Why Do You Need To Buy A Robot Vacuum Cleaner And What You Should Know Before Getting One
May 6, 2018 6 min read
2018 is the year of technology so a robot vacuum cleaner is a thing that should be in everyone's house.
Even though robovac is a decent helper when it comes to cleaning a floor - upright vacuums still the first.
Why might you need to get a robot vacuum cleaner?
- Pet is in the house. Cats and dogs are our best friends that shade a lot so extra help is needed. Even if you vacuum your floor twice a week, sometimes it is not enough to get rid of pet hair. You can run a robot every day which constantly will reduce the amount of dirt and dust on the floor. Besides, you don't have to be present when a device is working.
- Busy days. We all have more important things to do than spending hours on cleaning the floor. Leave cleaning a floor to a device that know how to do its job.
- Parenting. Small kids need your attention all day long so why spending important minutes on cleaning? Besides, children love these things. With a robot vacuum cleaner your kid will want to run it over and over again.
- Technology lover. The ones who loves technology need this device in their homes. The robot is fully automatic, no attention needed. Watching the unit working is magnificent. Who doesn't want it?
- Older people. With time our parents need to take more effort on things like cleaning than we do. It's getting harder to pull the big upright vacuum and actually do the thing. Since, a robot cleaner weighing only about 3-4 kg on average, it is much easier to manage a smaller unit.
- Just for fun. Nevertheless, a robot will become the best thing you've ever own, it is also a lot of fun. Visitors are going to love this small disk that by the way, looks awesome in any interior.
- Minimalist design lovers. If your home is all about minimalist - the robot vacuum cleaner is for you. Minimalist design means you don't have a lot of things in your apartment, and the main reason - nothing laying on the floor (stuff like cords) so the machine will not stuck on it. It is the perfect cleaning area for an automatic device.
- People who hate cleaning routine. Let's be honest, many people do not enjoy cleaning (neither we do). In fact, when owning a robot all you need to do is to press start and go do your own business (and do not forget to get rid of stuff on the floor but we do it with an upright vacuum either, right?). The ideal option that solves some of our problems.
- Small business owners. As a person who might work (own/rent) in the office, you need to clean the area twice more often than a place you live in. Once you get the device - your office will be cleaner as never before.
- Loneliness. The devices that support Amazon Alexa or Google Home can beat loneliness because you always have the one to talk to.
- Homeworkers. Those who works from home would understand why its important to make your space clean. And since you are home all day long you might notice that your place getting a mess fast. So for not vacuum twice a week (or even more) - get a robot that will be running every day so it will be much more comfy to work at a clean area.
- Roommate schedule. If you shape a living space with a roommate you understand how important to not fight about the cleaning schedule. Now one of you just need to start a robot and you are all set (do not argue who starts it tho).
- Mostly bare floors. Some machines come with a mopping feature that helps to wet mopping a bare floor. If your home doesn't have any carpet the 2-in-1 (sweep&mop) machine will be ideal and you don't have to clean it manually anymore.
- Carpeting surface. For sure, a vacuum exist to catch even the smallest particulars from carpets. For mixed and thin/medium-pile carpets and rugs get a robovac that will do its job. Here is some examples of which model you can get.
- Allergy. Since most of the robots come with anti-allergen filtration system, it becomes the best choice for ones who suffer from asthma or any kind of allergy.
What you need to know before buying a robot vacuum cleaner
So now you decided that you are ready to get one for yourself, but it's hard to decide where to start. Which model to buy? What to pay attention to? Let's make it a little bit easier for you. At first, you have to figure out what you need a robot for. The questions you need to answer on:
- Do you have pets?
- Is your home mostly covered with carpets or a bare floor?
- Do you own Amazon Alexa / Google Home?
- Are you home small/average or big-sized?
- Do you have a lot of things laying on the floor?
- Do you have too many furniture in the house?
- What is your budget?
