Why I am returning my Shark IQ after 30 days

Source: AdamsTechReviews

Let’s start with the pros of the Shark IQ:

1. The self-emptying bin works great, it cleans up the robot completely unless it is completely full but other than that it cleans the bin perfectly.
  2. Because of a bagless system, the auto-empty bin is easier to empty. It even has a little window that helps to see how much dirts the base holds.
  3. The robot cleans well. 
  4. Decent battery life. On Max mode it runs for about 60 minutes, on low mode, it will give you about 2 hours of running. Not a con or pro, just the fact that the battery could be better but it’s not bad at any mean.

Cons:

1. The mapping: you have to run the robot up to 10 times to get the map complete. Many users claim they run it for about 20 times and did not have the map anyway.
  2. The robot does not have a full bin indicator. It does not know where it is full. 
  3. The bin inside looks small.
  4. App. It has some sort of delay when informing about the robot started working, docking itself and so on. The app is very basic as well.

The Shark IQ is good for small houses. If you run it every other day and don’t have a big mess, this robot is probably going to be great for you.

5 comments
Tony ⋅ 3 years, 2 months ago #

Returned mine as well. Their auto-empty is awesome, so much better than the Ecovacs T8, but the mapping is absolutely horrible. After spending a few hours with Tech Support, it became apparent that it wasn't going to get better anytime soon. Better to get rid of it while I still can.

If they come up with a LIDAR version using the same auto-empty feature and better mapping, I'm all in.

Natalie Red ⋅ 3 years, 2 months ago #

Did you get this model or a newer one? I hear the newer version is better at mapping and navigation.

Joanne Finck ⋅ 3 years, 3 months ago #

I have 3000sq.ft. With wood floors and throw rugs, 3 shedding dogs and a cat. The first time I mapped I got bad advice. Then when I used common sense and followed IQ Shark advice I was successful. Removed all obstacles including kitchen chairs, vacuum really well, ran map in eco. Success! I mapped out my rooms as some need a double run. I do not have a fenced yard so animals are inside most of day. I run my IQ twice daily, empty bin after each run, and vacuum clean unit and filter before next days run. I make sure there are no obstacles to cause any interference. I have beautiful floors. I could not be more pleased. House dust dropped exponentially, inside air is more breathable, animal dander almost gone! You may think that is a lot of effort. Let me repeat 3 German Shedders and a shedding cat! Now I have time to do more than vacuum and dust!

Natalie Red ⋅ 3 years, 3 months ago #

Thank you for letting us know about your experience! Indeed for some of us, the Shark IQ might work just fine. I hear it does a good job as a vacuum but the software is a bit glitchy.

John Oliver ⋅ 3 years, 4 months ago #

Dude. Your reviews are pretty contradictory. Just try to be a little more concise and clear.

Join our friendly community

Learn more about home robots, ask questions, share news, reviews, or create posts that you find helpful or entertaining.