Roborock S5, the Next Generation of the Xiaomi Mi Robot, Is the Most Powerful Robot Cleaner on the Market
This year, Roborock, the robot vacuum manufacturer introduced their second robot vacuum cleaner: the Roborock S5, which is an improved version of the first Xiaomi Mi Robot vacuum cleaner. Despite the fact, that the first robot was launched by Roborock together with their partner Xiaomi, the second version of the robot called the Roborock S5 (also known as the S50 and S55, the difference is only in color) and the Roborock is a brand on its own (however, they still use the same Mi Home app). What makes the Roborock S5 one of the best devices on the market? This robot vacuum has very similar specifications compared to other flagship robot vacuums such as the Roomba 980 or Neato Botvac D7.
The Roborock S5 comes with a strong suction of 2,000 Pa which makes it one of the most powerful robots on the market. Unlike the cheap robots with a random moving pattern, it builds a map of your house and plans the most effective path to clean all rooms in the shortest possible time. The Roborock S5 can not only sweep but also mop your floors. The upgraded app where you can monitor its movement in real-time, control and schedule the robot and many other great things that customers love in this robot vacuum. Sounds great? So is the new Roborock S5 better than other robot cleaners on the market? Let's find out.
[Update October, 2018] We had a chance to test the robot for you to be able to know about the device more. Here are our thoughts about the Roborock S5.
Robot vacuums mentioned in the article:
Smart Navigation Technology
Inside the tower, there is a Laser Distance Sensor (LDS) that scans surrounding area 360 degrees. The LDS maps out the interior helping the robot to navigate better while the Simultaneous Localization and Mapping System with three processors located inside the robot tracks its movements in real-time calculating the most efficient way of cleaning without getting lost. The Roborock moves in straight lines following the plan is has created.
Sensors that help navigate the Roborock S5
The S5 is equipped with 13 sensors including LDS that help the robot navigate:
- 4 cliff sensors help the robot avoid a fall.
- A wall sensor keeps the robot from bumping into furniture and stops it at a distance of 0.4 inches (10 mm) from the obstacle.
- The Roborock is equipped with an extra soft crash bumper to protect your furniture from scratching.
- A technology called the "omnidirectional pressure sensor" can now avoid areas where the robot bumps with its "head."
- A drop sensor activates when the robot is lifted, so it stops working immediately.
- Double Electronic Sensor identifies virtual walls.
- Thanks to the infrared sensor, the robot can detect the charging dock.
The Roborock cleaning performance
The Mi Robot can climb an obstacle up to 0.4 in (1.5 cm). The Roborock climbing ability is 0.8 in (2 cm). The suction power is 2,000 Pa, (compared to 1,600 Pa that Xiaomi Mi Robot delivers) which is awe-inspiring because even the Roomba 980, the high-end robot from iRobot designed for carpets delivers only 1,700 Pa. The Roborock S5 comes with a 2 mm soft bumper that decreases the noise level.
The robot performs excellently on any type of bare floor, thin and medium-pile carpets. Because of its 3-stage anti-tangle design, the robot doesn't have issues with hair wrapping which makes the robot ideal for pet hair.
Intelligent carpet identification (Carpet Boost)
Once the Roborock identifies carpet, it automatically increases the suction power to maximum providing deeper cleaning. After leaving the carpeted surface, the robot returns to the normal suction mode.
Three-stage tangle-free design
Tangling hair can be annoying while cleaning the main brush of other robotics, Roborock's main and side brushes are tangle-free along with its wheels. The design helps to protect the device from overheating with the bearing stuck to the motor. Please note, this is not a rubber brush that is tangle-free, yet is better than most bristled brushes. You still will get some hair wrapped around the brush.
Wet mopping function
This robot is great for houses with bare floors. It is equipped with a detachable cloth and water tank. The water tank gets inserted by sliding underneath until it clicks. It holds around 100 ml of water, enough to mop for 45-60 minutes. The intelligent system works by the main principle of the bionic plant system and controls water dripping by itself. When the Roborock stops, water is not leaking.
Washable HEPA filter
The E11 washable grade filter is designed with a Teflon cover that provides 95% effective cleaning. Wash it with water and let it dry. Do it only once a week. You have to change it once a year.
A long-lasting battery
The new Roborock comes with a 5,200 mAh Li-Ion battery that provides 2.5 hours of working time which equals 2700 sq. Ft (250 sq. meters) of house area. The Roborock S5 is the only robot cleaner on the market that lasts this long. A LED battery indicator displays the charge level via different colors while the battery is juicing up. The white light means the battery charge level is more than 50%, yellow - less than 50%, red - the charge level drops below 20%.
When the robot's battery runs below 20% of energy, it will find the docking station using two laser sensors, recharge to 80% and finish cleaning from the spot it left off.
Recharge & Resume Feature
The recharge and resume feature will be very helpful for those who have a big house. It can automatically recharge and continue cleaning from the same stop it left off in case it didn't finish cleaning before its battery had died.
Operate the Roborok with the upgraded iOS/Android Mi Home App
With the Mi Home app, you can create virtual walls, navigate the robot to clean a specific area, schedule the cleaning time multiple times per day, etc.
You can watch the Roborock building a map in real-time.
[Update] With the latest update, the Roborock S5 has got zone cleaning. By drawing a rectangle on a created map, you can make the robot to clean within these particular areas.
