Roborock S5 vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot: Which One is Better?
|Robot vacuums mentioned in the article|
|Xiaomi Mi Robot||$269.99|
Probably everyone interested in robot vacuums heard about the Xiaomi Mi Robot vacuum cleaner since it had become very popular. The robot vacuum cleaners manufacturer Roborock which designed and developed the Mi Robot together with their partner and investor Xiaomi Corporation, has launched a new second-generation version of the robot called the Roborock S5 (also known as Roborock S50 and S55, the difference is only in color) we talked about in our latest review. The previous model, Xiaomi Mi Robot, comes with a bunch of features that make it one of the best in its price range, but the new one just blew our minds with all the high-end features. Both have a smart navigation system, perform great on carpets, and in general, are worth every penny considering their cleaning performance.
[Update, May 2019]: Roborock released the newest robot vacuum - Roborock S6, you can read our full review of this model. Also, there is a new version of the Mi Robot - the Xiaomi MiJia 1S with AI image recognization and stronger suction.
What makes these robots the best budget smart cleaners on the market?
- The longest-lasting battery. Thanks to the 5,200 mAh battery that lasts up to 150 minutes and the recharge&resume feature, the Roborock S5, and Xiaomi Mi Robot are ideal for big homes.
- Build an accurate map & have better navigation. The robots recognize obstacles and don't bump into things like furniture when working. LIDAR helps to create an accurate plan of a cleaning area. The cleaners move back-and-forth in straight lines.
- Great carpet cleaning performance. Thanks to the strong suction and excellent climbing ability, both of the cleaners perform well on carpet flooring. The Mi Robot can do up to 15mm thick carpets; the Roborock S5 - 20 mm.
- The app allows to set block offs and zoned cleaning. In the Mi Home app, you can set restricted areas that block the robot from crossing a particular zone (Supported by the Roborock S5 only). Also, in the app, you can set zoned cleaning so the machine will work within a chosen area.
The Roborock S5 vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot — what is the difference between the two? Which one is better?
|Specs||Mi Robot||Roborock S5|
|Suction Power (Pa)||1,800||2,000|
|Working Time (min)||150||150|
|Battery capacity (mAh)||5,200||5,200|
|Noise in min/max mode (dB)||61-72||54-67|
|Dust Bin Capacity (ml/oz)||420 / 14||480 / 16|
|Water Box Capacity (ml)||-||100|
|Amazon Alexa/Google Home Support||yes||yes|
|Intelligent carpet identification||no||yes|
|Virtual Wall||magnetic tape; zoned cleaning in the app||zoned cleaning and block offs in the app|
|Number of sensors||12||13|
|App||Mi Home||Mi Home|
|Barrier Height (in/cm)||0.59 /1.5||0.78 / 2|
|Rubber Bumper (in/cm)||no||0.07 / 2|
|Weight (lbs/kg)||8.37 / 3.8||7.7 / 3.5|
|Height (in/cm)||3.78 / 9.6||3.79 / 9.65|
|Width (in/cm)||13.58 / 34.5||13.77 / 35|
|Lenght (in/cm)||13.58 / 34.5||13.9 / 35.3|
|Warranty||1 year||1 year|
|Accessories||charging dock, adapter, cleaning brush||charging dock, charge cable, mopping pad, water tank, cleaning brush|
|Where to buy||GearBest / Amazon / GeekBuing||GearBest / Amazon / GeekBuying|
The difference between the Xiaomi Mi Robot and Roborock S5
- 2-in-1: The Roborock S5 comes with mopping, the Xiaomi Mi Robot only sweeps.
- Suction power: The Roborock has a stronger suction power (2,000 Pa) than its older brother (1,800 Pa).
- Noise level: The Roborock is less noisy thanks to its cotton and porous air sieve that decreases a noise level.
- Brush design: The second gen is designed with a tangle-free brush that prevents too much of hair wrapping.
- Accessories in the package. The Mi Robot comes with magnetic tape in the box; the Roborock S5 does not.
- Target point: The Roborock can be managed by tapping on the map, and the robot goes to the point you chose which is much easier than using the app as a remote control.
- Carpet cleaning: The second generation performs better on carpeted surfaces thanks to its carpet boost feature that ensures deep cleaning and better climbing ability.
- Pet hair: The Roborock S5 is better for pet owners because of its tangle-free design. You will not be annoyed by hair wrapped around the brush.
- Color options: The newest model comes in three beautiful colors: black, white and rose gold. The Mi Robot is available in white only.
- Mi Home: The Roborock supports restricted area and zoned cleaning in the Mi Home app; the Mi Robot just comes with zoned cleaning.
