Xiaomi is a well-known brand in the world. There is nothing the company does not produce starting with small things like electric toothbrushes and ending up with 65 in TVs. As expected, the manufacturer makes decent robot vacuum cleaners.
Xiaomi has released three robot vacuum cleaners:
- Xiaomi Mi Robot (or the Xiaomi Robot Vacuum Cleaner)
- Xiaomi Mijia 1S Robot Vacuum (an upgraded version of the Xiaomi Mi Robot)
- Xiaomi Mijia STYJ02YM
The Xiaomi Mi Robot is the oldest robot vacuum in the family. In April 2019, released an improved version of this model — the Xiaomi Mijia 1S Robot Vacuum. It has an upgraded laser distance sensor and, in addition, a camera sensor with the AI image recognition that allows the 1S to recognize rooms and identify doors between these rooms, so now you can send a command to clean a specific room. Alongside with the Conrtex - A7 processor, it creates a more accurate map and has more advanced navigation algorithm. The company claims, the Xiaomi Mijia 1S provides more efficient cleaning, improved up to 13% compared to the first generation Xiaomi Mi Robot. The upgraded model can store multiple maps which makes it perfect for homes with more than one level. It also has a better suction power of 2,000Pa.
In August 2019, the company produced the first 2-in-1 robot vacuum that can do mopping and sweeping, has stronger suction and bigger container.
Xiaomi Robot Vacuum Cleaners Comparison Chart
|Model name||Xiaomi Mi Robot||Xiaomi MiJia 1S||Xiaomi Mijia STYJ02YM|
|Battery life||150 min||150 min||110 min|
|Suction power||1,800 Pa||2,000 Pa||2,100 Pa|
|Mapping technology||LDS Laser||LDS Laser + Visual Sensor||LDS Laser|
|Dustbin size||420 ml||420 ml||550 ml|
|Water tank size||-||-||550 ml|
|Alexa / Google Home Support||yes||no||no|
|Battery capacity||5,200 mAh||5,200 mAh||3,200 mAh|
|Scheduling to clean in one room||no||yes||yes|
|Multiple maps support||no||yes||N/A|
|Noise level||68 dB||68 dB||N/A|
|Crossing ability||0.59 in / 15 mm||N/A||0.79 in / 20 mm|
|Height||3.78 in / 9.6 cm||3.78 in / 9.6 cm||3.72 in / 9.4 cm|
|Cleaning coverage||2691 ft2 / 250 m2||2691 ft2 / 250 m2||1937 ft2 / 180 m2|
|App||Mi Home||Mi Home||Mi Home|
|Warranty||12 months||12 months||12 months|
|Release date||September 2016||April 2019||August 2019|
Main differences between the Xiaomi robot vacuum cleaners?
- Suction power. The Xiaomi Mi Robot has the weakest suction and the latest MiJia is most powerful among the Xiaomi robots. It causes better cleaning performance on carpets.
- Battery life. The Mi Robot and MiJia 1S run for the whole 150 minutes. The latest model would clean for around 110 minutes on one charge.
- Mapping technology. All three machines are guided by Lidar, the MiJia 1S also has a visual sensor for more precious mapping.
- Multimapping. The MiJia 1S and latest STYJ02YM store up to three maps and are more suitable for multi-level homes.
- Climbing ability. The Mi Robot’s crossing ability is 15 mm which makes it not suitable for thick carpets. The newest models have 20 mm and are better for deep cleaning.
- Mopping. Only the Xiaomi Mijia STYJ02YM has mopping. Its water tank is unique and holds water & dust allowing the robot mopping and sweeping at the same time.
- Virtual walls and room cleaning. The two new models support virtual walls and room cleaning while the Mi Robot only has zoned cleaning.
- Dustbin size. The newest cleaner has the biggest dustbin which helps it to hold more pet hair and dust.
- Alexa integration. Only the Mi Robot is integrated with Alexa and Google Home. We hope the new models will be compatible with smart voice assistants soon as well.
