|Mapping / Path planning||yes|
|Mapping Sensor Type||LDS|
|Recharge & Resume||yes|
|Automatically Docks and Recharges||yes|
|Noise Level||68 db|
|Side Brushes (one or two)||1 pcs|
|Battery Capacity||5200 mAh|
|Run time||150 min|
|Charging Time||240 min|
|Rated Power (Watts)||58 W|
|IR Remote Control||no|
|Wi-Fi / Smartphone App||yes|
|Wi-Fi Frequency Bands||2.4 GHz|
|Amazon Alexa Support||yes|
|Google Assistant Support||yes|
|Magnetic/Optical Virtual Walls||yes|
|Digital Blocked Area||yes|
|Manual movement control||yes|
|Selected Room Cleaning||yes|
|Anti-drop / Cliff Sensor||yes|
|Full Bin Indicator||no|
|Robot Weight||7.72 lbs / 3.5 kg|
|Robot Width||13.78 in / 35 cm|
|Robot Height||3.78 in / 9.6 cm|
|In the box||adapter, charging dock, water tank, mopping pad, English user manual|
|Release Date||Oct 2017|
You might be confused by the name of the Roborock S5. You might know it as Xiaomi robot vacuum, Xiaomi robot 2, Roborock S50, etc. However, there are no differences between them, except color and plug type, it is the same Roborock S5.
The next number in the name represents colors. For example, the Roborock S50 is the same Roborock S5 in white color; the Roborock S55 is black; S51 - rose gold.
To understand better the difference in the Roborock model line (yes, there are 5 different robot vacuums) read our comparison where we tried to explain everything.
Main Features of the Roborock S5
- 5,200 mAh Long-lasting battery- works up to 150 minutes in one charge
- One of the strongest suction power - the Roborock S5 delivers 2,000 Pa of suction
- Virtual boundaries - the Mi Home app allows creating restricted areas where you don't want the robot vacuum to go
- Zoned cleaning - in the app, you can set zoned cleaning within which the Roborock should work
- Washable HEPA - the filter can be washed with water and is ideal for those who suffer from an allergy or asthma
- Low noise operation - the machine is equipped with a cotton sieve to provide less noise when the device operates
- Recharge & Resume - the Roborock S5 gets back to recharge when the battery runs out of energy, recharges itself and continue vacuuming from the same spot it left off
- LIDAR technology - the S5 is equipped with an LDS laser inside that gets the cleaning surrounding scanned to create an accurate map
- Real-time tracking - thanks to the three processors inside, the Roborock S5 can be tracked in real-time which you can watch in the app. You can watch the robot creating the map or where it is at the moment
- Carpet identification - a bunch of sensors can recognize carpeted surface. Once the robot steps on the carpet, the suction gets boosted up to the max level providing deeper cleaning.
- Barrier cross height - the Roborock S5 can work on carpets that are up to 20 mm thick.
- Mopping - the S5 not only sweeps, but it also can mop. The robot is equipped with a water container and mop cloth
150 minutes of working is an impressive amount of time because the Roborock S5 powerful motor delivers 2,000 Pa of suction power. Along with a laser located on top, the robot is equipped with the SLAM algorithm that helps to create a map of your house and then build the most efficient way of cleaning on its own. This technology allows the machine to work in the dark. The LDS laser creates an accurate plan of cleaning area which makes the Roborock navigation almost perfect.
The Roborock S55 provides deep cleaning on carpets up to 20 mm thick
The Roborock comes equipped with a water tank and mopping attachment. To set the robot in mopping mode, fill the container with water, slide it underneath until it clicks and let the robot go. Even though the water drips from the start, we recommend damping the cloth manually before the robot gets started. In this mode, the Roborock works for about 40-50 minutes until the water container gets dry. You can fill it again and continue cleaning.
The device performs well on carpeted surfaces and bare floors. The tangle-free design prevents hair from wrapping around the main brush and wheels, making the robot perfect for pet and long human hair. It can easily climb obstacles or thresholds up to 20 mm. There is also intelligent carpet identification that turns on maximum suction power once the machine recognizes carpeting, so it is perfect for deep cleaning carpets that are 20 mm of height or less. Thanks to strong suction, carpet boost, and large wheels, the Roborock S5 is one of the best robot vacuums for carpet.
Watch the Roborock S50 building a map in the Mi Home app
The app allows you to track its movements in real-time and create virtual walls - as many as possible. And, with the latest update, the Roborock S5 supports zone cleaning. Draw a rectangle on a created map where you want the cleaner to vacuum. When the Roborock's battery is at 20%, it goes to recharge, juices the battery up to 80% and returns to finish the job from the point it left off.
Overall, owners are satisfied with the Roborock performance. It does its job well on carpets, catching even the smallest particles, pet hair, dust and dirt, leaving the carpet clean. It also performs great on hardwood, tile, marble, etc. The mapping feature is accurate, which makes the cleaning process even more efficient.
