Is The New Xiaomi Robot Better Than The 1st Gen and Why? Roborock vs Mi Robot Vacuum Cleaner Comparison
Dec 5, 2017 6 min read
Xiaomi released the upgraded version of robot vacuum cleaner the Roborock S50 we talked about in our review. The previous model, Mi Robot, comes with a bunch of features that make it one of the best in its price range, but the new one just blew our minds with all the high-end features. Both have a smart navigation system, perform great on carpets, and in general are worth every penny considering their cleaning performance.
The Second gen Xiaomi Roborock vs Xiaomi Mi Robot — what is the difference between the two? Which one is better?
|Specs||Mi Robot||MiJia Roborock S50|
|Suction Power||1,800 Pa||2,000 Pa|
|Working Time||2.5 hours||2.5 hours|
|Battery||5,200 mAh||5,200 mAh|
|Noise (min/max)||61-72 dB||54-67 dB|
|Dust Bin Capacity||420 ml / 14 oz||480 ml / 16 oz|
|Water Box Capacity||-||100 ml|
|Amazon Alexa/Google Home Support||yes||yes|
|Intelligent carpet identification||no||yes|
|Virtual Wall||magnetic tape, zoned cleaning in the app||magnetic tape, zoned cleaning in the app|
|Number of sensors||12||13|
|App||Mi Home||Improved MiJia|
|Barrier Height (in/cm)||0.59 /1.5||0.78 / 2|
|Rubber Bumper||no||0.07 in / 2 mm|
|Weight (lbs/kg)||8.37 / 3.8||7.7 / 3.5|
|Height (in/cm)||3.78 / 9.6||3.79 / 9.65|
|Width (in/cm)||13.58 / 34.5||13.77 / 35|
|Lenght (in/cm)||13.58 / 34.5||13.9 / 35.3|
|Warranty||1 year||1 year|
|Accessories||charging dock, adapter, cleaning brush||charging dock, charge cable, mopping pad, water tank, cleaning brush|
|Gearbest||Buy on GearBest||Buy on GearBest|
|Amazon||Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon|
The difference between the Xiaomi Mi Robot and Xiaomi Roborock
- The Xiaomi Roborock comes with mopping, the Xiaomi Mi robot only sweeps
- The Xiaomi Roborock has a stronger suction power (2000 Pa) than its older brother (1800 Pa)
- The Xiaomi Roborock is less noisy thanks to its cotton and porous air sieve that decrease a noise level
- The second gen is designed with a tangle-free brush that provides less hair wrapping
- The newest robot comes with the app that has an ability to set zoned cleanap, you just need to draw the area to be cleaned on the map. First gen uses a magnetic tape that you can buy separately
- The Xiaomi Roborock can be managed by tapping on the map and the robot goes to the point you chose which is much easier than using the app as a remote control
- The second generation performs better on carpeted surfaces thanks to its carpet boost feature that ensures deep cleaning
- The Roborock is better for pet owners because of its tangle-free design. You will not be annoyed by hair wrapped around the brush
- The newest model comes in three beautiful colors: black, white and rose gold. The Mi robot is available in white only
- The Xiaomi Mi Robot costs $100 less than The Roborock.
What makes xiaomi robots one of the best budget smart cleaners on the market?
- The longest-lasting battery.
- Accurate map
- Better navigation system. The robots recognize obstacles and don't bump into it when working
- Efficient cleaning pattern
- Great carpet performance. Most the expensive robots can handle medium-pile carpets while Xiaomi robots do both: low-pile and medium-pile carpets costing less than most of the competitors
- Because of the accurate map the robot builds, it is able to resume the cleaning process from the point it left when the battery was 20%, and the machine had to get back to recharge.
Design & appearance
In the Xiaomi Roborock the «head» moved from the top of the lid to the center. The 2nd version has three buttons: spot cleaning mode, home, and recharge. It is still the same minimalist black&white design that looks slightly different from the previous version.
Suction Power / Running Time
- Both robots last about 2.5 hours which is longer than most of robot cleaners on the market. Thanks to the recharge & resume feature, the robot covers a large area in one charge which makes each of them ideal for biggest houses.
- The suction power has increased from 1800 Pa to 2000 Pa.
- The Roborock S50 can now mop the floor. It works for about 45-60 minutes in this mode, making the robot suitable for bare floors, carpeted and mixed surfaces.
Robot vacuums mentioned in the article:
The Mi Robot vs. Roborock Features
- The new MiJia Roborock comes with a LIDAR system. The laser is located inside its "head" helps to map out a cleaning area. Mi Robot comes with 12 sensors while the 2nd gen has 13 sensors. The sensors help the robot to navigate around in the most efficient way without bumping into furniture and falling down from stairs;
- The new feature - “intelligent carpet identification” (only presented in Roborock) — once the device recognizes a carpet, it turns on the maximum mode and reverts back to the regular mode when the robot is leaving the carpet providing deep cleaning;
- Obstacle climbing ability has increased from 1.5 cm to 2 cm;
- The feature "recharge & resume" allows the device to get back to work after recharging in case the battery runs out and the robot doesn't finish its job;
- While the Mi Robot is equipped with a regular HEPA filter, the new robot has a washable one. It is not a big difference, but it is definitely good for people who suffer from asthma or allergies.
