Roborock has released the new product Roborock S5 Max at IFA, 2019 in Berlin. What it looks like and why we are excited to see it coming to the market?
The new model looks similar to its previous sibling - the Roborock S6. It has two buttons on top, instead of three, a soft bumper that reduces the noise level, a similar charging dock to the one that comes with the Roborock S5 and some new smart features.
I would say the S5 Max is a mix of both: the Roborock S5 and S6. With the same specifications, the new model has an advanced mopping system, a bigger water tank, longer battery life, a new AI-powered resumption, and many other features we are going to talk about later.
Roborock S5 Max vs. Roborock S5 vs. Roborock S6 comparison chart
Roborock S5 Max
|Suction Power (Pa)||2,000||2,000||2,000|
|CPU||Unknown||ARM Allwinner R16 Quad-Core||Unknown|
|Working Time (min)||180||150||150|
|Battery capacity (mAh)||Li-ion 5,200||Li-ion, 5,200||Li-ion, 5,200|
|Rated power, Watts||58||58||58|
|Noise in min/max mode (dB)||N/A||45-60 (50% quieter than the S5)||54-67|
|Dust Bin Capacity (ml/oz)||460 / 15.5||480 / 16.9||480 / 16.9|
|Water Box Capacity (ml)||290||140||140|
|Amazon Alexa/Google Home Support||yes||yes||yes|
|Adjustable water supply||yes (in the app)||yes (in the water tank)||no|
|Mopping attachments||Microfiber mop||Microfiber mop + 10 disposable wipes||Microfiber mop|
|Central cleaning brush||yes (detachable parts, easy to maintain)||yes (detachable parts, easy to maintain)||yes (solid)|
|Side brush type||silicone||silicone||bristle|
|Mapping and smart navigation||yes (LDS + SLAM, improved, ~20% faster cleaning)||yes (LDS + SLAM, improved, ~20% faster cleaning)||yes (LDS + SLAM)|
|Intelligent carpet identification||yes||yes||yes|
|Selected rooms scheduling||yes||yes||no|
|Selected rooms scheduling (mopping mode)||yes||no||no|
|Multi-floor support||up to 3 maps stored||up to 3 maps stored||no|
|Automatic Recharge and Resumption||yes (AI powered)||yes||yes|
|Digital customized areas||zoned cleaning, no-go lines, no-mop lines, blocked areas||zoned cleaning, no-go lines, blocked areas||zoned cleaning, no-go lines, blocked areas|
|Number of sensors||14 types of sensors||14||13|
|App||Roborock (iOS, Android)||Mi Home (iOS, Android), Roborock (iOS, Android)||Mi Home (iOS, Android)|
|Filter||Washable E11-grade HEPA||Washable E11-grade HEPA||Washable E11-grade HEPA|
|Barrier Height (in/cm)||0.78 / 2||0.78 / 2||0.78 / 2|
|Weight (lbs/kg)||7.7 / 3.5||7.7 / 3.5||7.7 / 3.5|
|Height (in/cm)||3.78 / 9.6||3.78 / 9.6||3.78 / 9.6|
|Width (in/cm)||13.77 / 35||13.77 / 35||13.77 / 35|
|Warranty||1 year||2 years||1 year|
|Accessories||charging dock, power adapter, mop rack, mop, waterproof pad, manual||charging dock, power cable, water tank, mop, user manual, warranty card, English manual, 10 x disposable wipes, 2 x micro fiber mops||charging dock, charge cable, mopping pad, water tank, cleaning brush, English manual|
|Price||$499 GearBest||$599 GearBest||$499 Amazon
The Roborock S5 Max: what's new?
- Water tank. The new model has a bigger 280 ml (compared to 150 ml) water container that can mop a 65sqm (700sqft) apartment.
- Water level control. Now you can control water volume in the app. In small areas, the robot turns off the water when it goes over the places it's already been. When it's done mopping, the robot shuts off the water leaking to let the mop dry as it returns to the dock.
- Scheduling for mopping. Now you can schedule the robot to mop at a specific time.
- Selected room cleaning. The new feature allows the robot to clean within a certain room or a few.
- Scheduling to work in a specific room. You can make the robot work in a particular room at a specific time.
- Now it can go three times before recharging. In mopping mode, the robot cleans more than 3-times in one go to leave your bare floor sparkling clean.
- No-mop zones. The new feature allows keeping your carpets dry when the robot is mopping. Once you take off the mop unit, the barriers disappear. You can mix them up with virtual no-go zones (for vacuuming) if needed.
- Longer runtime. The Roborock S5 MAX runs up to 180 minutes on one charge.
- New efficient navigation. In narrow spaces like corridors, the robot uses a different navigation pattern which saves battery life and allows finishing the job faster.
The new Roborock S5 Max runs for the whole 180 minutes before needs to recharge.
When the battery runs out of charge, the robot returns to recharge up to the level it needs to finish the job and then resumes cleaning. While the previous generations needed to recharge up to 80% before resumption, the new Roborock S5 Max calculates how much space remains to be cleaned and returns to the dock to top up enough power to finish saving time on recharging.
The biggest improvements in the latest model - mopping. It has a bigger water tank (280 ml) compared to 150 ml the Roborock S5/S6 have.
In mopping mode, the cleaner can go up to three times over the cleaning area covering a 65sqm (700sqft) apartment or a 200sqm (2600sqft) home if it's running once.
