The Roborock S5, Next Generation of the Xiaomi Mi Robot, Is the Most Powerful Smart Robot on the Market
Nov 24, 2017 7 min read
This year, Roborock, the robot vacuum cleaners manufacturer introduced their second robot vacuum cleaner: the Roborock S5, which is an improved version of the first Xiaomi Mi Robot vacuum cleaner. Despite the fact, that the first robot was launched by Roborock together with their partner Xiaomi, the second version of the robot called just the Roborock S5 (also known as the S50 and S55, the difference is only in color) and the Roborock is a brand on its own (however, they still use the same Mi Home app). What makes the Roborock S5 one of the best devices on the market? This robot vacuum has very similar specifications compared to other flagship robot vacuums like the Roomba 980 or the Neato Botvac D7. However, the main difference is its costs that significantly less than competitors with similar functionality.
The Roborock S5 comes with a strong suction of 2,000 Pa which makes it one of the most powerful robots on the market. Unlike the cheap robots with a random moving pattern, it builds a map of your house and plans the most effective path to clean all rooms in the shortest possible time. The Roborock S5 can not only sweep but also mop your floors. The upgraded app where you can monitor its movement in real-time, control and schedule the robot and many other great things that customers love in this robot vacuum. Sounds great? So is the new Roborock S5 better than other robot cleaners on the market? Let's find out.
[Update October, 2018] We had a chance to test the robot for you to be able to know about the device more. Here are our thoughts about the Roborock S5.
Robot vacuums mentioned in the article:
Smart Navigation Technology
A special Laser Distance Sensor (LDS) scans surrounding area 360 degrees. The LDS maps out the interior helping the robot better navigate while the Simultaneous Localization and Mapping System with three processors located inside the robot tracks its movements in real-time calculating the most efficient way of cleaning without getting lost.
Sensors that help navigate the Roborock S5
The S5 is equipped with 13 sensors including LDS that help the robot navigate:
- 4 cliff sensors help the robot avoid a fall.
- A wall sensor keeps the robot from bumping into furniture and stops it at a distance of 0.4 inches (10 mm) from the obstacle.
- The Roborock is equipped with an extra soft crash bumper to protect your furniture.
- A technology called the "omnidirectional pressure sensor" can now avoid areas where the robot bumps with its "head".
- A drop sensor activates when the robot is lifted so it stops working immediately.
- Double Electronic Sensor identifies virtual walls.
- Thanks to the infrared sensor, the robot can find the charging dock without any issues.
The Roborock cleaning performance
The barrier height is increased from 0.4 in (1.5 cm) to 0.78 in (2 cm), the suction power is 2,000 Pa, which is awe-inspiring because even the Roomba 980, the high-end robot from iRobot designed for carpets delivers only 1670 Pa. The Roborock S5 comes with a 2 mm soft bumper that provides a low-noise operation.
The robot performs great on any type of bare floor, thin and medium-pile carpets. Because of its 3-stage anti-tangle design, the robot doesn't have issues with hair wrapping which makes the robot ideal for pet hair.
Intelligent carpet identification (Carpet Boost)
Once the Roborock identifies the carpet, it automatically increases the suction power to maximum providing deeper cleaning. After leaving the carpeted surface, the robot returns to the normal suction mode.
Three-stage tangle-free design
Tangling hair can be annoying while cleaning the main brush of other robotics, Roborock's main and side brushes are tangle-free along with its wheels. The design helps to protect the device from overheating with the bearing stuck to the motor.
Wet mopping function
This robot is great for houses with bare floors. It is equipped with a detachable cloth and water tank. The water tank is installed into the bottom of the device. It holds around 100 ml of water, enough to mop for 45-60 minutes. The intelligent system works by the main principle of the plant bionic system and controls the water by itself. The sliding mechanism is designed in such a way that water drips wisely, only when the robot is moving.
Washable HEPA filter
The E11 washable grade filter designed with a Teflon cover provides 95% effective cleaning. Wash it with water and let it dry. Do it only once a week though. You have to change it once a year.
A long-lasting battery
The new Roborock comes with a 5,200 mAh Li-Ion battery which provides 2.5 hours of working time which equals cleaning about 2700 sq. ft (250 sq. meters) of house area. A LED battery indicator displays the charge level via different colors while the battery is juicing up. The white light means the battery charge level is more than 50%, yellow - less than 50%, red - the charge level drops below 20%.
The improved charging base has protection from an over-current, overvoltage, and short circuits. When the robot's battery runs out, it will find the docking station using two laser sensors.
Recharge & Resume Feature
The recharge and resume feature will be very helpful for those who have a big house. It can automatically recharge and continue cleaning from the same stop it left off in case it didn't finish cleaning before its battery had died. 150 minutes of cleaning sounds impressive. The Roborock S5 is the only robot cleaner on the market that can last this long.