- Pets. As we said before, pets shade a lot. What to look at when choosing a robot for pet hair? A tangle-free roller is designed for long human or pet hair to not wrap around the main cleaning brush. They usually made of silicon or rubber making it super easy to maintain. Also, there are some machines on the market that was specially designed to catch pet hair.
- Bare floor, mixed surface, or carpets? Mostly any unit performs great on a bare floor but if you want your robot to wet mop the floor - have a look at 2-in-1 models that come with a mopping cloth or/and a water container. If you need a machine that would deep clean a carpet - suction power is everything here. The more Pascals a robot delivers, the better it will clean a carpet. Along with the motor, pay attention to a cleaning brush. Bristle ones scratch a carpet better than a rubber roller we've mentioned before. Mixed brushes is also a good choice since they work together cleaning a bare floor as well as carpeting surface. Also, it is better to know about the clearance of the robot. The larger wheels a unite comes with, the easier machine will cross over a carpet. Please, notice that no one robot cleaner can do thick carpets so if you have one - use your traditional vacuum. For mixed floors, it is better to go with those that have double brushes or those that are better for carpets.
- If you own an Amazon Echo Dot or Google Assistant or any other virtual assistant, you'd better consider getting the device that is compatible with any of them. There are some budget robots that you can get even less than $300 and more expensive one that usually all support Alexa/Google Home.
- We already talked about vacuums that suitable for a small home. What do you need to know to get a robot for an average or a big home? Firstly - the runtime. The longer unit lasts the more cleaning area it can cover. Secondly, you probably will need a machine with mapping and smart navigation so it will not miss any spot (remember, the smart models do not scan the second floor so you have to divide the cleaning area into first and second floors). Since a mapping robot creates a map it knows where it has been so it gets to recharge when its battery runs out of energy and then resume from the place it left off. No worries about manually placing the robot in each room. What about the average-sized homes? You might not need an expensive robovac that maps out your interior. Just have a look at how long the robot cleans in one charge.
- Look at your home. How many cords or tassels or anything else lay on the floor? It can become a challenge for a vacuum to not get stuck into it. If you don't want to worry about these things you have to figure out how to get rid of it or place it in one area so it will not be an issue for the machine. Otherwise, be ready to rescue your little buddy every time it will roll a cord over its body.
- Furniture is something every homeowner would love to have and the more you have it the worse it would be for a robot to clean. Chair legs are the ideal place for a machine to get stuck (not for all though). Also, check the height under your couch, bed, chair or anything that could be a hard place-to-reach. You need it to know the height of your future home assistant so it can go under it without any problem.
- Budget. Not everyone is ready to spend a thousand dollars on a vacuum. Gladly, the market is full of budget and super-budget cleaners which price starts from $100. For $200-$300 you can get a decent robot vacuum cleaner that even can be compatible with Amazon Alexa. For those who are in depts of buying an expensive robovac or a budget robovac have a look at our latest article where we were trying to answer the question: do you really need to buy an expensive robot vacuum?
Picking up the right robot vacuum cleaners isn't that challenging anymore, right?
Get $100 off for a powerful robot vacuum Xiaomi Roborock with the coupon code GB100-$20off-
WHERE TO BUY
- ECOVACS DEEBOT Robot Vacuums With Mapping And Path Planning: Model Comparison Chart
- ECOVACS CEN540-LG vs DG801 vs DE33 Comparison
- Best Budget Robot Vacuum Cleaners That Are Compatible With Amazon Alexa And Google Assistant
- What Is The Difference: Xiaowa Lite vs Xiaowa Route Planning Version
- The Best Robot Mops To Buy In 2018
Found some spelling or grammatical error? Please help us to fix it!
Since English is not our first language, you may notice spelling and grammatical errors in the article. We would be very grateful if you could help us to fix the mistakes. Just select the confusing part of the text with your mouse and press Ctrl + Enter, then you will be able to send us a corrected version of the text. Thank you for your effort!
Array ( [thread] => resource-193 [name] => [email] => )