Roomba 980 Review - The Best Robot Vacuum For Carpets and Rugs
Today we are checking up the Roomba 980 the latest robot vacuum in a long line of the Roomba models. A large cleaning button on top is simplified home to target clean buttons make it easier for one-touch use than previous models. From behind, you will see a dustbin that is very simple to remove.
[Update January 2019] iRobot released the latest robot vacuum - Roomba i7. It has a self-cleaning charging base that allows the robot to work about a month without emptying the dustbin. What are the main differences between the latest Roomba 960, 980 and i7?
Roomba 980 features & specifications:
- Robot dimensions (W x H): 35.1 cm x 9.2 cm
- Robot weight: 4.0 kg / 8.8 lbs
- Charge time: 3 hours
- Filter type: HEPA
- Battery run time: up to 120 minutes
- Bin capacity: 0.6 l
- Cleaning area: up to 185 m2
- Threshold clearance: 1.6 cm
- A big feature is the Smart Mapping Technology that creates a map of its environment as it cleans, keeping track of the vacuum's location until it cleans an entire level
- Scheduling up to seven times per week
- Does not use clean brushes to grab the dirt. The robot comes with the patented tangle-free roller that is designed to pick up hair and fur without tangling. The Roomba 980 is ideal for pet owners
- Thanks to the dual virtual wall barriers you can keep iRobot away from places you don't want it to go
- The camera placed on the top of the robot scans the room creating a visual map using the vSLAM technology
- 3 stage cleaning performance
The package contents
Vacuum cleaner; dual virtual wall barriers + 4AA batteries; charging cable; charging dock; extra side brush; additional air filter; manual.
Let's have a quick look at the Roomba 980 top view & buttons / indicators:
The difference between the Roomba 890 vs. Roomba 960 vs. Roomba 980
|Features||Roomba 890||Roomba 960||Roomba 980|
|Clean all floor types||yes||yes||yes|
|3-Stage Cleaning||5x the air power||5x the air power||10x air power|
|Run Time||Up to 60 min||Up to 75 min||Up to 120 min|
|Clean Map Reports||no||yes||yes|
|Recharge & Resume||no||yes||yes|
|Deeper Cleaning on Carpets||no||no||yes|
|Buy on Amazon||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
In the box, you find two virtual walls with little battery columns that keep the Roomba out of places it doesn't need to go.
iAdapt 2.0 navigation sensors allow it to move around the house and clean the floor without bumping into furniture. iRobot’s vSLAM technology actually scans the area around the robot and create a visual map which you can see on your smartphone. The app shows where Roomba 980 has cleaned. Unfortunately, you can't do anything with the map such as creating virtual boundaries, etc.
A full bin indicator shows when you have to empty the container which you can also see in the app.
3-Stage cleaning includes:
Stage 1: sweeps corners and edges.
Stage 2: dual counter-rotating rubber brushes remove dirt and dust from your floor. The rollers are tangle-free and work best with pet hair.
- Stage 3: suction dirt and filters debris; the high-efficiency HEPA filter captures 99% of dust, mites, and allergens as small as 10 microns.
Dirt-detect sensors make the robot spend more time to clean the most concentrated areas of debris.
Can the Roomba 980 be used on carpet?
Roomba 980 clean a bare floor, rugs, and carpets. It automatically detects carpeted surface and boosts suction power up to 10x times (compared to Roomba 600 & 700 series) when the vacuum is on carpet. It helps to catch more dust and dirt from the carpet. The device auto-adjust cleaning head and automatically change the clearance between the floor and the robot to make the multi-surface brushes in close contact with different types of floors. The dual multi-surface brushes handle pet hair with ease.
If you have a black carpet, the robot will not work on it. Most robot cleaners face this, and it caused by cliff sensors — they don't work correctly on the black surface mistaking these surfaces as cliffs or drop off.
If it's been up cleaning your mention for the whole two hours and the battery becomes low, it will go back to the dock, recharge and resume the cleaning where it left off to finish the job.
Another big feature is the iRobot HOME app
The app is going to control the Roomba's most tasks: scheduling, remote cleaning, changing, switching between cleaning modes, seeing cleaning history, etc. Inside the iRobot Home app, you are going to find the midnight schedule, how dirty your dustbin and rollers are, and how much space in time the robot has cleaned. You can view your history log duration and details. The full update let us visualize on a map where the robot detected extra dirt or maybe if it missed the area and things like that.
Watch Roomba 980 Review
What could be better
- Roomba 980 is louder than previous versions but it depends on the mode that you are using
- Not perfect navigation. Sometimes it gets stuck somewhere in the house, but once you figure out the problem areas, it becomes easier for the robot to clean
In the end
The Roomba 980 is quite expensive since it costs about $700. The robot is ideal for big homes with a mixed surface. It is the one of best iRobot vacuum cleaner so far. High-level cleaning performance provides deeper cleaning especially on carpeting surface. Anyway, if you don't want to spend much or you don't need those extra features they have cheaper models available.
The Roomba 980 Alternatives
Check out our latest review of Roomba alternatives where we chose the best robot vacuums from different manufacturers that have similar features.
Where to buy
Found some spelling or grammatical error? Please help us to fix it!
Since English is not our first language, you may notice spelling and grammatical errors in the article. We would be very grateful if you could help us fix the mistakes. Just select the confusing part of the text with your mouse and press Ctrl + Enter, then you will be able to send us a corrected version of the text. Thank you for your effort!
Related Robot Vacuum Comparisons
- Comparing iRobot Roomba 980 vs. AEG RX9-1-SGM
- PureClean PUCRC25 V2 vs. iRobot Roomba 980 Comparison
- Compare PureClean PUCRC750 vs. iRobot Roomba 980
- Compare iRobot Roomba 640 vs. iRobot Roomba 980
- Comparing iRobot Roomba 860 vs. iRobot Roomba 980
- Is the Roborock T6 Better Than The Xiaomi MiJia 1S? Comparison Chart
- Xiaomi Mi Robot vs. Xiaomi MiJia 1S: Is the Xiaomi Mijia 1S robot vacuum cleaner worth buying?
- Roomba vs. Deebot: Which Robot Vacuum Will Suit Your Cleaning Needs?
- The HOBOT LEGEE-668: a Robot Vacuum That Actually Mops
- The Newest Xiaomi Mijia 1S Robot Vacuum Released: What We Know About It So Far?