Roborock S5 vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot: Which One is Better?
|Robot vacuums mentioned in the article|
|Roborock S50 (White)||$569.98|
|Xiaomi Mi Robot||$369.90|
Probably everyone who is interested in robot vacuums heard about the Xiaomi Mi Robot vacuum cleaner since it had became very popular. The robot vacuum cleaners manufacturer Roborock which designed and developed the Mi Robot together with their partner and investor Xiaomi Corporation, has launched a new second-generation version of the robot called the Roborock S5 (also known as Roborock S50 and S55, the difference is only in color) we talked about in our latest review. The previous model, Xiaomi Mi Robot, comes with a bunch of features that make it one of the best in its price range, but the new one just blew our minds with all the high-end features. Both have a smart navigation system, perform great on carpets, and in general are worth every penny considering their cleaning performance.
The Roborock S5 vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot — what is the difference between the two? Which one is better?
|Specs||Mi Robot||Roborock S5|
|Suction Power (Pa)||1,800||2,000|
|Working Time (min)||150||150|
|Battery capacity (mAh)||5,200||5,200|
|Noise in min/max mode (dB)||61-72||54-67|
|Dust Bin Capacity (ml/oz)||420 / 14||480 / 16|
|Water Box Capacity (ml)||-||100|
|Amazon Alexa/Google Home Support||yes||yes|
|Intelligent carpet identification||no||yes|
|Virtual Wall||magnetic tape; zoned cleaning and block offs in the app||zoned cleaning and block offs in the app|
|Number of sensors||12||13|
|App||Mi Home||Mi Home|
|Barrier Height (in/cm)||0.59 /1.5||0.78 / 2|
|Rubber Bumper (in/cm)||no||0.07 / 2|
|Weight (lbs/kg)||8.37 / 3.8||7.7 / 3.5|
|Height (in/cm)||3.78 / 9.6||3.79 / 9.65|
|Width (in/cm)||13.58 / 34.5||13.77 / 35|
|Lenght (in/cm)||13.58 / 34.5||13.9 / 35.3|
|Warranty||1 year||1 year|
|Accessories||charging dock, adapter, cleaning brush||charging dock, charge cable, mopping pad, water tank, cleaning brush|
|Gearbest||Buy on GearBest||Buy on GearBest|
|Amazon||Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon|
The difference between the Xiaomi Mi Robot and Roborock S5
- The Roborock S5 comes with mopping, the Xiaomi Mi Robot only sweeps
- The Roborock has a stronger suction power (2000 Pa) than its older brother (1800 Pa)
- The Roborock is less noisy thanks to its cotton and porous air sieve that decreases a noise level
- The second gen is designed with a tangle-free brush that provides less hair wrapping
- The Mi Robot comes with a magnetic tape in the box; the Roborock S5 does not
- The Roborock can be managed by tapping on the map, and the robot goes to the point you chose which is much easier than using the app as a remote control
- The second generation performs better on carpeted surfaces thanks to its carpet boost feature that ensures deep cleaning
- The Roborock S5 is better for pet owners because of its tangle-free design. You will not be annoyed by hair wrapped around the brush
- The newest model comes in three beautiful colors: black, white and rose gold. The Mi Robot is available in white only
- The Xiaomi Mi Robot costs $100 less than the Roborock.
What makes these robots the best budget smart cleaners on the market?
- The longest-lasting battery
- Accurate map
- Better navigation system. The robots recognize obstacles and don't bump into it when working
- Efficient cleaning pattern
- Great carpet performance. The Xiaomi robots do both: low-pile and medium-pile carpets with a cost less than most of the high-end robot vacuums do
- Because of the accurate map the robot builds, it can resume the cleaning process from the point it left when the battery was 20%, and the machine had to get back to recharge
- The app allows to set block offs and zoned cleaning
- Integration with Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
Design & appearance
The Roborock «head» moved from the top of the lid to the center. The 2nd version has three buttons: spot cleaning mode, home, and recharge. It is still the same minimalist black&white design that looks slightly different from the previous version.
Battery life & Cleaning performance
- Both robots last about 2.5 hours which is longer than most of the robot cleaners on the market. Thanks to the recharge & resume feature, the robot covers a large area in one charge which makes each of them ideal for bigger houses
- The suction power has increased from 1,800 Pa to 2,000 Pa
- The Roborock S5 is able to cross a 20mm tall obstacle; the Xiaomi Mi Robot climbs a 15mm height one
- The Roborock S5 can now mop the floor. It works for about 45-60 minutes in this mode, making the robot suitable for bare floors, carpeted and mixed surfaces
- The Xiaomi Mi Robot is ideal for homes with mixed surface and thin carpets.
Robot vacuums mentioned in the article:
The Mi Robot vs. Roborock S5 Features
- The new Roborock S5 comes with a LIDAR system. The laser is located inside its "head" helps to map out a cleaning area. The Mi Robot comes with 12 sensors while the S5 has 13 sensors. The sensors help the robot to navigate around most efficiently without bumping into furniture and falling from stairs. The LIDAR doesn't need a ligh on in the room and allows the robots to clean on dark shade carpets;
- The new feature - "intelligent carpet identification" (only presented in the Roborock) — once the device recognizes a carpet, it turns on the maximum mode and reverts to the regular mode when the robot is off the carpet providing deep cleaning;
- Obstacle climbing ability has increased from 1.5 cm to 2 cm. It matters when comes to cleaning medium-pile carpets;
- The feature "recharge & resume" allows the device to get back to work after recharging in case the battery runs out and the robot doesn't finish its job;
- While the Mi Robot is equipped with a regular HEPA filter, the new S5 has a washable one. The washable HEPA lasts longer and is good for people who suffer from asthma or allergies.
