2nd Generation Xiaomi MiJia Roborock is The Most Powerful Smart Robot on The Market
Nov 24, 2017 8 min read
What distinguishes the second generation of Xiaomi Roborock? More suction power, the new mopping function, an upgraded app and many other things we love in this robot vacuum. It is equipped with intelligent mechanisms such as intelligent carpet identification, mapping function, the ability to choose the most efficient path of cleaning, etc. Moreover, this device works for 2.5 hours having 2000 Pa of suction power. Sounds great? So is the new generation Xiaomi MiJia Roborock better than anything on the market? Let's find out.
The Next Generation Xiaomi MiJia Roborock Review
2nd Generation Xiaomi Roborock features:
- Probably the robot gets the largest capacity lithium-ion battery in the industry — 5200 mah
- 2.5 hours working time or cleaning about 250 square meters (2700 sq. ft) of house area
- Intelligent identification of carpets. It opens the maximum suction force once the robot identifies the carpet, and after leaving it the Mijia returns to regular mode
- Designed with 13 sensors including LDS that help the robot not to bump into the furniture. It avoids falling and keeps it at a distance of 10 mm from the wall Laser Distance Sensor maps the cleaning area of multiple rooms
- With the MiJia app, you can create virtual walls, navigate the robot to clean a specific area, schedule the cleaning time multiple times in a day, and many other cool things
- The ability to overcome obstacles of up to 2 cm in height
- The new mopping function makes the robot perfect for any type of surface (except high pile carpets). It can mop for about 45-60 minutes
- 2000 Pa suction power makes the MiJia Roborock the most powerful robot vacuum in the industry
- A LED indicator shows the battery level The new washable HEPA filter is better than the previous HEPA version for people who suffer from asthma or allergies
- The 2nd Generation Xiaomi comes with closed silence soft cotton and a porous air sieve that provide a low-noise cleaning process
- Forget about hair everywhere you see because the new Xiaomi robot vacuum prevents hair tangling due to the three anti-hair designs on the wheel, side brush, and rolling brush
- Once the battery power is low, the MiJia returns to the base, recharges, and then goes on to finish the work
Video review of Xiaomi Mijia Roborock 2nd Generation
Robot vacuum, charging dock, charge cable, mopping pad, water tank, brush cleaning tool.
Xiaomi Robot Vacuum Cleaner 2 - Sweeps & Mops
The built-in plant bionic tank filter absorbs the water keeping enough water content on the mop cloth. When the robot stops working the water stops dripping too. The water tank was designed to easily installing it into the bottom of the device.
The built-in plant bionic tank filter absorbs the water keeping enough water content on the mop cloth. When the robot stops working, the water stops dripping. The water tank was designed for easy installation in the bottom of the device. The main brush with V-type bristles (with rotation speed of 1350 revolutions per minute) in addition to the side Z-form brushes (330 revolutions per minute rotation speed) provide the maximum effective cleaning. The water box holds around 100 ml enough to mop for 45-60 minutes. The intelligent system works by the main principle of the plant bionic system and controls the water by itself. The sliding mechanism is designed in such a way that water is spread wisely, only when the robot is moving. To empty a 500 ml dustbin, just open the lid of the robot vacuum cleaner.
The most powerful vacuum robot with a long-lasting battery
The new Xiaomi Roborock comes with a 5200 mAh Li-Ion battery, the barrier height is increased from 1.5 cm to 2 cm, the suction power is 2000 Pa, which is awe-inspiring because even the Roomba 980 designed for carpets delivers 1670 Pa. A LED battery indicator displays the charge level via different colors while the robot is charging. The white light means the battery charge level is more than 50%, yellow - less than 50%, red - the battery charge level drops below 20%.
- Powerful motor with 2000 Pa power suction. For example, the first version Xiaomi Mi Robot Vacuum had 1800 Pa while the latest Roomba 980 delivers 1670 Pa. It deeply cleans carpets, perfect for mostly carpeted houses.
- While other robot vacuum cleaners that are even more expensive offer about 120-130 minutes of running, the Xiaomi MiJia works the entire 150 minutes covering about 250 square meters (2700 sq. ft) of house area, providing 2000Pa of suction power. Speaking of power, it is amazing that the battery lasts for so long; it has a powerful motor that cleans carpets with ease.
