If you are a pet owner, you probably know that pet hair is a nuisance. It loves clinging to carpets and fabrics, and it is so hard to vacuum it up. Nobody wants to spend a lot of time cleaning the house from a cat or dog fur. Having lots of pet hair everywhere might be the main reason to not owning a pet. However, nowadays we have a great solution that can solve this problem: there a variety of best automatic floor cleaners for pet hair. Those smart machines can be scheduled to clean at a specific time; there are models with strong suction power and special brushes designed especially for pet hair.
When it comes to choosing the right robot vacuum for pet hair, you should pay attention to several important features, since far not every robot vacuum can do this job perfectly well.
- the robot vacuum should have a strong suction power to pick up cats and dogs hair from rugs and carpets
- there should be special tangle-free brushes to be easier at maintenance
- a large dustbin to hold more fur, so you don't have to empty it during a cleaning cycle
- a high-efficiency particulate absorber (HEPA) filter. This type of filters remove 99.9% of particles that have a size greater than 0.3 µm, absorb pollens and allergens which is very important for those who have asthma or allergy
There are two types of robot vacuums on the market:
1. Robot vacuums with a random cleaning pattern. Those robots don't remember your house layout; they move randomly, need more time to clean an entire apartment since they don't understand where they already cleaned and went through the same places several times. They might leave some areas untouched. The advantage of the robot vacuum with a random cleaning pattern is its price; usually, those machines are two-four times cheaper.
Reasons to get a budget robot vacuum with random navigation:
- If you live in a small place, a budget robot vacuum would be ideal
- If you don’t have carpets or don’t need your robot to provide deeper cleaning. Some of the cheapest cleaners such as the Roborock Xiaowa Lite or Shark Ion R85 clean thick carpets well
2 Robot vacuums with a mapping feature. Those devices have a lidar, gyroscope or camera sensor, they build a map of a house and move in a more efficient z-shaped cleaning path. Those machines will not miss any rooms and places since they have a layout of your home in their memory and remember where they have already cleaned. The robot vacuum with this feature can finish the work from two to four times faster than a robot vacuum with a random cleaning pattern.
Reasons to get a flagship robot vacuum for pet hair:
- Gives more suction power
- You will get better cleaning performance
- Has some useful features such as blocked areas/zoned cleaning/room cleaning
- Resumes cleaning, ideal for bigger homes
- Provides efficient cleaning without leaving some areas untouched
- Better for thick carpets, because of stronger suction, a high-end model performs better on carpet
We made two lists of the best robot vacuums for pet owners. Here are the top 10 robot vacuums for pet hair: the first list - the best robot vacuums for pet hair on hardwood floors and carpets with mapping; the second list - robot vacuums with a price tag less than $300 with a random cleaning pattern.
Best Robot Vacuums for Pet Hair with Mapping
The 5 best mapping robots for pet hair and carpets compared
|Features||Roborock S6||360 S5 Robot Vacuum||Neato Botvac D6 Connected||Viomi V2||iRobot Roomba i7+|
|Recharge & resume||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Battery life (min)||150||120||120||120||75|
|Suction power (Pa)||2,000||2,000||N/A||2,150||1,700|
|Amazon Alexa/Google Home support||yes||yes||yes||no||yes|
|Dustbin capacity (ml)||500||550||700||600||500|
|Water tank capacity (ml)||150||-||-||550||-|
|Barrier-cross ability (in / mm)||0.79 / 20||0.79 / 20||0.75 / 19||0.79 / 20||0.79 / 20|
|Area blocking||digital||digital||digital + boundary marker||digital||Dual Virtual Wall Barrier (physical)|
|Filter||washable HEPA||washable HEPA||Ultra Performance||HEPA||HEPA|
|Warranty||24 months||12 months||12 months||12 months||12 months|
Robot vacuums mentioned in the article:
- Roborock S6 — from $569.99
- Viomi V2 — from $369.99
- 360 S5 Robot Vacuum Cleaner — from $299.99
- Shark ION R85 (RV850) — from $184.99
- iRobot Roomba i7+ — from $999.00
- Neato Botvac D6 Connected — from $599.99
- Eufy RoboVac 30 — from $267.95
- ECOVACS Deebot N79S — from $199.99
- iRobot Roomba 690 — from $349.68
Based on a map the machine created, it remembers where it has already cleaned and knows where it was before went to the charging dock. This option is ideal for big-sized houses. The mapping system that based on a laser creates an accurate layout and makes the robot to work in the dark, it "sees" where it is. The camera sensor needs a light to be on when the robot is working. Thanks to the created map, the cleaner knows where it left off when its battery run out of energy. It gets back to recharge and resumes cleaning from the same place where it left.
