaomi Mi Robot is better for not cluttered houses with low-pile carpets and hard floors.
The Xiaomi MiJia 1S is ideal for multi-level houses with pets, suitable for medium-pile carpets and cluttered homes.
Xiaomi MiJia STYJ02YM
Can do mopping/sweeping, mopping and sweeping
The Xiaomi Mijia STYJ02YM is the first robot vacuum in the family that does mopping and sweeping. Equipped with a HEPA filter, the robot is safe for allergy and asthma sufferers. The climbing ability increased from 0.59 / 15 mm to 0.79 / 20 mm and now the robot can go on thick carpets and cross thresholds.
It also has stronger suction of 2100 Pa compared to 1,800 (Mi Robot) and 2,000 Pa (Xiaomi MiJia 1S). Though battery life is shorter, going from 150 minutes, the new robot got 110 minutes on low power.
The most significant update of the latest model — mopping function. The robot has two containers in the box, one is for dust and the other one is for water and dust. There is also a full water tank option available to buy separately if you need the tank to hold more volume. Also, it comes with two mopping cloths, one for wet mopping, the other one for half wet mopping. The robot follows a Y-shape path in mopping mode. It helps to mop more efficiently. The Xiaomi has three water level control for different mopping needs.
The Mi Home app supports virtual boundaries, zoned cleaning and also room cleaning. It can be scheduled to work directly in a certain room or two. Thanks to HEPA filtration, the robot is safe for people who suffer from allergy and asthma.
It seems like the STYJ02YM is going to support multimap in the future but for now, it is not here.
Get the Xiaomi MiJia STYJ02YM if you:
- Need extra power
- Have some bare floor area
- Hape a pet. Stronger suction and HEPA filter is suitable for pet owners
- Live in a house covered with thin and thick carpets
- Want a robot with an advanced mopping
- Want advanced smart features such as intelligent room cleaning, zoned cleaning and restricted areas
- Live in a small to average size house
- Want to get a premium robot vacuum
- Ready to spend extra
Xiaomi STYJ02YM vs. MiJia 1C
- Mapping technology is different. The map created by the optical sensor and gyroscope is not as accurate and does not allow interacting with it;
- The 1C has stronger suction power;
- Lidar-guided robot is more efficient and spends less time to clean the same area;
- Because of shorter battery life, the MiJia 1C is better for smaller homes;
- 1C does not have no-go lines, zoned cleaning nor can be directed to clean a particular room.
Bottom line: Xiaomi MiJia 1C is better for small homes with minimum furniture, pet owners, it can work on all kinds of surfaces (except for the high-pile carpets).
The Xiaomi STYJ02YM would be ideal for bigger homes with pets. This model also can work on hard floors, low and medium-pile carpets.
The Xiaomi MiJia 1C is the newest budget robot vacuum that can do both sweeping and mopping at the same time. It is safe for allergy sufferers because of its washable HEPA filter.
The robot is equipped with the largest dustbin among other Xiaomi models thanks to which it is ideal for pet hair. The 1C delivers 2,500 Pa suction which sounds impressive but do not fall for the suction because the newest model does not have the biggest battery, its 2,400 mAh battery lasts up to 40 minutes on one charge but goes to automatically recharge when it’s out of power.
Because of the short body (lack of LIDAR), the Xiaomi MiJia 1C fits under most furniture.
The robot has two separate containers: one (600 ml) for dust and the other one (200 ml) for water. Because of strong suction and good climbing ability, the 1C is suitable for carpets.
The Xiaomi MiJia 1C is ideal for small homes with some bare floor area and carpeted surface
Get the Xiaomi MiJia 1C if you:
- Need extra power
- Have some bare floor area
- Hape a pet. Stronger suction and a washable HEPA filter is suitable for pet owners, also because of a bigger dustbin the 1C is perfect for pet hair
- Live in a house mostly covered with carpets
- Live in a small household
- Looking for a budget yet powerful robot vacuum.
Xiaomi MiJia 1S vs. Xiaomi MiJia STYJ02YM vs. MiJia 1C
These three models are very similar yet have different features and are designed for different needs too.
The MiJia 1S is the one without mopping capability and is designed for those who do not need mopping even though it does work well on hard floors. Unlike the 1C, the 1S has an optical sensor on top which in tandem with the laser builds a high-precious map. This is also the only Xiaomi robot that supports multiple floor mapping and is suitable for big homes with more than one level. If you want an efficient robot vacuum with smart features, you live in a big one or multi-story house and do not look for mopping, go with the Xiaomi MiJia 1S.
The MiJia STYJ02YM is better than the 1C in terms of mopping because of the Y-shaped path. Since it has mopping, the STYJ02YM would be the best choice for those who are looking for a lidar-guided robot with mopping. Because of shorter battery life and no multimap, it is better for average-sized one-floor houses. It also performs well on hard flooring and low, medium-pile carpets. Those who need a smart lidar-based robot that would also mop hard floors that is great for average-sized house might go with the Xiaomi MiJia STYJ02YM.
The MiJia 1C is the cheapest and most baseline robot vacuum in the model line. It is a great pick for medium-pile carpets, also can mop hard floors but as good as the STYJ02YM would do. It is ideal for smaller homes with a minimum amount of furniture. It also would be great for pet owners.
Side note: if you are okay with not having an option of changing the map by setting zoned cleaning/no-go lines or directing the robot to clean a particular room, get the Xiaomi MiJia 1C. If you want all these features, have a look at the MiJia 1S or MiJia STYJ02YM and chose the right for you based on the size of your house, multimap and mopping ability.
Price & Where to Buy
Xiaomi Mijia 1S on Gearbest for $340
Xiaomi MiJia STYJ02YM on Gearbest for $312
Xiaomi MiJia 1C on Gearbest for ~$260
The Xiaomi Mi Robot is a budget model and lack many useful features but still can be a good helper for those who are looking for a budget machine and don’t have thick carpets.
The Xiaomi MiJia 1S is a great pick for anyone who wants a robot vacuum with premium features for a reasonable price. At $340 you get a powerful robot vacuum with a long-lasting battery and room cleaning.
If you need mopping, extra suction, a bigger container and better cleaning performance, consider getting the Xiaomi Mijia STYJ02YM. It is a high-end model with many smart bells that is suitable for homes with carpets, bare floors and pet owners.
Last but not least, if you live in a small home with carpets and some bare floors, need a budget cleaner that can do mopping and sweeping, have a look at the Xiaomi MiJia 1C, it is an ideal choice for those who don’t want to go out of budget yet want a powerful robot vacuum.