Although the Roborock S5 is one of the best robot vacuum cleaners so far, it has its issues connecting to Wi-Fi, and US consumers cannot fully enjoy the app, and they don't get any updates. We have searched the Internet and found the solution.
12 reasons why is the Roborock S50 better than most of the robot vacuums?
- The longest-lasting battery life. Only the Xiaomi 1S, Mi Robot, Roborock Xiaowa E3 work for up to 150 minutes.
- Recharge & Resume. High-end robots resume cleaning after recharging. It makes the robot cover even more cleaning area in one cleaning cycle.
- The strongest suction power. A few flagship models deliver 2,000 Pa of suction thanks to which the cleaner picks up even the smallest particulars on carpet.
- The S5 mops and sweeps at the same time. Some cleaner either sweep or mop, most of the robot vacuums only sweep.
- There are a few ways to set block off areas: by drawing a rectangle on a map or setting No-Go Lines. The machine will not cross those zones. Not all the robot vacuum cleaners that are based on the LDS laser support virtual boundaries. Those that are equipped with a gyroscope or camera don't have this feature.
- The Roborock can work within one or two rooms thanks to the zoned cleaning. Only a few flagship models have this option.
- The S5 can identify carpet flooring. It boosts up suction to its maximum level when it recognizes carpets/rugs. Only a few models in the industry can identify carpets and most of them were produced by Roborock.
- Only a few models can climb a 20 mm obstacle which makes them suitable for thicker carpets.
- Thanks to the three processors inside, the Roborock can be tracked in real-time, you can watch it building a map in the Mi Home app.
- Washable HEPA. This makes the filter last longer. Most of the filters can't be washed. It is safe for those who suffer from allergy and asthma.
- LIDAR technology helps the robot to build an accurate map and allows the Roborock to remember your home layout.
- Thanks to the mapping, the robot navigates in a purposeful pattern, it never misses a spot and doesn't go over the same areas again.
- One of the strongest suction power on the market
- Can identify carpet flooring
- Mops and sweeps
- In the app, you can create virtual block offs
- Supports zoned cleanup
- Washable HEPA filter lasts longer than a regular one
- Decent battery life makes the Roborock S5 suitable for big homes
- Real-time tracking thanks to the processors inside the machine
- Mapping and smart navigation makes cleaning more efficient
- Carpet boost, large wheels, and strong suction work together providing great performance on carpets
- Suitable for both: carpet and hard floor
- Suitable for pet hair
- Small water container
To wrap it up: the Roborock S5 is a decent flagship robot vacuum with long battery life and excellent cleaning performance. The app has some options that even twice more expensive cleaners don't have. If you have pets, carpets, bare floor or a big house, the Roborock S5 is the right cleaner to go with.
Question 1: How useful is the mopping feature? How well does it work?
Answer: The mopping feature is nice to have. It will not replace old-fashion manual mopping, but it does an excellent job to keep the floors clean as long as possible. It is able to remove dust since the robot also sweeps and mops at the same time, it also removes bigger particles. If you run it daily, it will help you to do less work when you are mopping manually. However, if you have a big cleaning area, the water container will get dry in about 30 minutes, and you have to refill it with water again. Do not expect it to remove stubborn stains, it wasn’t designed to do such tasks. The Roborock S5 is a vacuum cleaner firstly, and then a mop. Though it is a nice feature that helps to have bare floors clean during the week or between "big" mopping days.
Question 2: Does the Roborock S5 save multiple maps?
Answer: The Roborock S5 stores 1 created map. If you want it to clean the second floor also, it will need to rebuild a new map but no worries, it takes a few seconds for the robot to create a plan of the cleaning area and the vacuum doing it while vacuuming. The Roborock S5 saves one map after it finishes cleaning and automatically docks itself.
Question 3: Can you set virtual walls where you have carpets so that the Roborock S5 doesn't mop them?
Answer: You would need to open a created map and draw a rectangle around the zones where you have carpets, so the Roborock does not mop them. But it will be saved this way, when the next time you want to vacuum the whole place, you need to delete them.
Question 4: Are the Roborock S5 and Roborock S50 the same robot vacuum?
Answer: It is the same model. The second number represents the color, which means the Roborock S50 is white, and the Roborock S55 is black.
Question 5: Does it work with a magnetic wall barrier?
Answer: Yes, it is compatible with a magnetic wall barrier and works just fine.
Question 6: Can I add detergent to water for mopping?
Answer: I think you can add cleaning detergent to water, at least I do use some whenever mop. The worst that can happen is that the filters clog up. You get two replacement pairs of filters with the vacuum, and online replacements are cheap.
Question 7: For how long the Roborock S5 will mop before the tank is empty?
Answer: The manufacturer claims it can work in mopping mode for approximately 40-50 minutes before the tank is empty; however, I need to refill the container in about 30 minutes after started mopping.