When the robot recognizes a carpet, it automatically switches the suction power to its maximum level which provides deeper cleaning. Once the device leaves the carpet, it turns back the cleaning mode that was on before.
Models that support multiple-mapping store more than one created map in memory. This option is designed to make a robot vacuum work in multiple-store houses.
This option allows you to block some zones to prevent the robot from crossing it. The Roborock S5, 360 S6, D6 Connected, and Deebot Ozmo 930 have the ability to set the block zones using their apps. The Roomba 980 is equipped with a physical virtual wall barrier in the box; the Neato also has a magnetic tape. You can manually place the barrier or strip to the area you don't want your robot to clean.
Zone cleaning / Room cleaning**
The newest models support room division. When a vacuum finishes cleaning, it automatically divides the map into separate rooms. Further, you can choose one or two rooms to make the robot clean there at a specific time.
If you want to provide deep cleaning on a specific area, there is an option that allows a robot to clean within the provided zone. Draw a rectangle inside the created map where the machine should clean. You can do the same with the Roomba's barrier and Neato's stripe.
The difference between zoned and room cleaning:
Zoned cleaning makes the robot work in a specific area. Theoretically, it can be the whole room as well. Most of the robot vacuums that have zoned cleaning do not support scheduling within a chosen area.
Room cleaning intends you can make the robot work in the kitchen/living room by simply choosing the room on the map. To set zoned cleaning, you have to draw a rectangle on the map when with room cleaning you can click on the room you need, and the robot will do the rest. Also, room cleaning allows scheduling the robot vacuum to work in a particular room at a specific time.
Roborock S6 Features
- Affordable price. For the high-end features the Roborock S6 offers, it comes with a reasonable price tag
- Target Point. This option sends the robot to a specific point you tag on the map. Very useful for those who can't manage it through the remote control
- The longest battery life on the market
- Great crossing ability. It can climb up to a 20 mm tall obstacle (suitable for thicker carpets)
- Easy-to-slide water tank. Just place in under the robot and slide it until the container clicks
- In the box, two types of cleaning pads: fiber cloth and 10 disposable wipes for everyday cleaning
- The water tank adjusts the level of water dripping depending on your needs. It provides better mopping performance
- The cleaning tool hides under the lid which is useful, you always know where to find it
- Strong suction power. The Roborock S6 is suitable for cleaning hard floors, carpets and pet hair
- Spot cleaning. It moves in a 2*2 m rectangle shape in the spot cleaning mode providing thoughtful cleaning on that spot
- Washable filter. It comes with the HEPA filter that can be washed. It makes the filter live longer
- Carpet boost automatically switches the power to its maximum once the sensors recognize carpeted flooring
- When the dust box gets full, the robot stops working
- In the Mi Home app, you can set virtual block offs and create zone cleaning.
- The cleaning brush has detachable parts. Essential for those who have pets or long hair
- Divides the map into separate rooms. Supports scheduling within these rooms
- Stores up to three maps, perfect for multiple-level houses
What can be better
- The dust box is not too big. You have to empty it after every cleaning especially if you have pets
Why is the Roborock S6 best in the list?