- Battery size. The newest Xiaomi has the smallest battery volume.
- Height. The latest STYJ02YM is the shorter. It helps the robot to reach some places under furniture other Xiaomi cleaners can’t.
- Price. The Mi Robot is the cheapest, the STYJ02YM has a ~$500 price tag which is expected since it is a premium model.
What are digital virtual walls & restricted areas?
Virtual walls & restricted area is a feature that prevents the robot from going to certain areas such as cluttered zones or kids rooms. Overall, this option keeps the robot off unwanted areas.
What is zoned cleaning?
Zoned cleaning is needed when you need to vacuum high-traffic areas or messy zones. By drawing a rectangle on the map, you let the robot know where it should work. The feature is similar to the room cleaning, although zoned cleaning is more specific.
What is room cleaning?
The room cleaning is helpful when you don’t want to clean the whole house, only one or a few rooms. Once a robot creates a map, it divides the map into separate areas which you can merge or divide the way you want and even name each zone. Further, it will help the robot know where exactly to clean. You can also schedule the robot to work in a particular room or two at a specific time.
What is Lidar?
Lidar or the LDS laser is a technology that uses to build a map of a cleaning area. It scans the surrounding and creates a plan of the floor. Now the robot vacuum knows where it needs to clean. Mapping helps the robot to navigate more efficient since it doesn’t go over the same spots twice also saving battery life. Cleaners that are guided by Lidar finish cleaning faster. Xiaomi robot cleaners are equipped with the LDS laser. The Xiaomi MiJia 1S, in addition to the laser, has a visual sensor.
Robots that don’t have mapping bouncing around until their battery dies, they don’t learn your floor plan.
Why battery life matters?
Yes, it does matter if you live in an average to big size house. Normally the cleaners that have mapping cover more area for the same time the ones that randomly move do. If the robot that does not learn your home layout has 110 minutes of battery life does not mean it will cover the whole house on one charge while the one that remembers your floor plan will clean everywhere until it finishes the cycle.
The longer a robot lasts the more it will cover on one charge before finishing cleaning.
The Xiaomi Mi Robot and MiJia 1S run for the whole 2.5 hours while the latest Xiaomi STYJ02YM can do the job for up to 110 minutes which is also a good result but it would need more time to cover a bigger house.
What is recharge & resume?
When the battery runs lower than 20%, a robot automatically returns to the charging dock, juice up to 80% and then resumes cleaning from the same spot it left off. Mapping allows the robot to know where it has been so it knows exactly where it was before needed to go charging. This feature is useful for people who have big homes, it helps the cleaner to cover a bigger area on one charge.
The Xiaomi robot cleaners support recharging.
Xiaomi Mi Robot
The Xiaomi Mi Robot is the first robot vacuum that was released in 2016. It is equipped with a HEPA filter that makes the robot safe for allergy and asthma sufferers. Equipped with 12 sensors including the LDS laser that helps to create a map of the cleaning area, the Xiaomi navigates in a back-in-forth pattern safely avoiding furniture and falling offs.
Because of a processor inside you can track the Mi Robot movements in real-time by using the app. It helps to understand where the robot has been and where it needs to clean.
In the Mi Home app, you can switch between cleaning modes, schedule the machine to work at a specific time, start/stop the robot, etc.
The Mi Robot supports zoned cleaning. It is helpful if you want the cleaner to pay attention to some areas more than to others.
Equipped with a 5,200 mAh battery, the robot lasts up to 150 minutes before needs to recharge covering about 2691 ft2 / 250 m2. Other than battery life, the Mi Robot has a 15 mm climbing ability which makes it not suitable for thick carpets. It does have strong suction delivering 1,800 Pa but because of the wheels that can’t cross some obstacles, it is almost impossible for the vacuum to go on thick carpets.
Nevertheless, the Xiaomi Mi Robot does a superb job on bare floors and carpets, safe for those who suffer from allergy and asthma and is perfect for big houses.