- Better climbing ability: The Roborock S5 can cross an obstacle up to 20 mm height while the Mi Robot manages to get through carpets that are not thicker than 15 mm.
- Price: The Xiaomi Mi Robot costs $100 less than the Roborock.
Roborock S5 vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot main features
The Roborock S5 and Xiaomi Mi Robot are similar yet different. They share the same long-lasting battery, both have the LDS laser inside to create a map, both have a minimalist design. Even though the Xiaomi Mi Robot is one of the budget cleaners that provide great cleaning performance on carpeted surface, the Roborock S5 does it slightly better. What are the main features both of them have in common?
Design & appearance
The Roborock «head» moved from the top of the lid to the center. The 2nd version has three buttons: spot cleaning mode, home, and recharge. It is still the same minimalist black&white design that looks slightly different from the previous version.
- The Roborock S5 can now mop the floor. It works for about 45-60 minutes in this mode, making the robot suitable for bare floors, thin and medium-pile carpets that are not thicker than 20 mm.
- The Xiaomi Mi Robot is ideal for homes with mixed surface and thin carpets.
The HEPA filter can be washed and is meant to be last several years
Robot vacuums mentioned in the article:
Mi Robot vs. Roborock S5 Features
- Both: the new Roborock S5 and Mi Robot come with the LIDAR system. The LDS laser that is located inside its "head" helps to map out a cleaning area. The Mi Robot comes with 12 sensors while the S5 has 13 sensors. The sensors help the robot to navigate around most efficiently without bumping into furniture and falling from stairs. The LIDAR doesn't need a light on in the room when vacuuming;
The Xiaomi Mi Robot and Roborock S5 remember your floor layout
- Both models are equipped with the longest-lasting 5,200 mAh battery that lasts up to 150 minutes;
- Intelligent carpet identification (only supported by the Roborock) — once the device recognizes a carpet, it turns on the maximum mode and reverts to the regular mode when the robot is off the carpet providing deep cleaning;
- The Roborock S5 comes equipped with a water tank and mopping cloth to provide wet mopping on hardwood floors.
The Roborock S5 can mop and sweep at the same time
- Obstacle climbing ability has increased from 1.5 cm in the Mi Robot to 2 cm in the Roborock. It matters when it comes to cleaning medium-pile carpets;
- The feature "recharge & resume" allows the device to get back to work after recharging in case the battery runs out and the robot doesn't finish its job. Both can run for about 150 minutes before need to recharge;
- While the Mi Robot is equipped with a regular HEPA filter, the new S5 has a washable one. The washable HEPA lasts longer and is better for people who suffer from asthma or allergies.
- Forget about tangling hair because the new Roborock is designed to prevent motor hair from getting stuck. Not a big deal, but anyone would love to think less about things like this, right? Please note, that hair will be stuck anyway but not as much as in the previous model;
- The omnidirectional pressure sensor helps the Roborock to avoid an area where it bumps with its «head»;
- Although the new generation has more suction power than the Mi Robot, it comes with closed silence cotton and porous air sieve that makes it work quieter, producing only 54-67dB of noise compared with 61-72 dB in the first gen;
- The upgraded smartphone app allows creating zones that should be cleaned, setting block offs (in the Roborock only), and send the robot to the point you want just by tapping on the map on your screen, etc.;
- Both robot cleaners support Alexa-enabled devices and Google Assistant.
Mi Home App
There are three processors inside the newest robot cleaner that track its movement in real-time which you can watch on your smartphone. You can see the robot creating a map in real-time.
You can navigate the device using the new app just by tapping on a specific area you want to clean, and the robot will do the rest, and there is an ability to manage its movements as a radio car manually.
In the Mi Home App, you can track the robot in real-time. Also, you can watch it creating a map
You can create digital block offs as many as you want, so the Roborock will not go through it just by drawing the area you'd like the robot to clean on the map. The feature is excellent precisely because you have the possibility of managing the vacuum when you are away. The Mi Robot supports zoned cleaning only. To wrap it up: the Mi Home app allows you to monitor the cleaning process, schedule the cleaning time whenever you want, even multiple times in a day, create zones to be cleaned, set block offs, choose the name of your new friend and so on.
How the Roborock builds a map
What is the Xiaomi Mi Robot best for?
- Big homes. Thanks to the long-lasting battery and recharge& resume feature, the Xiaomi Mi Robot is perfect for medium and bigger houses.
- Households with a pet and no thick carpets. Since the Mi Robot has strong suction, it is able to get rid of pet hair on carpets that are not thicker than 15 mm and bare floor.
- Laminate, linoleum, tile, hardwood floor. Even though the robot does not mop, it performs great on bare flooring.