- Strong suction power
- Mopping is more efficient than in the most 2-in-1 robot vacuums
- The longest-lasting battery in the industry
- The quietest
- Provides the longest warranty
- One of the best brushes designed for picking up per hair without getting it clogged
350 S5 Features
- The cheapest one considering its features
- Not noisy even though it has a powerful motor
- Two side brushes
- Washable HEPA filter
- Carpet boost provides deep cleaning on carpets
- Holds in memory all the maps it has created; is able to recognize its position. In case you have two floors house, the S6 can map both floors, and it will understand where it is. You only need to restore the map
- The charging dock hides a cable inside. Something we haven't seen before
- Block off zones prevent the 360 S6 from crossing some areas
- With the app, you can specify areas you want the robot to clean. It does not pass the rectangle you create and will clean within this zone. You can change the size of the area and how many times the S6 should clean.
- Room division and scheduling to work in a certain room at a specific time
- Strong suction
- One of the quietest machines in the industry
What could be better
- Does not have mopping
Why is the 360 S5 best in the list?
- The cheapest
- Best in the price range considering the given features
- The cleaning brush has detachable parts
Neato Botvac D6 Connected Features
- D-shape is ideal for corners cleaning
- A double-tap initiates spot-cleaning mode, which does a seven-foot-square area
- Great carpet performance. Can do both: thin and medium-pile carpets
- A new core brush picks up pet hair. Plus, the ultra-performance filter, captures allergens and dust your pets bring in
- Botvac D6 comes with the multiple floor plan feature which stores up to three-floor plans
- Neato Quick Boost charging to allow the Neato Botvac D6 Connected to calculate how much power it needs to finish its cleaning run and top up accordingly. Your robot will return to its base automatically, get a quick boost, and resume cleaning the rest of your floorplan, meaning your robot is working smarter and your floors get cleaned faster.
What could be better
- Gets stuck in tight spaces because of its D-shape
Why is the Neato Botvac D6 Connected best in the list?
- D-shape works better on corners and edges
- Wide brush covers more making the robot finish cleaning faster
- Works on black carpets
Viomi V2 Features
- The biggest water tank in the industry
- In the box, two types of cleaning pads: one is for everyday cleaning, another one is for one-to-two mopping a week
- Custom mode for targeted cleaning. It makes the Viomi work inside the rectangle you created
- Virtual boundary blocks certain areas
- Strongest suction power in the industry
- One of the cheapest 2-in-1 robot vacuum
What could be better
- Does not identify carpet flooring
Why is the Viomi V2 best in the list?
- The strongest suction
- The biggest water tank
- The cheapest one that does mopping and sweeping at the same time
Roomba i7+ Features
- Dirt detect recognizes high-traffic areas and provides deep cleaning
- Comes with a self-emptying charging base
- When the container inside the robot gets full, the Roomba returns to the dock to get the container empty
- Silicone rollers are designed for cleaning pet hair. These brushes are tangle-free
- Carpet boost cleans carpets that are up to 20 mm of height.
- Stores up to 10 different maps
- Supports zoned cleaning
What could be better
- You cannot set digital virtual walls
- The unit is expensive
- Battery life is not the longest
Why is the Roomba i7+ best in the list?
- Brushless rollers are maintained less and tangle-free. The best for pet hair
- The charging dock empties the container inside so you don’t have to clean the dock for about a month
- Dirt detect recognizes the dirtiest areas
- Returns to the base to empty the dustbin when it gets full
Best Budget Robot Vacuums for Pet Hair
Here are the top 5 best robot vacuum cleaners for pet hair under $300
|Features||ECOVACS Deebot N79S||Eufy RoboVac 30||Roborock Xiaowa Lite||iRobot Roomba 690||Shark Ion R85|
|Battery life (min)||120||120||120||90||60|
|Suction power (Pa)||N/A||1,500||1,600||N/A||1,400|
|Amazon Alexa/Google Home support||yes||no||yes||yes||yes|
|Dustbin capacity (ml)||300||600||640||300||600|
|Barrier-cross ability (in / mm)||0.55 / 14||0.63 / 16||0.79 / 20||0.63 / 16||N/A|
|Area blocking||-||13 ft Boundary Strip||-||Dual Virtual Wall Barrier||-|
|Warranty||12 months||12 months||12 months||12 months||12 months|
- Affordable price. Good price considering its performance
- Compatible with Alexa/Google Home
- Picks up a lot of pet hair on bare floors and thin carpets
- Doesn't do medium and thick carpets
The ECOVACS Deebot N79S is suitable for mixed surfaces or hard floors.
