Is The New Xiaomi Robot Better Than The 1st Gen And Why? Roborock vs Mi Robot Vacuum Cleaner Comparison
Dec 5, 2017 4 min read
Xiaomi released the upgraded version robot vacuum cleaner Roborock S50 we've talked about in our review. The previous model Mi Robot has a lot of features that make it one of the best in its price segment but the new one just blew our minds with all the improved features the Roborock get. Both have a smart navigation system, work well on carpets and in generall cost every penny considering its cleaning performance.
Second gen Xiaomi Roborock vs Xiaomi Mi Robot — what is the difference between the two. Which one is better?
|Specs||Mi Robot||MiJia Roborock|
|Suction Power||1800 Pa||2000 Pa|
|Working Time||2.5 hours||2.5 hours|
|Battery||5200 mAh||5200 mAh|
|Noise (min/max)||61-72 dB||54-67 dB|
|Dust Bin Capacity||420 ml / 14 oz||480 ml / 16 oz|
|Water Box Capacity||no||100 ml|
|Digital Virtual Walls||no||yes|
|App||Mi Home||Improved MiJia|
|Weight (lbs/kg)||8.37 / 3.8||7.7 / 3.5|
|Height (in/cm)||3.78 / 9.6||3.79 / 9.65|
|Width (in/cm)||13.58 / 34.5||13.77 / 35|
|Lenght (in/cm)||13.58 / 34.5||13.9 / 35.3|
|Intelligent carpet identification||no||yes|
|Warranty||1 year||1 year|
|Barrier Height (in/cm)||0.59 /1.5||0.78 / 2|
|Rubber Bumper||no||0.07 in / 2 mm|
|Accessories||charging dock, charge cable, mopping pad, water tank, cleaning brush||charging dock, adapter, cleaning brush|
|Gearbest||Buy on GearBest||Buy on GearBest|
|Amazon||Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon|
Let's start with design and appearance
The «head» moved from the top of the lid to the center. Also, 2nd version has three buttons: spot cleaning mode, home and recharge. It is still the same minimalist design that looks slightly different from the previous version.
Suction power / Running Time
- The new generation works for 2.5 h same as the previous robot does but the suction power increased from 1800 Pa to 2000 Pa.
- Roborock now can mop the floor and works for about 45-60 min in this mode which makes it suitable for any surface.
Technologies Xiaomi Use
- The new MiJia Roborock have the same laser that helps it to map out a cleaning area. Mi Robot comes with 12 sensors whilst the 2nd gen has 13;
- The new feature is intelligent carpet identification (only presented in Roborock) — once the device recognizes a carpet it turns the maximum mode on and gets back to the regular mode when the robot is leaving it;
- Obstacle climbing increased from 1.5 cm to 2 cm;
- The feature "recharge&resume" which allows it to get back to work after recharging in case the battery runs out and the robot doesn't finish its job;
- Since the Mi Robot equipped with a regular HEPA filter, the new one has a washable HEPA filter. It is not a big difference but it definitely good for people who suffer from asthma or allergies;
- Forget about tangling hair because the new MiJia designed to prevent the motor hair that stuck in it. Not the big deal but anyone would love to think less about things like that, right?
- Omnidirectional pressure sensor helps the Roborock to avoid the area when it bumps with its «head»;
- Although the new generation has more suction power than Mi robot does it comes with closed silence cotton and porous air sieve that makes it work more quite and delivers only 54-67dB compared with 61-72 dB in the first gen. It is the same noise level almost all the ILIFE robots work with;
- The upgraded smartphone app perhaps is the main thing to pay attention to Roborock.
Well, the old version is good as well especially considering the price tag Mi Robot comes with. There are three processors inside the new MiJia that track its movement in the real-time that you can see on your smartphone. You can navigate the device using the new app simply by tapping on a specific area you want to clean and the robot will do the rest. Also, you can create a digital wall so the Roborock will not go through it just by drawing the area you'd like the robot to clean on the map Roborock has built. The feature is great simply because you have a possibility to manage your home assistant when you are away from home. To wrap it up: Mijia app allows you to monitor the cleaning process, schedule the cleaning time whenever you want even multiple times in a day, create virtual walls, and choose the name of your new friend.
Price & Where to Buy
You can find Xiaomi Roborock on Amazon for the best price of $533.73.
Also, you can buy this robot in a Rose Gold color just for $459.99.
Xiaomi Mi Robot
- Xiaomi Mi Robot costs $309.99 on Amazon and $339.99 on GearBest (with the coupon code GBsale97) is more or less the expected price range for this type of product and functionality.
*Please note that prices on Amazon and Gearbest may change.
Why you should or shouldn't buy the new robot vacuum MiJia Roborock from Xiaomi?
There are some reasons to buy Roborock instead of the previous cheaper vacuum Xiaomi Mi Robot even though both robots are one of the best in their price range. The powerful motor provides deep clean of all carpet types without having an issue with hair-tangling (thanks to the tangle-free design). The tangle-free design makes the latest robovac from Xiaomi ideal for pet owners. In fact, Xiaomi Mi Robot also does its job on carpets well even though it has 1800 Pa of suction power when its brother has 2000 Pa. Both robots are equipped with 5200 mAh battery that lasts the whole 2.5 hours on a single charge.
Both devices have the mapping feature and smart navigation system. Xiaomi 2nd Gen is 2-in-1: sweep and mop making it perfect for hardwood floors and carpeting surface. Its older brother Mi Robot only can sweep. Roborock probably is the smartest robot vacuum cleaner on the market so far. With its SLAM algorithm and Laser Sensor, it maps a cleaning area and chooses the most efficient way to clean on its own providing more thoughtful cleaning. Along with its smart navigation, Xiaomi's newest robot vacuum cleaner has the carpet identification which helps the device to recognize a carpet and then it turns on the Maximum cleaning mode on its own. And the last but not least — the new amazing MiJia app that in my opinion is the best application to manage the whole working process. So if you have some extra money and you want to buy a robot vacuum consider getting the 2nd generation Xiaomi Roborock because even though the device is more expensive than 1st Xiaomi Mi Robot, it worth every penny of its value.
UPDATE: Xiaomi introduced a new home robot — Xiaomi Xiaowa Robot Vacuum that costs less than $300. If you don't need mapping feature or want to save money you should take a look at this model.
Get $100 off for a powerful robot vacuum Xiaomi Roborock with the coupon code GB100-$20off-
WHERE TO BUY
- ECOVACS DEEBOT Robot Vacuums With Mapping And Path Planning: Model Comparison Chart
- ECOVACS CEN540-LG vs DG801 vs DE33 Comparison
- Best Budget Robot Vacuum Cleaners That Are Compatible With Amazon Alexa And Google Assistant
- What Is The Difference: Xiaowa Lite vs Xiaowa Route Planning Version
- The Best Robot Mops To Buy In 2018
Found some spelling or grammatical error? Please help us to fix it!
Since English is not our first language, you may notice spelling and grammatical errors in the article. We would be very grateful if you could help us to fix the mistakes. Just select the confusing part of the text with your mouse and press Ctrl + Enter, then you will be able to send us a corrected version of the text. Thank you for your effort!
Array ( [thread] => resource-42 [name] => [email] => )