iRobot Roomba 980 Features
|Mapping / Path planning||yes|
|Mapping Sensor Type||camera|
|Recharge & Resume||yes|
|Automatically Docks and Recharges||yes|
|Noise Level||70 db|
|Side Brushes (one or two)||1 pcs|
|Battery Capacity||3300 mAh|
|Charging Time||120 min|
|Rated Power (Watts)||43 W|
|IR Remote Control||no|
|Wi-Fi / Smartphone App||yes|
|Amazon Alexa Support||yes|
|Google Assistant Support||yes|
|Digital Blocked Area||no|
|Manual movement control||no|
|Selected Room Cleaning||no|
|Anti-drop / Cliff Sensor||yes|
|Full Bin Indicator||yes|
The Roomba 980 is the latest flagman robot from the iRobot family. It comes equipped with an upgraded dirt sensor that finds the dirtiest area and provides deep cleaning. Along with this, the Roomba 980 has a carpet boost option that maximizes its suction power up to 10 times once the Roomba understands it is on a carpeted surface. Its iAdapt 2.0 Navigation with Visual Localization technology is based on a camera sensor. After the robot creates a map, it builds the best cleaning path. The robot has silicon rollers that are supposed to work better on a bare floor and are ideal for pet hair.
The Roomba 980 comes with virtual walls that keep it from places the robot should not cross
The iRobot Home app allows start/stop the robot, see cleaning history, scheduling it, etc. Roomba 980 is integrated with Amazon Alexa and Google Home. You can just ask Alexa or the Google Assistant to start, stop, or dock your robot. With the recharge & resume function, the Roomba 980 works for about 120 minutes, gets back to recharge and continue cleaning when it's done charging. A dustbin indicator tells you when you need to empty it.
If you have pets, the dustbin fills up during every cleaning session and has to be emptied before the Roomba finishes working.
10 reasons to buy the Roomba 980 over other robot vacuums?
- Dirt detect. Only presented in the Roomba model line. It recognizes high-traffic areas and boosts air power to a max level providing deeper cleaning on these spots.
- Full bin indicator. It alerts when the container has to be emptied. You can either stop the cleaning cycle or pause the robot to clean the box.
- Brushless rollers. These are tangle-free, perfect for pet hair.
- The robot is equipped with a camera sensor to remember your home layout thus making cleaning more efficient.
- Recharge & Resume feature makes the vacuum cover a bigger area.
- The Roomba 980 recognizes carpetted surface. Only 11% of models have this option.
- A few models in the industry are able to climb an obstacle up to 20 mm height. It makes the Roomba 980 ideal for thicker carpets.
- The battery life is longer than most of the robot cleaners have.
- Compatibility with Amazon Alexa and Google Home allows controlling the robot with simple voice commands.
- The Roomba is easy to connect to Wi-Fi.
Best of the Roomba 980
- Decent battery life
- Tangle-free rollers
- Virtual walls included in the box
- Great bare floors performance
- Works well on carpeted surface (low and medium-pile ones)
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home
- Carpet boost provides deep cleaning
What could be better
- The robot is loud
- It gets stuck occasionally
- The map disappears after every cleaning, the Roomba 980 creates a new one every time when it starts cleaning.
iRobot Roomba 980 maintenance
Even the best robots require some maintenance the Roomba 980 is no exception. Regularly check the side sweeper, it might get some hair wrapped around. Monitor sensors, they should be clean from dust to help the Roomba move around. Even though the rollers are tangle-free, it would be great if you look after them once in a while. It is very important to keep the filter and dustbin clean.
It will take a few minutes a week to look after your Roomba to keep it alive longer.
Video reviews of the iRobot Roomba 980
iRobot Roomba 980 alternatives
Compare Robot Vacuum Cleaners
Compare the iRobot Roomba 980 with other robot vacuums
- Roborock S5 vs. Roomba 980 Comparison Chart
- iRobot Roomba i7+ 7150 vs. iRobot Roomba 980 Comparison Chart
- iRobot Roomba 980 vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot Comparison Chart
- Compare Flagship iRobot Vacuum Cleaners: Roomba 960 vs. Roomba 980
- iRobot Roomba e5 5150 vs. iRobot Roomba 980 Comparison
- iRobot Roomba i7+ 7550 vs. iRobot Roomba 980 Comparison
- Comparing ILIFE A9S vs. iRobot Roomba 980
- ILIFE V8S vs. iRobot Roomba 980 Comparison