- Thin and thicker carpets. If your home is about carpet surface - the Mi Robot is for you. Please note, that thick shaggy carpets are not for the Xiaomi.
- Zoned cleaning helps to clean within a specific area.
- Geeks. If you own Alexa-enabled device or Google Home, you can control the Mi Robot with your voice.
What is the Roborock S5 best for?
- Big homes. The battery and resumption make the Roborock ideal for cleaning in medium and big-sized homes.
- LIDAR helps to save battery life reducing chances of redoing already cleaned areas.
- Pet owners. Thanks to the new design of the cleaning brush, the vacuum perfectly handles carpet cleaning and is easier to clean from pet hair.
- Bare floor cleaning. 150 ml water container and mop cloth work together to provide great performance on any kind of bare flooring.
- Homes with many rooms. Thanks to the restricted areas and zoned cleaning, the Roborock S5 is perfect when you want to clean a certain zone.
- Control the robot by voice is you have Alexa or Google Home.
- Homes with thick carpets. Thanks to the carpet boost, strong suction, and excellent climbing ability, the Roborock S5 performs great on carpets that are up to 20 mm thick.
- Because of a few color options, the Roborock S5 is suitable for different color designs.
Price & Where to Buy
For the price of around $300 and $500, both robot vacuums can compete with twice more expensive robot cleaners.
- You can find the Roborock S50 on Amazon for the best price at
$546($398). Hurry up and get the Roborock S5 at the best price during Prime Day (July 15-16)!
- The Roborock S50 (white) is available to buy on Gearbest where you can get it for around $650.
- You can also buy the newest Roborock S55 on GearBest for $569.35.
- Get the Roborock S5 on GeekBuying for ~$450.
Xiaomi Mi Robot
- The Xiaomi Mi Robot costs $334 on Amazon
- $400 on GearBest which is a great price for this functionality.
- On GeekBuying you can buy the Mi Robot for $329.99.
*Please note that prices on Amazon and Gearbest may change
The Roborock S5 Video Review
The Xiaomi Mi Robot Video Review
Why should you or shouldn't buy the newest model Roborock?
There are reasons to buy the Roborock S5 instead of the previous cheaper vacuum, the Xiaomi Mi Robot, even though both robots are among the best in their price range. The powerful motor of the Roborock provides deeper cleaning on all carpet types (except thick ones) without having an issue with hair tangling (thanks to the tangle-free design). This design makes the latest robovac from Roborock ideal for pet owners.
The Xiaomi Mi Robot also does its job well on carpets even though it has 1,800 Pa of suction power, while its brother has 2,000 Pa. Both robots are equipped with a 5,200 mAh battery that lasts the whole 2.5 hours on a single charge.
Both devices come with the mapping feature and smart navigation system. The Roborock is 2-in-1: sweep and mop, making it perfect for hardwood floors, carpeting, and mixed surfaces. Its older brother, the Mi Robot, can only sweep.
Along with its smart navigation, the newest robot vacuum cleaner has carpet identification that helps the device to recognize a carpet and switch the maximum cleaning mode automatically.
Please note, the Roborock can climb up to 20mm height obstacle which in addition to carpet boost and stronger suction makes it better when it comes to carpet cleaning.
The Xiaomi Mi Robot works well on thin carpets and area rugs which makes it suitable for mixed surfaces.
Buy the Roborock S5 if you...
- Want stronger suction
- Have thick carpets
- Want mopping
- Want the ability to create restricted areas
- Want to spend less time on cleaning the main brush especially if you have pets.
So, if you have some extra money and you want to buy a robot vacuum, consider the Roborock S5 because even though the device is more expensive than the first Xiaomi Mi Robot, it provides better cleaning performance on carpets and can mop.
UPDATE: If you want a robot vacuum that is as powerful as the Roborock, take a look at the newest 360 S6. It has a beautiful design, great build quality, very similar features such as intelligent mapping, strong suction power, wet mopping, etc., yet costs less.
Where to buy
Since English is not our first language, you may notice spelling and grammatical errors in the article. We would be very grateful if you could help us fix the mistakes. Just select the confusing part of the text with your mouse and press Ctrl + Enter, then you will be able to send us a corrected version of the text. Thank you for your effort!
Related Robot Vacuum Comparisons
- Comparing 360 S6 Robot Vacuum vs. Roborock S5
- Comparing the Roborock S5 vs. Viomi V2
- Roborock S50 (White) vs. Roborock T6 Comparison
- Roborock S50 (White) vs. ILIFE A9S Comparison
- Roomba i7+ vs. Roborock S5 Comparison Chart