Is The New Roborock S5 Better Than the 1st Gen Xiaomi Mi Robot? The Roborock S5 and Xiaomi Mi Robot Comparison
Dec 5, 2017 6 min read
Probably everyone who is interested in robot vacuums heard about the Xiaomi Mi Robot vacuum cleaner since it became very popular. The robot vacuum cleaners manufacturer Roborock which designed and developed the Mi Robot together with their partner and investor Xiaomi Corporation, has launched a new second-generation version of the robot called the Roborock S5 (also known as Roborock S50 and S55, the difference is only in color) we talked about in our latest review. The previous model, Xiaomi Mi Robot, comes with a bunch of features that make it one of the best in its price range, but the new one just blew our minds with all the high-end features. Both have a smart navigation system, perform great on carpets, and in general are worth every penny considering their cleaning performance.
The Roborock S5 vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot — what is the difference between the two? Which one is better?
|Specs||Mi Robot||Roborock S5|
|Suction Power||1,800 Pa||2,000 Pa|
|Working Time||2.5 hours||2.5 hours|
|Battery||5,200 mAh||5,200 mAh|
|Noise (min/max)||61-72 dB||54-67 dB|
|Dust Bin Capacity||420 ml / 14 oz||480 ml / 16 oz|
|Water Box Capacity||-||100 ml|
|Amazon Alexa/Google Home Support||yes||yes|
|Intelligent carpet identification||no||yes|
|Virtual Wall||magnetic tape, zoned cleaning in the app||magnetic tape, zoned cleaning in the app|
|Number of sensors||12||13|
|App||Mi Home||Mi Home|
|Barrier Height (in/cm)||0.59 /1.5||0.78 / 2|
|Rubber Bumper||no||0.07 in / 2 mm|
|Weight (lbs/kg)||8.37 / 3.8||7.7 / 3.5|
|Height (in/cm)||3.78 / 9.6||3.79 / 9.65|
|Width (in/cm)||13.58 / 34.5||13.77 / 35|
|Lenght (in/cm)||13.58 / 34.5||13.9 / 35.3|
|Warranty||1 year||1 year|
|Accessories||charging dock, adapter, cleaning brush||charging dock, charge cable, mopping pad, water tank, cleaning brush|
|Gearbest||Buy on GearBest||Buy on GearBest|
|Amazon||Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon|
The difference between the Xiaomi Mi Robot and Roborock S5
- The Roborock S5 comes with mopping, the Xiaomi Mi Robot only sweeps
- The Roborock has a stronger suction power (2000 Pa) than its older brother (1800 Pa)
- The Roborock is less noisy thanks to its cotton and porous air sieve that decrease a noise level
- The second gen is designed with a tangle-free brush that provides less hair wrapping
- The newest robot comes with the app that can set zoned cleanup, you need to draw the area to be cleaned on the map. The Mi Robot uses a magnetic tape that you can buy separately
- The Roborock can be managed by tapping on the map, and the robot goes to the point you chose which is much easier than using the app as a remote control
- The second generation performs better on carpeted surfaces thanks to its carpet boost feature that ensures deep cleaning
- The Roborock S5 is better for pet owners because of its tangle-free design. You will not be annoyed by hair wrapped around the brush
- The newest model comes in three beautiful colors: black, white and rose gold. The Mi Robot is available in white only
- The Xiaomi Mi Robot costs $100 less than the Roborock.
What makes those robots the best budget smart cleaners on the market?
- The longest-lasting battery.
- Accurate map
- Better navigation system. The robots recognize obstacles and don't bump into it when working
- Efficient cleaning pattern
- Great carpet performance. Most the expensive robots can handle medium-pile carpets while Xiaomi robots do both: low-pile and medium-pile carpets costing less than most of the competitors
- Because of the accurate map the robot builds, it can resume the cleaning process from the point it left when the battery was 20%, and the machine had to get back to recharge.
Design & appearance
The Roborock «head» moved from the top of the lid to the center. The 2nd version has three buttons: spot cleaning mode, home, and recharge. It is still the same minimalist black&white design that looks slightly different from the previous version.
Suction Power / Running Time
- Both robots last about 2.5 hours which is longer than most of the robot cleaners on the market. Thanks to the recharge & resume feature, the robot covers a large area in one charge which makes each of them ideal for biggest houses.
- The suction power has increased from 1,800 Pa to 2,000 Pa.
- The Roborock S5 can now mop the floor. It works for about 45-60 minutes in this mode, making the robot suitable for bare floors, carpeted and mixed surfaces.