- Forget about tangling hair because the new Roborock is designed to prevent motor hair from getting stuck. Not a big deal, but anyone would love to think less about things like this, right? Please note, that hair will be stuck anyway but not as much as in the previous model;
- The omnidirectional pressure sensor helps the Roborock to avoid an area where it bumps with its «head»;
- Although the new generation has more suction power than the Mi Robot, it comes with closed silence cotton and porous air sieve that makes it work quieter, producing only 54-67dB of noise compared with 61-72 dB in the first gen;
- The upgraded smartphone app allows creating zones that should be cleaned, setting block offs, and send the robot to the point you want just by tapping on the map on your screen, etc
- Both robot cleaners support Alexa-enabled devices and Google Assistant.
There are three processors inside the newest robot cleaner that track its movement in real-time which you can watch on your smartphone. You can navigate the device using the new app just by tapping on a specific area you want to clean, and the robot will do the rest; and there is an ability to manualy manage its movements as a radio car. You can create digital block offs as many as you want, so the Roborock and Mi Robot will not go through it just by drawing the area you'd like the robot to clean on the map. The feature is excellent precisely because you have the possibility of managing the vacuum when you are away. To wrap it up: the Mi Home app allows you to monitor the cleaning process, schedule the cleaning time whenever you want, even multiple times in a day, create zones to be cleaned, set block offs, choose the name of your new friend and so on.
How the Roborock builds a map
Price & Where to Buy
For the price of around $300 and $400, both robot vacuums can compete with twice more expensive robot cleaners. Now those devices cost even less on Gearbest.
- You can find the Roborock S50 on Amazon for the best price of $546.
- The Roborock S50 (white) is available to buy on Gearbest where you can get it for around $450.
- You can also buy the newest Roborock S55 on GearBest for $569.35.
Xiaomi Mi Robot
- The Xiaomi Mi Robot costs $360 on Amazon
- $289.99 on GearBest which is a great price for this functionality.
*Please note that prices on Amazon and Gearbest may change
The Roborock S5 Video Review
The Xiaomi Mi Robot Video Review
Why should you or shouldn't buy the newest model Roborock?
There are reasons to buy the Roborock S5 instead of the previous cheaper vacuum, the Xiaomi Mi Robot, even though both robots are among the best in their price range. The powerful motor provides deep cleaning on all carpet types (except thick ones) without having an issue with hair tangling (thanks to the tangle-free design). This design makes the latest robovac from Roborock ideal for pet owners. The Xiaomi Mi Robot also does its job well on carpets even though it has 1,800 Pa of suction power, while its brother has 2,000 Pa. Both robots are equipped with a 5,200 mAh battery that lasts the whole 2.5 hours on a single charge.
Both devices come with the mapping feature and smart navigation system. The Roborock is 2-in-1: sweep and mop, making it perfect for hardwood floors, carpeting, and mixed surfaces. Its older brother, the Mi Robot, can only sweep. The Roborock S5 is probably the smartest robot vacuum cleaner on the market so far. Along with its smart navigation, the newest robot vacuum cleaner has carpet identification that helps the device to recognize a carpet and switch the maximum cleaning mode automatically.
Please note, the Roborock can climb up to 20mm height obstacle which in addition to carpet boost and stronger suction makes it better when it comes to carpet cleaning.
The Xiaomi Mi Robot works well on thin carpets and area rugs which makes it suitable for mixed surface.
So, if you have some extra money and you want to buy a robot vacuum, consider the Roborock S5 because even though the device is more expensive than the first Xiaomi Mi Robot, it is one of the best cleaner on the market for its value.
UPDATE: If you want a robot vacuum that is as powerful as the Roborock, take a look at the newest 360 S6. It has a beautiful design, high build quality, very similar features such as intelligent mapping, strong suction power, wet mopping, etc., yet costs less.
Where to buy
Found some spelling or grammatical error? Please help us to fix it!
Since English is not our first language, you may notice spelling and grammatical errors in the article. We would be very grateful if you could help us fix the mistakes. Just select the confusing part of the text with your mouse and press Ctrl + Enter, then you will be able to send us a corrected version of the text. Thank you for your effort!
Related Robot Vacuum Comparisons
- Compare Xiaomi Mi Robot vs. Samsung POWERbot Essential R9020
- Comparing Xiaomi Mi Robot vs. XinBot A1S
- ILIFE A6 vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot Comparison Chart
- Comparing LIECTROUX B6009 vs. Roborock S50 (White)
- Compare LIECTROUX B3000PLUS vs. Roborock S50 (White)
- 12 Best Robot Vacuum Cleaners of 2019 For Different Cleaning Needs
- Top 5 Best-Rated Robot Vacuum Cleaners of 2019
- Can the Roomba 690 beat the Roomba 960? Comparison Chart
- Can the Roborock Xiaowa be the Roomba 690 Alternative?
- What Is the Difference Between the Roborock S5, Roborock Xiaowa Lite, Roborock Xiaowa E2/E3, and Xiaomi Mi Robot