TOP 5 Best Robot Vacuums with Intelligent Mapping Technology
Aug 13, 2018 6 min read
Earlier we've reviewed the 4 of the most powerful smart robot vacuum cleaners. Since it's been a while, some manufacturers released new models that definitely worth to be mentioned, we decided to dive deep into the 5 best smart robot cleaners of 2018.
|Specs & Features||360 S6||Xiaomi Roborock||ECOVACS Deebot Ozmo 930||Neato Botvac Connected D7||Roomba 980|
|Operation time||120 min||150 min||110 min||120 min||120 min|
|Battery capacity||3200 mAh||5200 mAh||3200 mAh||4200 mAh||300 mAh|
|Suction power||1800 Pa||2000 Pa||N/A||2000 Pa||1670 Pa|
|Dustbin capacity||400 ml||500 ml||450 ml||700 ml||600 ml|
|Amazon Alexa/Google Home||limited support||limited support||yes||yes||yes|
|Auto recharge and resume||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Full bin indicator||no||yes||no||no||yes|
|Water tank capacity||150 ml||140 ml||N/A||-||-|
|Noise level||55 dB||60 dB||65 dB||64 dB||70 dB|
|Climbing ability||0.67 in / 17 mm||0.59 in / 15 mm||0.63 in / 16 mm||0.75 in / 19 mm||0.79 in / 20 mm|
|Buy on Amazon||Check it out||Check it out||Check it out||Check it out||Check it out|
Home size matters when it comes to buying a robot vacuum cleaner. Even though every robot with mapping has a recharge & resume feature which means it covers more areas in one session, the operation time is important. It takes a few hours to recharge before your device gets to finish its job.
120 minutes is enough to cover medium and big-sized homes. If you live in a small household you can go to any of these machines. It would take less time to finish the cleaning which is great, right?
Carpet boost is the feature that increases suction power to its maximum level once the robot recognizes carpeted surface. Every robot comes with it except Neato.
Each model from our list performs great on low and medium-pile carpets providing deep cleaning. Along with strong suction power, the robot has the main brush that scratches the surface catching up dirt, dust and pet hair and transferring it into the dustbin.
Please note that none robot vacuum cleaner is able to deep clean thick carpets.
Bare floor performance
Neato and Roomba perform great on the bare floor. Each of the robots has the strong suction that catches everything from the floor. However, none of these machines comes with wet mopping.
Each of the 360 S6, Roborock and ECOVACS are equipped with a water container and mop attachment.
Please note, that the mopping feature is not able to remove stubborn stains.
The Neato is equipped with two brushes that were designed to pick up pet hair.
The Roborock comes with a 3-stage tangle-free design that causes less hair wrapped around its main brush and the wheels.
The ECOVACS Deebot Ozmo 930 has two options for cleaning: the main brush and tangle-free suction inlet. The inlet works best on bare floors preventing hair-wrapping.
On the other hand, the Roomba 980 get silicone rollers that are very easy to maintain and don't have to be cleaned after every cleaning.
The 360 S6 handles pet hair with ease even though it doesn't have special tangle-free rollers. It's main brush look-a-like Roborock's roller which means the 360 S6 needs to be cleaned from hair after the robot has finished its job.
In general, all these devices are ideal for picking up pet hair. They come with different types of cleaning brushes yet every robot performs great.
Laser vs Camera: what is the difference
Only the Roomba 980 comes with a camera sensor, other robots in our list use LIDAR.
The laser is more accurate when it comes to building a room's layout. Along with that LIDAR allows the robot to work in the dark.
The only laser downside could be the fact that it is located inside the robot's "head" making it hard to reach some places under furniture.
Virtual wall controls areas creating an invisible barrier that the cleaner will not cross. The Roomba 980 comes with a physical dual virtual wall barrier.
Every other robot from our list supports an app that allows creating as many virtual walls as you want to.
Robot vacuum cleaner as a part of your smart home ecosystem
If you own any Amazon Echo or Google Home you might want your robot to be integrated with it to be able to control it with your voice.
360 S6 and Xiaomi Roborock comes with a limited support so far meaning that these cleaners are not suitable for your needs. Roomba, Deebot, and Neato have no problem with smart voice assistants integration.
A smartphone app allows to switch between cleaning modes, turn on/off a cleaner, manually manage its movements, schedule it etc. Additional features include map tracking, creating virtual walls depends on each model.
Every robot from the list comes with an app that shows the created map, allows seeing the robot's movements in real-time and where it has already cleaned. The Xioami and Neato apps have an ability to create digital virtual walls keeping the robot off some areas. The 360 S6 and ECOVACS DEEBOT Ozmo 930 apps are able to select forbidden zones which is similar to digital virtual walls.
The Xiaomi, 360 and Deebot apps are featured with customized areas. Create the cleaning area by drawing it on the screen on your smartphone so your robot knows where to clean.