The new Mi Home application syncs with the Roborock so you can see the map of the house and easily navigate the vacuum by drawing the particular area of the plan on your phone (as shown on the picture below). This feature is incredible because the robot can clean a specific area of your home without actually using a virtual wall or just blocking it. You can navigate the robot by tapping on your screen, and it will go towards the target.
The Mi Home app allows to monitor the cleaning process, schedule the cleaning time whenever you want (even multiple times in a day), create virtual walls, and choose the name of your new friend. You can track the whole process and manage your robot even when away from home.
How the Roborock build a map
Who the Roborock S5 was designed for?
- This robot is the perfect alternative to an upright cleaner for people who have pets because the tangle-free design makes it easier to collect long human hair along with pet hair without getting tangled around the main brush.
- It is perfect for all bare floor types including tile, laminate, and hardwood because of the mopping feature. Install the water container and click “Start” using your smartphone or manually press the "Home" button to start wet mopping.
- Roborock's is able to deep clean carpeted surfaces thanks to the carpet identification, great climbing ability, and strong suction.
- For those with a bigger house than average, this device is ideal because of its long working time and recharge & resume feature. While other robots randomly navigate for about 100-120 minutes and get recharged when the battery runs low, the Roborock cleans the whole place for 150 minutes and resumes after recharging from the place it has left.
- Because it is an app-based robovac, you can manage it from your phone. For example, if you need to clean the floor because visitors are coming in the evening, but you are not home, just press "Start" on your screen and by the time you are home, the Roborock will have already finished its job.
- HEPA filtration inside is good for people who suffer asthma and allergies.
- Parents. Thanks to the virtual block offs or zoned cleaning, you can keep the robot from going to the kid's room or send the Roborock to work within the room because kids can be messy.
Where to buy the Roborock S5?
We've found the best offers on the market:
- White color on Amazon for $549, the rose-gold costs $570, and the black color option comes with a $570 price tag.
- On GearBest for $455.
- The Roborock S55 (black version) on GearBest costs $565.
*please keep in mind that the prices may change.
- The 2,000 Pa motor makes the Roborock one of the most powerful robot vacuums in the industry
- With the 5,200 mAh battery, the device provides long working time for about 2.5 hours covering approximately 250 square meters (2,700 sq. ft) until it needs to recharge
- The new version is 2-in-1: sweeping & mopping
- The new upgraded Mi Home app allows drawing virtual block offs and zone cleaning
- SLAM algorithm creates the most efficient way of cleaning using the LDS sensor to map out the interior of your home
- Washable HEPA filter
- Barrier height has been increased from 1.5 cm (Xiaomi Mi Robot) to 2 cm in the new Roborock
- Carpet boost switch the cleaning mode to max automatically after Roborock steps on a carpeted surface
- The Roborock can recharge after cleaning and then get back to finish its work
- Is compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
- The price. It is on sale for about $550 but worth every penny spent on it.
- Few accessories are included in the box.
What is in the box
The Robot vacuum, charging dock, charge cable, mopping pad, water tank, brush cleaning tool.
Alternative / Similar products to consider
If suction power is important to you, we recommend the latest Roomba 980, although it is more expensive and doesn't mop.
Another good alternative is the Neato Botvac Connected which comes with a D-shape design claimed to be better for cleaning corners and edges.
The differences between the new Roborock S5 and the first Xiaomi Mi Robot Vacuum Cleaner
Video review of the Roborock S5
UPDATE: Check our recent review of the Roborock.
Is the Roborock S5 worth buying?
The Roborock S5 is definitely better than the Xiaomi Mi Robot, but the price of the device is higher. The suction power of 2,000 Pa is enough to pick up long human or most pet hair; and if you have any carpeted surfaces, this vacuum can clean carpets too. Do not forget about the new mopping function because it is a rare feature that makes the Roborock good enough for any surface including hardwood floors, tile, laminate, and carpets. The upgraded navigation technology allows the robot to slide through rooms without bumping into things; map the area and choose the most efficient path to work. The Mi Home has a lot of stuff that even flagship Roomba models don't do. In any case, it still can be an expensive robot vacuum cleaner with a $550 price tag. But will you find anything similar to the Roborock S5 for the price of $550, offering all the features and excellent cleaning performance?
Where to buy
Since English is not our first language, you may notice spelling and grammatical errors in the article. We would be very grateful if you could help us fix the mistakes. Just select the confusing part of the text with your mouse and press Ctrl + Enter, then you will be able to send us a corrected version of the text. Thank you for your effort!
Related Robot Vacuum Comparisons
- Comparing the Roborock S5 vs. Viomi V2
- Roborock S5 vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot Comparison Chart
- Comparing 360 S6 Robot Vacuum vs. Roborock S5
- Roborock S50 (White) vs. ILIFE A9S Comparison
- Roborock S50 vs. Roborock S55 Black Comparison
- Roborock S6 vs. Roomba i7+: The Differences Explained
- Viomi V2 vs Roborock S6: the Differences Explained
- Roborock S6 Hands On Review: What to Expect From the Newest Robot Vacuum
- 360 S5 vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot: Is the Newest Robot Vacuum Better Than Xiaomi?
- Viomi V2 - An Intelligent Robot Vacuum For Carpet