Operate the Roborok with the upgraded iOS/Android Mi Home App
With the Mi Home app, you can create virtual walls, navigate the robot to clean a specific area, schedule the cleaning time multiple times per day, etc.
The new Mi Home application syncs with the Roborock so you can see the map of the house and easily navigate the vacuum by drawing the special area of the map on your phone (as shown on the picture below). This feature is incredible because the robot can clean a specific area of your home without actually using a virtual wall or just blocking it. You can navigate the robot by tapping on your screen and it will go towards the target.
The Mi Home app allows to monitor the cleaning process, schedule the cleaning time whenever you want (even multiple times in a day), create virtual walls, and choose the name of your new friend. You can track the whole process and manage your robot even when away from home.
How the Roborock build a map
|(WxHxW)||13.77 in / 35 cmx13.9 in / 35.3 cmx7.7 lbs / 3.5 kg|
Who the Roborock S5 was designed for?
The Roborock has a lot of features that will make your life much more comfortable, especially when it comes to cleaning your floor.
- This robot is the perfect alternative to an upright cleaner for people who have pets because the tangle-free design makes it easier to collect long human hair along with pet hair without getting tangled around the main brush.
- It is perfect for all bare floor types including tile, laminate, and hardwood because of the mopping feature. Now you don't need to worry about wet cleaning. Just install the water container and click “Start” using your smartphone or manually press the "Home" button.
- Roborock's powerful motor is designed to deep clean houses with mostly carpeted surfaces.
- For those with a bigger house than average, this device is ideal because of its long working time and recharge & resume feature. While other robots randomly navigate for about 100-120 minutes and get recharged when the battery runs low, the Roborock cleans the whole place for 150 minutes and resumes after recharging from the place it has left.
- Because it is an app-based robovac, you can manage it from your phone. For example, if you need to clean the floor because visitors are coming in the evening, but you are not home, just press "Start" on your screen and by the time you are home, the Roborock will have already finished its job.
- HEPA filtration inside is good for people who suffer asthma and allergies.
Where to buy the Roborock S5?
We've found the best offers on the market:
- On Amazon — for $549
- On GearBest — for $379.99.
- The Roborock S55 (black version) on GearBest — for $399.
- The 2,000 Pa motor makes the Roborock one of the most powerful robot vacuums in the industry
- With the 5,200 mAh battery, the device provides long working time for about 2.5 hours covering approximately 250 square meters (2,700 sq. ft) until it needs to recharge
- The new version is 2-in-1: sweeping & mopping
- The new upgraded Mi Home app helps to manage the robot while you are not home.
- SLAM algorithm creates the most efficient way of cleaning using the LDS sensor to map out the interior of your home
- Washable HEPA filter
- The dustbin and water bin are easy to maintain
- Barrier height has been increased from 1.5 cm (Xiaomi Mi Robot) to 2 cm in the new Roborock
- Carpet boost switch the cleaning mode to max automatically after Roborock steps on a carpeted surface
- The Roborock can recharge after cleaning and then get back to finish its work.
- The price. It is on sale for about $550 but worth every penny spent on it.
- Few accessories are included in the box.
What is in the box
The Robot vacuum, charging dock, charge cable, mopping pad, water tank, brush cleaning tool.
Alternative / Similar products to consider
If suction power is important to you, we recommend the latest Roomba 980, although it is more expensive and doesn't mop.
Another good alternative is the Neato Botvac Connected which comes with a D-shape design claimed to be better for cleaning corners and edges.
The differences between the new Roborock S5 and the first Xiaomi Mi Robot Vacuum Cleaner
Video review of the Roborock S5
UPDATE: Check our recent review of the Roborock.
Is the Roborock S5 worth buying?
The Roborock S5 is definitely better than the Xiaomi Mi Robot, but the price of the device is higher. The suction power of 2,000 Pa is enough to pick up long human or most pet hair; and if you have any carpeted surfaces, this vacuum cleaner is perfect for deep cleaning. Plus, the tangle-free technology is an amazing feature for those who don't like to rid all the brushes of everything stuck in them. Constantly untangling stuck hair can be really annoying. Do not forget about the new mopping function because it is a rare feature that makes the Roborock good enough for any surface including hardwood floors, tile, laminate, and carpeting. The upgraded navigation technology allows the robot to slide through rooms without bumping into things, mapping the area and choosing the most efficient path to work. The Mi Home has a lot of things that even flagship Roomba models don't do. In any case, it still can be an expensive robot vacuum cleaner with a $550 price tag. But will you find anything similar to the Roborock S5 for the price of $550, having all the features and great cleaning performance? So the main question is the Roborock S5 vacuum cleaner worth buying? Definitely yes!