The ECOVACS Deebot Ozmo 930 app is the most featured in our opinion. Along with customizing special areas, selecting forbidden zones, it allows prioritizing the rooms you'd want the robot to clean first. The best option ECOVACS app comes with is recognizing surface thus Deebot doesn't make your carpets wet when the mop mode is on. We haven't seen anything like that before which makes ECOVACS worth every penny of its cost.
Let's get to basics maintenance and what you have to do to keep your device clean.
- Sensors: look after all the sensors. Clean it from dust once in a while.
- Side brush: unwrap all the hair that might be collected around.
- Dustbin: empty the dustbin after every cleaning. The Roborock and Roomba have the full dustbin indicator that shows exactly when the container has to be emptied. Wash it with water occasionally.
- Wheels: the hair could be tangled around the wheels so check it out.
- Main brush: the main reason why the robot could stop working it when something stuck in its cleaning brush. Clean it from all the hair, dirt and small particulars after each session. The Roomba 980 is equipped with silicone rollers that are designed as tangle-free which means that it is much easier to handle pet and long human hair.
- App: update the app regularly.
Luckily you will not have any issues with finding additional accessories on Amazon.
The 360 S6 is the new model through which means we hope to see it on Amazon sooner or later. At this moment its accessories available to buy on Gearbest.
What consumers complain about?
The 360 S6 is the new model. There is no information about any potential issues with the robot.
The Xiaomi Roborock: consumers from the US have some issues with connecting the device to Wi-Fi.
The ECOVACS Deebot Ozmo 930: since it is new on the market we haven't found anything consumers had to face with. Most of the complains are about losing the robot its data which we've already talked about before and figured out how to fix it.
The Neato Botvac D7 Connected: because of it's D-shape, the robot gets stuck in tight places. Please note, that its app required 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi.
The Roomba 980: consumers complain about Roomba bumping things too harshly and getting stuck once in a while. However, the robot doesn't have any issues with its app.
Quick guide through every robot cleaner
- The 360 S6. The cheapest machine from the list that provides great cleaning performance. It can sweep and mop, its app is featured with a list of options that help to manage the whole working process. For the price of $350, 360 S6 is a decent robot vacuum worth spending money on.
- The Xiaomi Roborock is one of the best on the market for the price tag. It comes with the strongest suction power and the longest lasting battery. It comes with a rubber bumper that decreases its noise level making it the 2nd quiet cleaner on our list after the 360 S6.
- The ECOVACS Deebot Ozmo 930 has the most awesome app we've seen so far. It is able to recognize surface and mop only bare floors without getting your carpets wet. Along with that, there are options to prioritize cleaning areas and forbidden zones which makes it much easier for you to manage the whole operation. It comes with the main brush and suction inlet that causes less hair tangling. The main brush works better on carpets while the suction inlet is perfect for bare floors.
- The Neato Botvac Connected D7 comes with two multi-surfaces cleaning brushes for pet hair cleaning and bare floors. Its D-shape is ideal for corners and edges cleaning. It performs great on thin and medium carpets, and its brushes are designed to be the best at picking up pet hair.
- The Roomba 980. Roomba is equipped with silicone tangle-free rollers that are very easy to maintain. Roomba doesn't have any issues with hair tangling because of its double-rotating brushes. The robot is known for its great performance on carpets. Even though the machine doesn't have mopping, its rollers work great on bare floors.
Price & Where to buy
The 360 S6 is only available to buy on Gearbest so far. It is the cheapest cleaner here and comes with a $360 price tag which is a great deal considering its performance and featured.
You can get the Xiaomi Roborock on Amazon for around $540.
Find the ECOVACS Deebot Ozmo 930 on Amazon where it costs $500.
The Neato Botvac Connected D7 comes with a price tag a little bit over $700.
The Roomba 980 is available to buy on Amazon where you can get it for $800.
Found some spelling or grammatical error? Please help us to fix it!
Since English is not our first language, you may notice spelling and grammatical errors in the article. We would be very grateful if you could help us fix the mistakes. Just select the confusing part of the text with your mouse and press Ctrl + Enter, then you will be able to send us a corrected version of the text. Thank you for your effort!
WHERE TO BUY
Related Robot Vacuum Comparisons
- Comparing Xiaomi Roborock S55 Black vs. Samsung POWERbot R9250
- Compare iCLEBO Alfa vs. Xiaomi Roborock S50 (2nd Generation)
- iRobot Roomba 880 vs. 360 S6 Robot Vacuum Cleaner Comparison
- ECOVACS Deebot Ozmo 930 vs. Neato Botvac D6 Connected Comparison Chart
- Comparing Xiaomi Xiaowa E35 (C352) vs. iRobot Roomba 980
- Dibea GT200 Review: a Budget Robot Vacuum with a Gyroscope Navigation
- Can the Alfawise WIN660 Make Your Windows Crystal Clean? The Ultimate Robotic Window Cleaner Review
- Meet the Dibea GT200: a Budget Robot Vacuum With a Smart Gyroscope Navigation System
- Top 10 Best Robot Vacuum Cleaners For Pet Hair
- The Xiaomi Roborock S55 Review: an Intelligent and Powerful Robot Vacuum Cleaner You Always Wished To Have