- Forget about tangling hair because the new MiJia is designed to prevent motor hair from getting stuck. Not a big deal, but anyone would love to think less about things like this, right? Please note, that hair will stuck anyway but not as much as in previous model.
- The omnidirectional pressure sensor helps the Roborock to avoid an area that it bumps with its «head»;
- Although the new generation has more suction power than the Mi robot, it comes with a closed silence cotton and porous air sieve that makes it work quieter, making only 54-67dB of noise compared with 61-72 dB in the first gen.
- The upgraded smartphone app has an ability of creating zones that should be cleaned, send the robot to the point you want just by tapping on the map on your screen etc.
There are three processors inside the newest robot cleaner that track its movement in real-time which you can watch on your smartphone. You can navigate the device using the new app simply by tapping on a specific area you want to clean, and the robot will do the rest. You can create a digital walls as many as you want, so the Roborock will not go through it just by drawing the area you'd like the robot to clean on the map built by the Roborock. The feature is great simply because you have the possibility of managing your home assistant when you are away. To wrap it up: the Mijia app allows you to monitor the cleaning process, schedule the cleaning time whenever you want, even multiple times in a day, create zones to be cleaned, and choose the name of your new friend.
How the Roborock build a map
Price & Where to Buy
For the price of around $300 and $400 Xiaomi can compete with twice more expensive robot cleaners offering more. Now both devices cost even less on Gearbest.
- You can find Xiaomi Roborock on Amazon for the best price of $549.
- The 2nd generation Xiaomi Roborock (white) is available to buy on Gearbest where you can get it for just $369.99.
- You can also buy the newest Roborock S55 (the same as the S50, but in black color) on GearBest for $359.99.
Xiaomi Mi Robot
- Xiaomi Mi Robot costs $365 on Amazon
- [$249.99 on GearBest](https://www.gearbest.com/robot-vacuum/pp_009816316347.html?wid=1349303 &lkid=12056599) (with the coupon code GB-XM1111, valid until November 11) which is a great price for this functionality.
*Please note that prices on Amazon and Gearbest may change.
Xiaomi Roborock Video Review
Why you should or shouldn't buy the new robot vacuum MiJia Roborock from Xiaomi?
There are reasons to buy Roborock instead of the previous cheaper vacuum, Xiaomi Mi Robot, even though both robots are among the best in their price range. The powerful motor provides a deep cleaning of all carpet types without having an issue with hair tangling (thanks to the tangle-free design). This design makes the latest robovac from Xiaomi ideal for pet owners. In fact, the Xiaomi Mi Robot also does its job well on carpets even though it has 1800 Pa of suction power, while its brother has 2000 Pa. Both robots are equipped with a 5200 mAh battery that lasts the whole 2.5 hours on a single charge.
Both devices come with the mapping feature and smart navigation system. Xiaomi 2nd Gen is 2-in-1: sweep and mop, making it perfect for hardwood floors, carpeting and mixed surfaces. Its older brother, Mi Robot, can only sweep. Roborock is probably the smartest robot vacuum cleaner on the market so far. With its SLAM algorithm and a Laser Sensor, it maps a cleaning area and chooses the most efficient way to clean on its own, providing more thoughtful cleaning. Along with its smart navigation, Xiaomi's newest robot vacuum cleaner has carpet identification that helps the device to recognize a carpet and switch the maximum cleaning mode automatically. And last but not least, there is the new amazing MiJia app - in my opinion the best application to manage the whole working process. So, if you have some extra money and you want to buy a robot vacuum, consider the 2nd generation Xiaomi Roborock because even though the device is more expensive than the first Xiaomi Mi Robot, it is worth every penny of its value.
UPDATE: If you want a robot vacuum that is as powerful as Xiaomi Roborock, take a look at the newest 360 S6. It has a nice design, high build quality, very similar features such as intelligent mapping, strong suction power, wet mopping etc., yet costs less.
Found some spelling or grammatical error? Please help us to fix it!
Since English is not our first language, you may notice spelling and grammatical errors in the article. We would be very grateful if you could help us fix the mistakes. Just select the confusing part of the text with your mouse and press Ctrl + Enter, then you will be able to send us a corrected version of the text. Thank you for your effort!
WHERE TO BUY
Related Robot Vacuum Comparisons
- Compare iCLEBO Alfa vs. Xiaomi Roborock S50 (2nd Generation)
- iRobot Roomba 890 vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot Comparison
- Comparing VIOMI VXRS01 vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot
- iRobot Roomba 895 vs. Xiaomi Roborock S50 (2nd Generation) Comparison Chart
- Comparing Xiaomi Xiaowa E20 (E202) vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot
- Dibea GT200 Review: a Budget Robot Vacuum with a Gyroscope Navigation
- Can the Alfawise WIN660 Make Your Windows Crystal Clean? The Ultimate Robotic Window Cleaner Review
- Meet the Dibea GT200: a Budget Robot Vacuum With a Smart Gyroscope Navigation System
- Top 10 Best Robot Vacuum Cleaners For Pet Hair
- The Xiaomi Roborock S55 Review: an Intelligent and Powerful Robot Vacuum Cleaner You Always Wished To Have