- Xiaomi MiJia Robotock easily climbs up to 2 cm high obstacles.
- The tornado system coordinates the side and roller brushes providing deep floor cleaning.
Intelligent identification of carpets
This smart device usually works in normal suction mode, but the maximum suction mode activates once it recognizes the carpet to provide the high-quality deep cleaning.
Three tangle-free design
Tangling hair can be annoying while cleaning the main brush of other robovacs, Roborock's main and side brushes are tangle-free along with its wheels. The design helps to protect the device from overheating with the bearing stuck to the motor.
Smart Navigation Technology
Laser Distance Sensor (LDS)
Along with the LDS that scans the room at 5x360 degrees per second, Roborock use the SLAM algorithm. The Laser Distance Sensor maps out the interior helping the robot better navigate while the Simultaneous Localization and Mapping calculates the most efficient way of cleaning without getting lost and provides more efficient performance.
Sensors that help navigate the Xiaomi Roborock
Xiaomi Roborock is equipped with 13 sensors including LDS that help the robot navigate and provides better cleaning performance.
- The 4 cliff sensors help the robot avoid the failure.
- A wall sensor keeps the device from bumping at a distance of 10 mm.
- Roborock was designed with 3mm slight collision and an extra soft crash bumper to protect your furniture.
- A technology called the "omnidirectional pressure sensor" can now avoid areas where the robot bumps with its "head".
- The drop sensor activates when the robot is lifted so it stops working immediately.
- Double Electronic Sensor identifies virtual walls.
- With infrared technology, the charging back sensor makes recharging more efficient.
Washable HEPA filter
The E11 washable grade filter designed with a Teflon cover provides 95% effective cleaning. Wash it with water, let it dry, and the robot is ready to go; but do it only once in a week. Xiaomi doesn't include extra filters, so you have to change it once a year.
Low noise operation even with the powerful motor
Even the tough Roborock has a powerful motor that works at a low noise level because of its new cotton and porous air sleeve construction. The robot will not disturb you while working.
Operate Roborok with the upgraded MiJia App
The new MiJia app deserves bit more attention since it is really great compared to everything we've seen. Three processors located inside the robot track its movements in real-time. The new Mijia application syncs with the Roborock so you are able to see the map of the house and easily navigate the vacuum by drawing the special area of the map on your phone (as shown on the picture below). This feature is incredible because the robot can clean a specific area of your home without actually using a virtual wall or just blocking it. You can also navigate the robot by tapping on your screen and it will go towards the target.
The Mijia app allows you to monitor the cleaning process, schedule the cleaning time whenever you want (even multiple times in a day), create virtual walls, upgrade to the new version, and choose the name of your new friend. You can track the whole process and manage your robot even when away from home.
|Xiaomi MiJia Roborock Dimension|
|Width||13.77 in / 35 cm|
|Length||13.9 in / 35.3 cm|
|Height||3.79 in / 9.65 cm|
|Weight||7.7 lbs / 3.5 kg|
Recharge & Resume Feature
The improved charging base has a protection from an over-current, overvoltage and short circuits. When the robot's battery runs out, it will find the docking station using 2 laser sensors.
It is good to have the recharge and resume feature. If you have a bigger household than average, the Xiaomi Roborock will automatically clean on its own after recharging in case it didn't cover the whole area on a single charge. But in most cases, 2.5 hours of working is enough to clean the entire house, so Roborock would probably complete its job without returning after the battery is full.
Who 2nd Gen Xiaomi Roborock was designed for?
The Xiaomi Roborock comes with a lot of features that will make your life much easier, especially when it comes to cleaning your floor.
- The robot is the perfect alternative to an upright cleaner for people who have pets because the tangle-free design makes it easier to collect long human hair along with pet hair without getting tangled around the main brush.
- It is perfect for all bare floor types including tile, laminate and hardwood because of the mopping feature. Now you don't need to worry about wet cleaning. Just install the water container and click “Start” using your smartphone or manually press the "Home" button.
- Roborock's powerful motor is designed to deep clean houses with mostly carpeted surfaces.