- Large dustbin hols more pet hair. You don't have to empty it as often
- Strong suction power is ideal for cleaning floors from pet hair
- Boundary strip keeps the robot from pet things
- A short body helps the device to get under most furniture
- Can do thin and medium-pile carpets
- Doesn't support Wi-Fi
The Eufy RoboVac 30 is better for small and medium homes with a mixed surface.
- Strong suction power provides good cleaning
- Can do both: bare flooring and carpeted surface (except more than 20 mm thick carpets)
- Doesn't get tangled with hair too much
- Good climbing ability. Can cross over thresholds with ease
- Large dustbin holds a lot of dust and dirt
- Compatible with Alexa0enabled devices
- The app shows when accessories need to be replaced
- Affordable price especially considering what the Xiaowa offers
- Carpet boost provides deep cleaning. Catches pet hair with ease
- Does not come with virtual walls
The Roborock Xiaowa Lite is ideal for mixed and carpeted flooring. Though can work on a bare floor as well.
Read the full review here
- Does thin and medium carpets
- The dual wall barrier blocks the robot from areas where pet stuff are
- Dirt detect recognizes high traffic areas where pet hair is concentrated the most
- Compatible with Alexa/Home
- A bit challenging to get the brushes untangled
The Roomba 690 is better for carpeted flooring and mixed surfaces.
Shark Ion R85 Features
- The cleaning brush is tangle-free. Easy to maintain
- Comes with a price tag under $250
- Great picking ability
- Can work on dark carpets
- Short battery life
What is the best robot vacuum cleaner for pet hair?
Budget Robot Cleaners: Which One To Buy
Both robots: the ECOVACS Deebot N79S and the Eufy RoboVac 30 have similar features and performance. Eufy is a bit more expensive. It works a little bit better on carpets than the ECOVACS, though it doesn't have an app.
Both are suitable for hardwood floor and thin carpets. The Deebot is better for mixed surfaces, while the Eufy works well on carpet flooring.
The Roborock Xiaowa Lite is the most powerful device from those that come without mapping. It is an ideal device for homes with pets because of its strong suction that is able to pick up pet hair on bare floors and all types of carpets except thick ones. Suitable for both: mixed and carpeted flooring.
The Roomba 690 performs excellently on thin and medium-pile carpets making the machine ideal for homes covered with carpets. Though its brushes are a bit hard to deal with, the robot would be great at picking pet hair from a carpeted surface but a bit challenging to untangle pet hair.
The Shark Ion R85 is the one vacuum in our list that works on black carpets. It is equipped with a self-cleaning brush. It is ideal for homes with pets with thin/medium carpets and bare floor. If you don't want to deal with pet hair wrapped around the brush, the Shark Ion R85 is for you.
Those machines that come with mapping are not easy to pick the best from. Since these machines cost from about $300 to $800, we can't choose the best cleaner; it depends on your needs, surface, size of your home, etc.
The Roborock Xiaowa Lite is one of the best budget robot vacuum for carpet and pet hair.
The Roborock Xiaowa Lite is ideal for pet hair considering its price, performance on carpets, strong suction, etc. Its cleaning brush doesn't get hair tangled as much as other bristled brushes do making it great for pet hair. Its suction power is able to deep clean thin and medium-pile carpets. The Roborock Xiaowa Lite C10 is the most powerful robot vacuum cleaner that costs around $200.