In the app, you can control the level of water dripping depending on light of heavy jobs. The Roborock S5 doesn't have any water control, the Roborock S6 has a toggle on a water tank and two levels of water dripping. To switch the toggle, you need to remove the mopping cloth while you can do the same in the app as the Roborock S5 Max mops.
Choose the right water flow via the Roborock app
If the robot cleans small areas, it turns off the water when it goes over the areas it has already mopped. After finishing the job, it shuts off the water allowing the mop to dry before the Roborock returns to the dock.
Many people wanted the Roborock to keep carpets dry when mopping and the manufacturer had heard them! Now you can set no-mop barriers so the carpet will not get wet when the robot is mopping. You can also mix them up with no-go zones when the cleaner is vacuuming. The no-mop zones and barriers disappear once the mopping attachments are off.
Leave your carpets dry while the S5 Max is mopping with the new no-mop zones feature
What is the difference between no-go zones and barriers? No-Go Zones come in a rectangle shape and are limited in terms of changing the shape while no-go barriers are tapes which you can set depending on the shape of the zone you don't want the vacuum to go to.
The video made by herr hieber
Mapping and navigation
The newest Roborock S5 Max is equipped with 14 types of sensors including 4 cliff sensors and Lidar for more precise mapping and navigation. These sensors let you know whether the filter gets clogged or it is in position, and whether the water tank is inserted or not. You will get a notification as well as the robot will tell you by voice if there is something wrong with any of these parts.
Selected room cleaning
Once the robot creates a map, it divides it into separate rooms understanding where the rooms are. These zones can be renamed, merged, or divided the way you want them to be. When the map and rooms are ready, you can schedule the Roborock to work in a particular room. You can also schedule it to mop in a certain room or two. It is helpful when you don't want to clean the whole house. This feature is presented in the Roborock S6 and lacks in the Roborock S5.
Same as the previous Roborock S6, the Roborock S5 Max has an efficient cleaning pattern. It saves battery energy in narrow spaces, thus finishing cleaning about 20% faster.
Aside from understanding rooms location, you can also set cleaning zones, the place where the robot should clean, and as we said before, no-mop/no-go zones to keep the machine off some areas.
The Roborock S5 Max delivers 2,000 Pa of suction. It climbs an obstacle up to 20 mm (0.8 in) which makes it suitable for thicker carpets. The robot is able to recognize carpets. It boosts suction power once it is stepping on carpet providing the best pickup.
With a disassembled cleaning brush, the S5 Max is ideal for pet owners; the roller is easy to maintain.
Because of the new mopping system and a 290 ml water container, the latest Roborock covers a bigger area and is more suitable for light jobs or heavier messes but do not expect it to remove stubborn stains though it is better at mopping than the previous S6.
Roborock S5 Max vs. Roborock S5: what has changed?
- Longer runtime. The new model runs 30 minutes longer than the S5.
- More efficient navigation. The Roborock S5 Max adapts to the shape of the cleaning area choosing the most efficient way of cleaning, thus saving battery energy and finishing faster.
- Selected room cleaning feature. Now you can choose in which room the Roborock can clean. With this option, the S5 Max also can be scheduled to work in a specific room at a particular time.
- It can go over three times while cleaning. In mopping mode, the S5 Max can either go over the same cleaning area three times or cover more with one pass.
- No-mop barriers. Now you can keep the robot off carpets in mopping mode by using the no-mop zones and also set no-go lines for a full cleaning control.
- Bigger water tank. The S5 Max has a 280 ml water tank compared to the Roborock S5 140 ml container.
- Has a new water dripping level feature. The Roborock app allows setting the level of water dripping.
- Schedule for mopping. Set the robot to mop in a certain room or two at a specific time.
- Intelligent recharging. The Roborock S5 returns to the dock, recharges up to 80% and then resuming cleaning, the new model calculates how much power it needs to finish cleaning, and juicing up to the level it needs.
- Cleaning brush. The new model is equipped with a brush that has detachable parts which makes it easier to maintain and 250% more bristles for better pickup.
Roborock S5 MAX vs. Roborock S6: is the new model better?
- Bigger water tank. The S5 Max has a 280 ml water container.
- Water flowing in the app vs. in the tank. The Roborock S6 water container has a toggle to switch between two levels of water flowing, while the S5 Max water dripping can be controlled via the Roborock app.
- No-Mop barriers. Now when the robot is mopping, you can set no-mop zones and barriers as well as no-go lines and barriers (for sweeping) to leave carpers dry. The no-mop zones disappear once you take off the mopping attachments.
- It can go over three times while cleaning. In mopping mode, the robot can make three passes or cover a bigger area before the container gets dry.
- Schedule for mopping. This feature allows scheduling the Roborock to mop in a specific room or two. The Roborock S6 only allows scheduling the robot to sweep.
- Intelligent recharging. While the S6 needed to recharge up to 80% before resuming cleaning, the new model calculates how much power it needs to finish cleaning and recharges exactly to the level that would allow getting the job done without spending time on recharging the battery to the full capacity.
When will it be available to buy?
The Roborock S5 Max is already available to buy on GearBest for $499.99. You can get it even cheaper — for $439.99 with the coupon code GBROBOROCKMAX.
You can also get it on Aliexpress for ~$499.
The Roborock S5 and S6 are one of the best robot cleaners in their price range. The company has stepped forward by making the new product better improving the mopping experience for its users, keeping the Roborock S5 Max as powerful and having a user-friendly app. The model meets expectations for those who live in a big house, have pets, many carpets and also some area without carpet since now it is a robot vacuum that is safe for your carpets when mopping. We can't wait for the product to come to the market!