The iRobot Roomba 980 vs. the Roborock S5 Comparison: Which is Better?
Dec 26, 2017 6 min read
Table of Contents (Jump to)
Today we are going to review top-level models, the Roborock S5 (which is an improved version of the Xiaomi Mi Robot) and the Roomba 980. Both robots are the best-released models by each manufacturer. They both have good cleaning performance and come with an intelligent mapping feature that provides more efficient cleaning. What makes the Roborock S5 and the Roomba 980 similar and what are the differences between them? Are robots smart enough? Let's dive in deeper and see what features each machine is equipped with and why they are among the best on the market.
The Roborock S5 vs. iRobot Roomba 980 comparison chart
|Specifications||Roomba 980||Roborock S5|
|Dimensions||13.8 x 3.6 inches||13.7 x 3.79 inches|
|Weight||8.7 lbs||7.7 lbs|
|Suction power||1,670 Pa||2,000 Pa|
|Working Time||120 min||150 min|
|Cleaning radius||185 m2||250 m2|
|Dust bin capacity||600 ml||500 ml|
|Noise Level||70 dB||60 dB|
|Full Dustbin Indicator||yes||no|
|Filter type||HEPA||Washable HEPA|
|Virtual Wall||yes (physical)||yes (digital)|
|Amazon Alexa/Google Home support||yes||yes|
|Auto recharge & resume||yes||yes|
|Price on Amazon||Check the price||Check the price|
The Roborock S5 is an improved and more intelligent version of the first Xiaomi Mi Robot that has an outstanding reputation on the market. The Roborock S5 has become more effective and fast, has a better suction power and a new soft bumper that decreases a noise level the robot produces. It has a new mopping feature, so now it can sweep and mop at the same time. The new model is equipped with a reusable anti-allergen HEPA filter. It can be washed with water. Thanks to an X-Ray sensor, the robot can detect smaller objects better avoiding collisions. Read more about the robots difference in our Xiaomi Mi Robot vs. Roborock S5 comparison.
Design & Appearance
The device has a beautiful minimalistic design made of high-quality plastiс. The LDS (Laser Distance Sensor) is located on the top of the robot. It rotates and scans a room interior in 360 degrees, creating a map of the room. The Roborock S5 is equipped with 13 sensors: cliff sensors, a collision sensor, drop sensor, dustbin sensor, electronic compass, wall sensor, fan speed sensor, gyroscope, accelerometer, laser distance sensor, speedometer, and an ultrasonic radar sensor. Three powerful processors inside the machine track the robot vacuum's position in real-time and build the most efficient cleaning path. You can see the map in the app, as well as where the robot has been and watch it working in real-time.
Robot vacuums mentioned in the article:
Mi Home smartphone app
The Roborock S5 features
- Battery capacity - 5,200mAh 2-in-1: sweep and mop
- The newest soft bumper provides quiet cleaning
- The E11 grade waterproof washable filter
- Long running time - 2.5 hours in sweeping mode which is equal to cleaning 250 sq. meters of your house
- Can clean for about 50 minutes in the mop mode
- Improved charging base - 180-degree infrared coverage
- Powerful motor provides 2,000 Pa of suction power
- Can climb obstacles up to 0.78inches (2 cm)
- Improved built-in 13 sensors, and the soft bumper help to protect your furniture from collisions
- You can see the map of your house from your smartphone and move your robot to any point just by tapping on the screen
- The Mi Home app allows seeing the device's movements in real-time
- LDS (Laser Distance Sensor) creates a map of your house and builds the most effective cleaning route
- The Roborock resume its job after recharging in case it didn't finish
- You can create digital virtual walls in the app
- You can send the robot to a specific place by tapping to the position on the map
- Smart carpet identification switches the cleaning mode to maximum once the robot recognizes a carpeted surface.
Roborock S5 washable filter
Pros of the Roborock S5
- Mopping feature
- Modern design
- Decent cleaning performance
- Intelligent navigation system with the mapping feature
- Great quality at a reasonable price
- Long battery life
- Strong suction power
- Setting digital walls through the app, so you don't have to block the area physically
- No extra accessories in the box such as side brushes and mop pads
Where to buy the Roborock S5?
- Gearbest offers a good deal on the Roborock S5 for $389.99
- You can buy the Roborock S55 (black color) for $399.99.
- You can find the Roborock S5 robot vacuum cleaner on Amazon with a $549 price tag.
*Please take a note that the prices may change and the coupon codes are limited in time.
Video review of the Roborock S5
The Roomba 980
Roomba is the most famous brand of robot vacuum on the US market. They've been developing robot cleaners for more than 13 years. The iRobot 980 is the newest and most featured device in their model line. For more information, please read our latest Roomba iRobot 980 review.
