Roomba 980 Review - The Best Robot Vacuum For Carpets and Rugs
Table of Contents (Jump to)
Today we are checking up the Roomba 980 that is the latest robot vacuum in a long line of the Roomba models. Updated design, new features, improved features from all the models (read more about other Roomba models in our Roomba comparison). A large cleaning button on top is simplified home to target clean buttons make it easier for one-touch use than previous models. In the back, we have a dustbin which is very simple to remove.
What DO we like about Roomba 980
- Robot Dimensions (DIA x H): 35.1 cm x 9.2 cm
- Robot Weight: 4.0 kg / 8.8 lbs
- Charge Time: 3 hours
- Filter Type: HEPA
- Battery Run Time: up to 2 hours
- Bin Volume: 0.6 l
- Cleaning area: up to 185 m2
- Threshold Clearance: 1.6 cm
- A big feature is the Smart Mapping Technology that builds a map of its environment as it cleans, keeping track of its location until it has cleaned an entire level
- Scheduling up to seven times per week
- Does not use clean brushes to grab the dirt. The robot comes with the patented tangle-free roller that is designed to pick up hair and fur without tangling
- Thanks to the dual virtual wall barriers you can keep iRobot away from places you don't want it to go
- With iRobot HOME app you no longer need a remote controller
- The camera placed on the top of the robot can scan the room and create a visual map using the vSLAM technology
- 3 stage cleaning performance
- Vacuum cleaner
- Dual Virtual Wall Barriers + 4 AA Batteries
- Charging cable
- Charging Dock
- Extra Side Brush
- Extra Air Filter
Let's have a quick look at the Roomba 980 top view & buttons / Indicators:
In the box you can see two virtual walls with little battery columns that keep the Roomba out of places that it doesn't need to go.
iAdapt 2.0 navigation sensors allow it to move around the house and clean the floor without bumping into furniture. iRobot’s vSLAM technology actually scans the area around the robot and create a visual map that you can see on your smartphone.
3-Stage cleaning includes
Stage 1: Sweeps corners and edges.
Stage 2: dual counter-rotating rubber brushes remove dirt and dust from your floor.
Stage 3: Suction dirt and filters debris: The High-Efficiency HEPA Filter captures 99% of dust, mites, and allergens as small as 10 microns.
Dirt-detect sensors make the robot spend more time to clean the most concentrated areas of debris.
The Roomba can suction up to the 10 times compared with the previous models when it gets to the carpet. Leaving your carpet cleaner than ever it does all this automatically changing suction levels depending on what a type of floor the robot is on.
If it's been up cleaning your mention for the whole two hours and the battery becomes low it will go back to the dock, recharge and resume the cleaning where it left off to finish the job.
There are some cleaning modes and sensors that help Roomba 980 to clean more efficiently than previous models:
- Cliff sensors help Roomba to avoid falling from stairs.
- Automatic Mode for a bust of power on carpets and rugs.
- Performance Mode for maximized cleaning for all floor types.
- Eco-Mode for a quieter clean and extended cleaning time.
Another big feature is the iRobot HOME app
The app is going to control the Roomba's most tasks: scheduling, remote cleaning and changing, and any other options they all are going to be done with this app. Inside you are going to find the Midnight schedule, how dirty your dust bin and rollers are, and how much space in time the robot has cleaned. You can view your history log duration and details. The full update let us visualize on a map where the robot detected extra dirt or maybe if it missed the area and things like that.
Watch Roomba 980 Video Review
What could be better
Roomba 980 is louder than previous versions but it depends on mode that you are using
Not perfect navigation. Sometimes it gets stuck somewhere in the house but once you figure out the problem areas, it becomes easier for the robot to clean
In the end
The Roomba 980 is quite expensive since it cost about $900. It is the best iRobot vacuum cleaner so far. High-level cleaning performance provides deeper cleaning especially on carpeting surface. Anyway if you don't want to spend much or you don't need those extra features they have cheaper models available all depends on what you needed.
|Clean all floor types|
|3-Stage Cleaning||5x the air power||5x the air power||10x air power|
|Run Time||Up to 60 min||Up to 75 min||Up to 120 min|
|Clean Map Reports|
|Recharge & Resume|
|Deeper Cleaning on Carpets|
You can also take a look at our another article where we compare Roomba 980 vs Xiaomi Mi Robot and iLIFE V7S.
UPDATE: Check out our latest article where we compare Roomba 980 vs. Xiaomi Roborock 2.
Share with friends:
- Roomba Comparison Chart 2018
- Xiaowa Lite Robot Vacuum Cleaner The Powerful Robovac From Xiaomi For Under $200
- ILIFE A8 vs Xiaomi Mi Robot comparison: which one is better?
- iLIFE V8S The Smart Flagship Robot Vacuum For Under $250
- Is The Housmile Robotic Vacuum Cleaner Best Cheap Home Assistant To Buy In 2018?
TOP-10 Robot vacuums
22 december 2017, 08:20
26 february 2018, 06:55
17 august 2017, 08:00
11 august 2017, 03:25
07 september 2017, 04:41
08 january 2018, 07:43