Roomba 980 vs. Xiaomi Roborock Second Generation Comparison: Which One is Better?
Dec 26, 2017 4 min read
Table of Contents (Jump to)
Today we are going to review top-level models Xiaomi 2nd Gen Roborock and Roomba 980. Both robots are the best that each manufacturer has released. They both have good cleaning performance, both come with an intelligent mapping feature that provides more efficient cleaning. What makes Roborock and Roomba 980 similar and what are the differences between them? Are the robots smart enough? Let's dive deeper and see what features each machine is equipped with and why they are one of the best on the market.
Xiaomi Roborock 2 vs. Roomba iRobot 980 comparison chart
|Specifications||Roomba 980||Xiaomi Roborock 2|
|Dimensions||13.8 x 3.6 inches||13.7 x 3.79 inches|
|Weight||8.7 lbs||7.7 lbs|
|Suction power||1,670 Pa||2,000 Pa|
|Working Time||120 min||250 min|
|Cleaning radius||185 m2||250 m2|
|Dust bin capacity||600 ml||500 ml|
|Noise Level||70 db||60 db|
|Amazon Alexa support||yes||limited Alexa support|
Xiaomi MiJia Roborock S50 (Second generation)
Roborock S50 is an improved and more intelligent version of the first generation Xiaomi Mi Robot which has a very good reputation on the market. The second generation became more effective and fast, has a better suction power, and a new soft bumber. It has a new mopping feature, now it can sweep and mop at the same time. The new model is also equipped with a reusable anti-allergen HEPA filter, so you can just wash it with the water. Now thanks to an X-Ray sensor, the robot can detect smaller objects better. Read more about the differences in our Mi Robot vs. Roborock comparison.
Design & Appearance
It has a nice minimalistic design made of high-quality plastiс. On the top of the robot located the LDS (Laser Distance Sensor) that rotates and scan your interior in 360 degrees creating a map of the room. Xiaomi Roborock is equipped with 13 sensors: it has cliff sensors, a collision sensor, drop sensor, dustbin sensor, electronic compass, wall sensor, fan speed sensor, gyroscope, accelerometer, laser distance sensor, speedometer and an ultrasonic radar sensor. Three powerful processors inside the machine track the robot vacuum's position in real-time and build a most efficient cleaning path.
MiJia smartphone app
- Battery capacity - 5200mAh
- 2-in-1: sweep and mop
- The newest soft bumper provides quite cleaning
- The E11 grade waterproof washable filter
- Long running time - 2.5 hours in the sweep mode which is equal to cleaning the 250 sq. meters of your house
- Can clean for about 50 minutes in the mop mode
- Improved charging base - 180-degree infrared coverage
- Powerful motor provides 2000Pa of suction power
- Can climb obstacles up to 0.78inches (2cm)
- Improved built-in 13 sensors and the soft bumper help to protect your furniture from any collisions
- You can see the map of your house from your smartphone and move your robot to any point just by tapping on the screen
- Also, the MiJia app allows seeing the device's movements in real-time
- LDS (Laser Distance Sensor) creates a map of your house and builds the most effective route of cleaning
- Roborock resume its job after recharging in case it didn't finish its job
Xiaomi Roborock 2 washable filter
Pros of Xiaomi Roborock
- Mopping feature
- Modern design
- Decent cleaning performance
- Intelligent navigation system with the mapping feature
- Great quality for a reasonable price
- No extra accessories in the box such as side brushes and mop pads
Where to buy Xiaomi Roborock?
Gearbest offers a good deal on Xiaomi Roborock. The robot in white color will cost $439.99 with the coupon code GB100-$20off- ($100 off).
You can buy the robot vacuum cleaner in a rose gold color for $459.99.
Also, you can find the 2nd Generation Xiaomi robot vacuum cleaner on Amazon with a $533.99 price tag.
*Please take a note that the prices may change and the coupon codes are limited in time.
Video review of Xiaomi MiJia Roborock
Roomba iRobot 980
Roomba is the most famous brand of robot vacuums on the US market. They've been developing robovacs for more than 13 years. iRobot 980 is the newest and the most featured device in their model's line. For more information please read our latest Roomba iRobot 980 review.
This model has better suction power compared to its older brothers - iRobot 960, 890 and 860. It cleans pet hairs from your carpet with ease using its 3-Stage Cleaning System, 10X more powerful motor, and the newest rubber rollers. A camera that located on the top detects obstacles on its way, an intelligent system (visual simultaneous localization and mapping technology) builds the best cleaning route so the robot can easily avoid the collision without bumping into your furniture. Once it's on the carpet, suction power automatically increases to gather up more dust.
iRobot 980 route planning
iRoomba 980 features
- It scans your house with a camera and can see all the obstacles on the way building an optimized route to clean your rooms in a most effective way
- Intelligent navigation and path planning
- If the battery runs low and cleaning is not completed, the robot will automatically recharge and continue from the place it stopped until the job is finished
- Can be easily controlled, scheduled and monitored from your smartphone
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa or the Google Assistant
- It has sensors that detect a type of floor and automatically adjusts suction power
- Tangle-free dual multi-surface brushes handle pet hair with ease
- Increased 10x suction power for deep cleaning carpeting surface
- High-efficiency filter captures up to 99% of allergens and pollen
Roomba smartphone app
- Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant integration
- Intelligent navigation system
- Extra filter and a brush in the box
- too expensive
Where To Buy Roomba 980
- Roomba 980 is available with the Amazon Choice label for $799.99 which is a good price consider the fact that this is the top-level model and all the cleaning performance Roomba 980 has.
Roomba iRobot 980 YouTube review
Final thoughts: Which one is better?
Both robovacs are good featured and have similar functions. In our opinion, second generation Xiaomi Roborock is a better choice with the twice lower price, you can buy a robot vacuum that has more features than more expensive devices. It's equipped with new technologies, it costs less, has more powerful suction, longer working time, works quiet, has a washable filter, covers more when cleaning and can sweep and mop at the same time. But if you want more trusted and proven brand or you want to control the robot by Amazon Alexa — Roomba iRobot 980 is your choice.
Get $100 off for a powerful robot vacuum Xiaomi Roborock with the coupon code GB100-$20off-
WHERE TO BUY
- ECOVACS DEEBOT Robot Vacuums With Mapping And Path Planning: Model Comparison Chart
- ECOVACS CEN540-LG vs DG801 vs DE33 Comparison
- Best Budget Robot Vacuum Cleaners That Are Compatible With Amazon Alexa And Google Assistant
- What Is The Difference: Xiaowa Lite vs Xiaowa Route Planning Version
- The Best Robot Mops To Buy In 2018
Found some spelling or grammatical error? Please help us to fix it!
Since English is not our first language, you may notice spelling and grammatical errors in the article. We would be very grateful if you could help us to fix the mistakes. Just select the confusing part of the text with your mouse and press Ctrl + Enter, then you will be able to send us a corrected version of the text. Thank you for your effort!
Array ( [thread] => resource-51 [name] => [email] => )