Roomba 980 Review - The Best Robot Vacuum For Carpets and Rugs
Jul 24, 2017 3 min read
Today we are checking up the Roomba 980 that is the latest robot vacuum in a long line of the Roomba models. Updated design, new features, improved features from all the models. A large cleaning button on top is simplified home to target clean buttons make it easier for one-touch use than previous models. In the back, we have a dustbin which is very simple to remove.
What DO we like about Roomba 980:
- Robot Dimensions (DIA x H): 35.1 cm x 9.2 cm
- Robot Weight: 4.0 kg / 8.8 lbs
- Charge Time: 3 hours
- Filter Type: HEPA
- Battery Run Time: up to 2 hours
- Bin Volume: 0.6 l
- Cleaning area: up to 185 m2
- Threshold Clearance: 1.6 cm
- A big feature is the Smart Mapping Technology that builds a map of its environment as it cleans, keeping track of its location until it has cleaned an entire level
- Scheduling up to seven times per week
- Does not use clean brushes to grab the dirt. The robot comes with the patented tangle-free roller that is designed to pick up hair and fur without tangling
- Thanks to the dual virtual wall barriers you can keep iRobot away from places you don't want it to go
- With iRobot HOME app you no longer need a remote controller
- The camera placed on the top of the robot can scan the room and create a visual map using the vSLAM technology
- 3 stage cleaning performance.
- Vacuum cleaner
- Dual Virtual Wall Barriers + 4 AA Batteries
- Charging cable
- Charging Dock
- Extra Side Brush
- Extra Air Filter
Let's have a quick look at the Roomba 980 top view & buttons / Indicators:
In the box you can see two virtual walls with little battery columns that keep the Roomba out of places that it doesn't need to go.
iAdapt 2.0 navigation sensors allow it to move around the house and clean the floor without bumping into furniture. iRobot’s vSLAM technology actually scans the area around the robot and create a visual map that you can see on your smartphone.
3-Stage cleaning includes:
Stage 1: Sweeps corners and edges.
Stage 2: dual counter-rotating rubber brushes remove dirt and dust from your floor.
- Stage 3: Suction dirt and filters debris: The High-Efficiency HEPA Filter captures 99% of dust, mites, and allergens as small as 10 microns.
Dirt-detect sensors make the robot spend more time to clean the most concentrated areas of debris.
Is the iRobot Roomba 980 good on carpet?
Roomba 980 clean a bare floor, rugs, and carpets as good as an upright vacuum cleaner. It can automatically detect carpeting surface and increase suction power when it gets to the carpet. Thanks to Power Boost mode the robot can boost air power up to 10x compared to Roomba 600 & 700 series, it helps to catch more dust and dirt from the carpet. The device auto-adjust cleaning head and automatically change the clearance between the floor and the robot to make the multi-surface brushes in close contact with different types of floors. The dual multi-surface brushes handle pet hair with ease.
If you have a black carpet the robot will not work on it. It is worth to mention that this problem exists in most of the robot vacuums, it caused by cliff sensors — they don't work correctly on the black surface.
If it's been up cleaning your mention for the whole two hours and the battery becomes low it will go back to the dock, recharge and resume the cleaning where it left off to finish the job.
There are some cleaning modes and sensors that help Roomba 980 to clean more efficiently than previous models:
- Cliff sensors help Roomba to avoid falling from stairs
- Automatic Mode for a bust of power on carpets and rugs
- Performance Mode for maximized cleaning for all floor types
- Eco-Mode for a quieter clean and extended cleaning time.
Another big feature is the iRobot HOME app
The app is going to control the Roomba's most tasks: scheduling, remote cleaning and changing, and any other options they all are going to be done with this app. Inside you are going to find the Midnight schedule, how dirty your dust bin and rollers are, and how much space in time the robot has cleaned. You can view your history log duration and details. The full update let us visualize on a map where the robot detected extra dirt or maybe if it missed the area and things like that.
Watch Roomba 980 Review
What could be better
- Roomba 980 is louder than previous versions but it depends on mode that you are using
- Not perfect navigation. Sometimes it gets stuck somewhere in the house but once you figure out the problem areas, it becomes easier for the robot to clean.
In the end
The Roomba 980 is quite expensive since it cost about $900. It is the best iRobot vacuum cleaner so far. High-level cleaning performance provides deeper cleaning especially on carpeting surface. Anyway if you don't want to spend much or you don't need those extra features they have cheaper models available all depends on what you needed.
|Features||Roomba 890||Roomba 960||Roomba 980|
|Clean all floor types||yes||yes||yes|
|3-Stage Cleaning||5x the air power||5x the air power||10x air power|
|Run Time||Up to 60 min||Up to 75 min||Up to 120 min|
|Clean Map Reports||no||yes||yes|
|Recharge & Resume||no||yes||yes|
|Deeper Cleaning on Carpets||no||no||yes|
|Buy on Amazon||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
You can also take a look at our another article where we compare Roomba 980, Xiaomi Mi Robot and iLIFE V7S.
- Xiaomi Xiaowa Review: an Affordable Robot Vacuum With Strong Suction
- What Is a Robot Vacuum Cleaner & Why You Should Buy It?
- Shark Ion 750 vs Roomba 690
- Which One To Buy: ECOVACS DEEBOT Ozmo 930 vs Xiaomi Roborock 2nd Gen Comparison
- ECOVACS DEEBOT Robot Vacuums With Mapping And Path Planning: Model Comparison Chart
Found some spelling or grammatical error? Please help us to fix it!
Since English is not our first language, you may notice spelling and grammatical errors in the article. We would be very grateful if you could help us to fix the mistakes. Just select the confusing part of the text with your mouse and press Ctrl + Enter, then you will be able to send us a corrected version of the text. Thank you for your effort!