- For those with a bigger house than average, this device is ideal because of its long working time and recharge & resume feature. While other robots randomly navigate for about 100-120 minutes and get recharged when the battery runs low, Roborock cleans the whole place for 150 minutes and resumes after recharging from the where it stopped.
- Because it is an app-based robovac, you can manage it from your phone. For example, if you need to clean the floor because visitors are coming in the evening, but you are not home, just press "Start" on your screen and by the time you are home, Roborock will have already finished its job.
- HEPA filtration inside is good for people subject to potential pulmonary side-effects like asthma and allergies.
Where to buy Xiaomi Roborock 2nd generation?
We've found the best offers on the market:
- On Amazon — for $549
- On GearBest — for $419.99 with the code IT$APRBS that is valid until July 30.
- Rose Gold version on GearBest — for $550.
- The 2000 Pa motor makes the Xiaomi Roborock one of the most powerful robot vacuums in the industry
- With the 5200 mAh battery, the device provides long working time for about 2.5 hours or the ability to clean about 250 square meters (2700 sq. ft) until it needs to recharge
- The new version is 2-in-1. It comes with 2 functions: sweeping & mopping
- The new upgraded MiJia app helps manage the robot while you are not home, schedule it at a specific time, or track its movement in real-time, etc.
- SLAM algorithm creates the most efficient way of cleaning using an LDS sensor that scans its surroundings for 360 degrees, 180 times per second, to map out the interior of your home
- Washable HEPA filter
- Designed with a dustbin and water bin that are easy to maintain
- Barrier height has been increased from 1.5 cm from in the first Xiaomi Mi Robot model to 2 cm in the new one
- The new smart carpet detection technology recognizes the carpet and turns on the maximum mode
- Thanks to the charging back technology, the Roborock is able to recharge after cleaning and then get back to finish its work.
- The price is above average especially comparing the robot with other ILIFE or Xiaomi vacuum cleaners. It is on sale for about $600 but worth every penny spent on it.
- Few accessories are included in the box.
Alternative / Similar products to consider
If suction power is important to you, we recommend the latest Roomba 980, although it is more expensive and doesn't mop.
Another good alternative is the Neato Botvac Connected which comes with a D-shape design claimed to be better for cleaning corners and edges.
The differences between the new Xiaomi MiJia Roborock and the first Xiaomi Mi Robot
Is Xiaomi Roborock worth buying?
The second generation of the Xiaomi MiJia Roborock is definitely better than the Xiaomi Mi Robot, but the price of the device is higher. The suction power of 2000 Pa is enough to pick up long human or most pet hair; and if you have any carpeted surfaces, this vacuum cleaner is perfect for deep cleaning. Plus, the tangle-free technology is an amazing feature for those who don't like to rid all the brushes of everything stuck in them. Constantly untangling stuck hair can be really annoying. Do not forget about the new mopping function because it is a rare feature that makes the Roborock good enough for any surface including hardwood floors, tile, laminate, and carpeting. The upgraded navigation technology allows the robot slide through rooms without bumping into things, mapping the area and choosing the most efficient path to work. The MiJia app is phenomenal; it has a lot of things that even Roomba robots don't do. In any case, it still can be an expensive robot vacuum cleaner with a $600 price tag. But will you find anything similar to the Xiaomi Roborock for the price of $550, having all the features and great cleaning performance? So the main question is the second generation of Xiaomi Roborock vacuum cleaner worth buying? Definitely yes!
WHERE TO BUY
Share with friends:
- ECOVACS Deebot R95 vs Neato Botvac Connected Comparison Guide
- Proscenic 790T vs Roomba 690 Comparison: The Best Rated Robot Vacuums on Amazon
- Xiaomi Xiaowa Review: an Affordable Robot Vacuum With Strong Suction
- What Is a Robot Vacuum Cleaner & Why You Should Buy It?
- Shark Ion 750 vs Roomba 690
Found some spelling or grammatical error? Please help us to fix it!
Since English is not our first language, you may notice spelling and grammatical errors in the article. We would be very grateful if you could help us fix the mistakes. Just select the confusing part of the text with your mouse and press Ctrl + Enter, then you will be able to send us a corrected version of the text. Thank you for your effort!