Robot vacuums mentioned in the article:
The Mi Robot vs. Roborock S5 Features
- The new Roborock S5 comes with a LIDAR system. The laser is located inside its "head" helps to map out a cleaning area. The Mi Robot comes with 12 sensors while the S5 has 13 sensors. The sensors help the robot to navigate around most efficiently without bumping into furniture and falling from stairs;
- The new feature - "intelligent carpet identification" (only presented in the Roborock) — once the device recognizes a carpet, it turns on the maximum mode and reverts to the regular mode when the robot is leaving the carpet providing deep cleaning;
- Obstacle climbing ability has increased from 1.5 cm to 2 cm;
- The feature "recharge & resume" allows the device to get back to work after recharging in case the battery runs out and the robot doesn't finish its job;
- While the Mi Robot is equipped with a regular HEPA filter, the new S5 has a washable one. It is not a big difference, but it is good for people who suffer from asthma or allergies.
- Forget about tangling hair because the new Roborock is designed to prevent motor hair from getting stuck. Not a big deal, but anyone would love to think less about things like this, right? Please note, that hair will be stuck anyway but not as much as in the previous model.
- The omnidirectional pressure sensor helps the Roborock to avoid an area that it bumps with its «head»;
- Although the new generation has more suction power than the Mi Robot, it comes with closed silence cotton and porous air sieve that makes it work quieter, producing only 54-67dB of noise compared with 61-72 dB in the first gen.
- The upgraded smartphone app can create zones that should be cleaned, send the robot to the point you want just by tapping on the map on your screen, etc.
There are three processors inside the newest robot cleaner that track its movement in real-time which you can watch on your smartphone. You can navigate the device using the new app just by tapping on a specific area you want to clean, and the robot will do the rest. You can create digital walls as many as you want, so the Roborock will not go through it just by drawing the area you'd like the robot to clean on the map built by the Roborock. The feature is excellent precisely because you have the possibility of managing your home assistant when you are away. To wrap it up: the Mijia app allows you to monitor the cleaning process, schedule the cleaning time whenever you want, even multiple times in a day, create zones to be cleaned, and choose the name of your new friend.
How the Roborock build a map
Price & Where to Buy
For the price of around $300 and $400, both robot vacuums can compete with twice more expensive robot cleaners offering more. Now those devices cost even less on Gearbest.
- You can find the Roborock S50 on Amazon for the best price of $546.
- The Roborock S50 (white) is available to buy on Gearbest where you can get it for just $379.99.
- You can also buy the newest Roborock S55 on GearBest for $399.99.
Xiaomi Mi Robot
- The Xiaomi Mi Robot costs $360 on Amazon
- $259.99 on GearBest which is a great price for this functionality.
*Please note that prices on Amazon and Gearbest may change.
The Roborock S5 Video Review
Why should you or shouldn't buy the newest model Roborock?
There are reasons to buy the Roborock S5 instead of the previous cheaper vacuum, the Xiaomi Mi Robot, even though both robots are among the best in their price range. The powerful motor provides a deep cleaning of all carpet types without having an issue with hair tangling (thanks to the tangle-free design). This design makes the latest robovac from Roborock ideal for pet owners. The Xiaomi Mi Robot also does its job well on carpets even though it has 1,800 Pa of suction power, while its brother has 2,000 Pa. Both robots are equipped with a 5,200 mAh battery that lasts the whole 2.5 hours on a single charge.
Both devices come with the mapping feature and smart navigation system. The Roborock is 2-in-1: sweep and mop, making it perfect for hardwood floors, carpeting, and mixed surfaces. Its older brother, the Mi Robot, can only sweep. The Roborock S5 is probably the smartest robot vacuum cleaner on the market so far. With its SLAM algorithm and a Laser Sensor (LIDAR), it maps a cleaning area and chooses the most efficient way to clean on its own, providing more careful cleaning. Along with its smart navigation, the newest robot vacuum cleaner has carpet identification that helps the device to recognize a carpet and switch the maximum cleaning mode automatically. And last but not least, there is the new amazing Mi Home app - in my opinion the best application to manage the whole working process. So, if you have some extra money and you want to buy a robot vacuum, consider the Roborock S5 because even though the device is more expensive than the first Xiaomi Mi Robot, it is worth every penny of its value.
UPDATE: If you want a robot vacuum that is as powerful as the Roborock, take a look at the newest 360 S6. It has a beautiful design, high build quality, very similar features such as intelligent mapping, strong suction power, wet mopping, etc., yet costs less.