Is The New Xiaomi Robot Better Than The 1st Gen and Why? Roborock vs Mi Robot Vacuum Cleaner Comparison
Dec 5, 2017 4 min read
Xiaomi released the upgraded version of robot vacuum cleaner Roborock S50 talked about in our review. The previous model, Mi Robot, has a lot of features that make it one of the best in its price range, but the new one just blew our minds with all the improved features. Both have a smart navigation system, work well on carpets, and in general are worth every penny considering their cleaning performance.
Second gen Xiaomi Roborock vs Xiaomi Mi Robot — what is the difference between the two? Which one is better?
|Specs||Mi Robot||MiJia Roborock|
|Suction Power||1800 Pa||2000 Pa|
|Working Time||2.5 hours||2.5 hours|
|Battery||5200 mAh||5200 mAh|
|Noise (min/max)||61-72 dB||54-67 dB|
|Dust Bin Capacity||420 ml / 14 oz||480 ml / 16 oz|
|Water Box Capacity||no||100 ml|
|Digital Virtual Walls||no||yes|
|App||Mi Home||Improved MiJia|
|Weight (lbs/kg)||8.37 / 3.8||7.7 / 3.5|
|Height (in/cm)||3.78 / 9.6||3.79 / 9.65|
|Width (in/cm)||13.58 / 34.5||13.77 / 35|
|Lenght (in/cm)||13.58 / 34.5||13.9 / 35.3|
|Intelligent carpet identification||no||yes|
|Warranty||1 year||1 year|
|Barrier Height (in/cm)||0.59 /1.5||0.78 / 2|
|Rubber Bumper||no||0.07 in / 2 mm|
|Accessories||charging dock, adapter, cleaning brush||charging dock, charge cable, mopping pad, water tank, cleaning brush|
|Gearbest||Buy on GearBest||Buy on GearBest|
|Amazon||Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon|
Let's start with design and appearance
The «head» move from the top of the lid to the center. Also, the 2nd version has three buttons: spot cleaning mode, home, and recharge. It is still the same minimalist design that looks slightly different from the previous version.
Suction Power / Running Time
- The new generation works for 2.5 hours, the same as the previous robot but the suction power has increased from 1800 Pa to 2000 Pa.
- Roborock can now mop the floor and works for about 45-60 minutes in this mode, making it suitable for any surface.
Technologies Xiaomi Uses
- The new MiJia Roborock has the same laser that helps it to map out a cleaning area. Mi Robot comes with 12 sensors while the 2nd gen has 13;
- The new feature is “intelligent carpet identification” (only presented in Roborock) — once the device recognizes a carpet, it turns the maximum mode on and reverts back to the regular mode when the robot is leaving;
- Obstacle climbing has increased from 1.5 cm to 2 cm;
- The feature "recharge & resume" allows the device to get back to work after recharging in case the battery runs out and the robot doesn't finish its job;
- While the Mi Robot is equipped with a regular HEPA filter, the new one has a washable one. It is not a big difference, but it is definitely good for people who suffer from asthma or allergies.
- Forget about tangling hair because the new MiJia is designed to prevent motor hair from getting stuck. Not a big deal, but anyone would love to think less about things like this, right?
- The omnidirectional pressure sensor helps the Roborock avoid an area that it bumps with its «head»;
- Although the new generation has more suction power than the Mi robot, it comes with a closed silence cotton and porous air sieve that makes it work quieter, noise level is only 54-67dB compared with 61-72 dB in the first gen.
- The upgraded smartphone app is the main thing to pay attention to with the Roborock.
We have to say that the old version is as good, especially considering the price tag that the Mi Robot comes with. There are three processors inside the new MiJia that track its movement in real-time that you can see on your smartphone. You can navigate the device using the new app simply by tapping on a specific area you want to clean, and the robot will do the rest. You can also create a digital wall so the Roborock will not go through it just by drawing the area you'd like the robot to clean on the map built by the Roborock. The feature is great simply because you have the possibility of managing your home assistant when you are away. To wrap it up: the Mijia app allows you to monitor the cleaning process, schedule the cleaning time whenever you want, even multiple times in a day, create virtual walls, and choose the name of your new friend.
Price & Where to Buy
- You can find Xiaomi Roborock on Amazon for the best price of $549.
- The 2nd generation Xiaomi Roborock (white) is available to buy on Gearbest where you can get it for just $419.99 with the coupon code IT$APRBS that is valid until July, 30.
- You can also buy this robot in a Rose Gold color just for $550.99.
Xiaomi Mi Robot
- Xiaomi Mi Robot costs $398 on Amazon * $299.99 on GearBest which is more or less the expected price range for this type of product and functionality.
*Please note that prices on Amazon and Gearbest may change.
Why you should or shouldn't buy the new robot vacuum MiJia Roborock from Xiaomi?
There are reasons to buy Roborock instead of the previous cheaper vacuum, Xiaomi Mi Robot, even though both robots are among the best in their price range. The powerful motor provides a deep cleaning of all carpet types without having an issue with hair tangling (thanks to the tangle-free design). This design makes the latest robovac from Xiaomi ideal for pet owners. In fact, the Xiaomi Mi Robot also does its job well on carpets even though it has 1800 Pa of suction power, while its brother has 2000 Pa. Both robots are equipped with a 5200 mAh battery that lasts the whole 2.5 hours on a single charge.
Both devices have the mapping feature and smart navigation system. Xiaomi 2nd Gen is 2-in-1: sweep and mop, making it perfect for hardwood floors and carpeting surfaces. Its older brother, Mi Robot, can only sweep. Roborock is probably the smartest robot vacuum cleaner on the market so far. With its SLAM algorithm and Laser Sensor, it maps a cleaning area and chooses the most efficient way to clean on its own, providing more thoughtful cleaning. Along with its smart navigation, Xiaomi's newest robot vacuum cleaner has carpet identification which helps the device recognize a carpet and turns on the maximum cleaning mode on its own. And last but not least, there is the new amazing MiJia app--in my opinion the best application to manage the whole working process. So, if you have some extra money and you want to buy a robot vacuum, consider the 2nd generation Xiaomi Roborock because even though the device is more expensive than the first Xiaomi Mi Robot, it is worth every penny of its value.
WHERE TO BUY
Share with friends:
- ECOVACS Deebot R95 vs Neato Botvac Connected Comparison Guide
- Proscenic 790T vs Roomba 690 Comparison: The Best Rated Robot Vacuums on Amazon
- Xiaomi Xiaowa Review: an Affordable Robot Vacuum With Strong Suction
- What Is a Robot Vacuum Cleaner & Why You Should Buy It?
- Shark Ion 750 vs Roomba 690
Found some spelling or grammatical error? Please help us to fix it!
Since English is not our first language, you may notice spelling and grammatical errors in the article. We would be very grateful if you could help us fix the mistakes. Just select the confusing part of the text with your mouse and press Ctrl + Enter, then you will be able to send us a corrected version of the text. Thank you for your effort!