Get the Xiaomi Mi Robot if you:
- Are looking for a budget robot vacuum based on the LDS laser
- Live in a big house
- Don’t have thick carpets
- Have an Alexa-enabled device
- Want a robot vacuum that is featured with useful options but costs less than most of the smart cleaners
Xiaomi Mijia 1S Robot Vacuum
The Xiaomi Mijia 1S Robot Vacuum is the second model in the family. It has stronger suction than the Mi Robot and more smart features.
Aside from the LDS laser, the robot also equipped with a visual sensor for a more precious mapping. It has a newer processor than the Mi Robot does that builds a map faster and helps to create a more efficient way of cleaning.
It supports the same features the Mi Robot does and in addition, the robot has blocked off areas and can directly work in a specific room. Thanks to the visual sensor, the MiJia 1S recognizes rooms by dividing the map into separate rooms. When the map is created, you can schedule the cleaner to work in the kitchen/bedroom at a specific time. This option is useful if you don’t need to clean the whole house.
The new MiJia 1S supports multi-floor which means it can save up to 3 maps and is suitable for multi-story houses. This feature is still in beta and might not work correctly.
Get the Xiaomi MiJia 1S if you:
- Live in a large house
- Have a multi-story household
- Your home mostly covered with carpets
- Don’t need mopping
- Want extra features such as AI room identification
- Want an advanced mapping system. The laser scans a cleaning area faster than the Mi Robot. A visual sensor helps to build an accurate map
Xiaomi MiJia STYJ02YM
Can do mopping/sweeping, mopping and sweeping
The Xiaomi Mijia STYJ02YM is the first robot vacuum in the family that does mopping and sweeping. Equipped with a HEPA filter, the robot is safe for allergy and asthma sufferers. The climbing ability increased from 0.59 / 15 mm to 0.79 / 20 mm and now the robot can go on thick carpets and cross thresholds.
It also has stronger suction of 2100 Pa compared to 1,800 (Mi Robot) and 2,000 Pa (Xiaomi MiJia 1S). Though battery life is shorter, going from 150 minutes, the new robot got 110 minutes on low power.
The most significant update of the latest model — mopping function. The robot has two containers in the box, one is for dust and the other one is for water and dust. There is also a full water tank option available to buy separately if you need the tank to hold more volume. Also, it comes with two mopping cloths, one for wet mopping, the other one for half wet mopping. The robot follows a Y-shape path in mopping mode. It helps to mop more efficiently. The Xiaomi has three water level control for different mopping needs.
The Mi Home app supports virtual boundaries, zoned cleaning and also room cleaning. It can be scheduled to work directly in a certain room or two. Thanks to HEPA filtration, the robot is safe for people who suffer from allergy and asthma.
Get the Xiaomi MiJia STYJ02YM if you:
- Need extra power
- Have some bare floor area
- Hape a pet. Stronger suction and HEPA filter is suitable for pet owners
- Live in a house covered with thin and thick carpets
- Want a robot with an advanced mopping
- Want advanced smart features such as intelligent room cleaning, zoned cleaning and restricted areas
- Live in a small to average size house
- Want to get a premium robot vacuum
- Ready to spend extra
Price & Where to Buy
Xiaomi Mijia 1S on Gearbest — $340
Xiaomi MiJia STYJ02YM on Gearbest — $530
The Mi Robot is a budget model and lack many useful features but still can be a good helper for those who are looking for a budget machine and don’t have thick carpets.
The MiJia 1S is a great pick for anyone who wants a robot vacuum with premium features for a reasonable price. At $340 you get a powerful robot vacuum with a long-lasting battery and room cleaning.
If you need mopping, extra suction, a bigger container and better cleaning performance, consider getting the Xiaomi Mijia STYJ02YM. It is a high-end model with many smart bells that is suitable for homes with carpets, bare floors and pet owners.