This model has a stronger suction power compared to its older brothers - iRobot 960, 890 and 860. It cleans pet hair from your carpet with ease using its 3-Stage Cleaning System, 10X more powerful motor, and the newest rubber rollers that are tangle-free.
A camera located on the top detects obstacles in its way, while the intelligent system (visual simultaneous localization and mapping technology) builds the best cleaning route so the robot can easily avoid bumping into furniture. Once it's on the carpet, the suction power automatically increases to gather up more dust.
iRobot 980 route planning
iRobot Roomba 980 features
- It scans your house with a camera and can see all obstacles, building an optimized route to clean your rooms in the most effective way
- Intelligent navigation and path planning
- Dirt detect recognizes the dirtiest areas providing more efficient cleaning
- If the battery runs low and cleaning is not complete, the robot will automatically recharge and continue from the place it stopped until the job is done
- Easily controlled, scheduled and monitored from your smartphone
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant
- Sensors detect the type of floor and automatically adjust suction power
- Tangle-free dual multi-surface brushes handle pet hair with ease
- Increased 10x suction power for deep cleaning of carpeting surfaces
- High-efficiency filter captures up to 99% of allergens and pollen
- Full dustbin indicator alerts when the container needs to be emptied.
Roomba smartphone app
- Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant integration
- Intelligent navigation system
- Extra filter and a brush in the box
- Rubber rollers are perfect for pet owners
- Dustbin indicator shows when the box is full
- Dirt detect ensures deep cleaning in high-traffic areas
- too expensive
Where To Buy the Roomba 980
- Roomba 980 is available with the Amazon Choice label for $699.99 which is a good price considering the fact that this is the top-level model and has all the cleaning performance of Roomba 980.
Roomba iRobot 980 YouTube review
What is the difference: the Roborock S5 vs. the Roomba 980?
- The Roborock has a stronger suction power delivering 2,000 Pa comparing with Roomba's 1,670 Pa.
- The Roomba 980 runs about 120 minutes while the Roborock S5 lasts the whole 150 minutes.
- The Roborock uses a laser to map out an interior. The laser is more accurate than a camera sensor the Roomba is equipped with.
- The S5 bumps into things less than the Roomba (based on consumer reviews). Its navigation system is slightly better.
- The Roborock S5 gets stuck less often than the Roomba 980 (based on consumer reviews) does.
- The S5 comes with mopping, the Roomba 980 only sweeps.
- The Roomba 980 is equipped with a physical dual virtual wall barrier. The Roborock can set digital walls using its app. You can create as many digital walls and blocked zones as you want using the Mi Home app.
- The Roomba 980 has a dirt detect sensor that provides deep cleaning in high-traffic areas.
- The Roomba 980 comes with a full dustbin detection. It informs you when the container needs to be emptied through a notification in the app.
- You cannot interact with the Roomba 980's map. It works as a report of cleaning. On the plan created by the Roborock, you can set a blocked area and send the robot to a specific point using the Targeted Point option.
- Because of the laser, the Roborock S5 can work in the dark.
- The Roomba 980 is equipped with rubber tangle-free rollers that are easy to maintain. These are perfect for pet hair because they don't cause hair wrapping. The Roborock has a tangle-free design but its not as efficient as Roomba's silicone brushes when it comes to hair tangling.
- The S5 is available in three colors: white, black and rose gold. The Roomba 980 has only one color option.
- On Amazon, the Roborock S5 costs almost $200 less than the Roomba 980. On Gearbest you can get the Roborock at nearly half the Roomba's price.
- You can tap on the map, and the Roborock will go to that spot. Roomba's app doesn't allow to manage the robot movements.
- The Roborock is less noisy than the Roomba 980.
- The Roborock S5 carries a cleaning tool under the lid. You always know where it is.
Final thoughts: Which one is better?
Both robotics have useful features and similar functions. In our opinion, the newest Roborock S5 is a better choice with a lower price. You can buy a robot vacuum with more features than the more expensive devices. It is equipped with new technologies, costs less, has more powerful suction and a longer-lasting battery, works quietly, has a washable filter, covers more on one charge, and can sweep and mop at the same time. But if you want a more trusted and proven brand — Roomba iRobot 980 is your choice, and it offers some features the Roborock doesn't have.
UPDATE: If you want a robot vacuum that is as powerful as the Roborock or the Roomba 980, take a look at the 360 S6 review. This fantastic robot costs cheaper than the Roborock S5 (and twice less expensive than the Roomba 980), but still has very similar features as the S5 does, such as intelligent mapping technology, strong suction power, wet mopping, etc.