Roomba 980 vs. Xiaomi Roborock Second Generation Comparison: Which is Better?
Dec 26, 2017 4 min read
Table of Contents (Jump to)
Today we are going to review top-level models, Xiaomi 2nd Gen Roborock and Roomba 980. Both robots are the best released by each manufacturer. They both have good cleaning performance and come with an intelligent mapping feature that provides more efficient cleaning. What makes Roborock and Roomba 980 similar and what are the differences between them? Are the robots smart enough? Let's dive in deeper and see what features each machine is equipped with and why they are among the best on the market.
Xiaomi Roborock 2 vs. Roomba iRobot 980 comparison chart
|Specifications||Roomba 980||Xiaomi Roborock 2|
|Dimensions||13.8 x 3.6 inches||13.7 x 3.79 inches|
|Weight||8.7 lbs||7.7 lbs|
|Suction power||1,670 Pa||2,000 Pa|
|Working Time||120 min||250 min|
|Cleaning radius||185 m2||250 m2|
|Dust bin capacity||600 ml||500 ml|
|Noise Level||70 db||60 db|
|Amazon Alexa support||yes||limited Alexa support|
|Price on Amazon||Check the price||Check the price|
Xiaomi MiJia Roborock (Second generation)
Roborock S50 is an improved and more intelligent version of the first generation Xiaomi Mi Robot which has a very good reputation on the market. The second generation has become more effective and fast, has better suction power and a new soft bumper. It has a new mopping feature, so now it can sweep and mop at the same time. The new model is also equipped with a reusable anti-allergen HEPA filter-- you just wash it with water. Thanks to an X-Ray sensor, the robot can detect smaller objects better. Read more about the differences in our Mi Robot vs. Roborock comparison.
Design & Appearance
The device has a nice minimalistic design made of high-quality plastiс. Located on the top of the robot is the LDS (Laser Distance Sensor) that rotates and scans your interior in 360 degrees, creating a map of the room. The Xiaomi Roborock is equipped with 13 sensors: cliff sensors, a collision sensor, drop sensor, dustbin sensor, electronic compass, wall sensor, fan speed sensor, gyroscope, accelerometer, laser distance sensor, speedometer, and an ultrasonic radar sensor. Three powerful processors inside the machine track the robot vacuum's position in real-time and build the most efficient cleaning path.
MiJia smartphone app
- Battery capacity - 5200mAh 2-in-1: sweep and mop
- The newest soft bumper provides quiet cleaning
- The E11 grade waterproof washable filter
- Long running time - 2.5 hours in sweep mode which is equal to cleaning 250 sq. meters of your house
- Can clean for about 50 minutes in mop mode
- Improved charging base - 180-degree infrared coverage
- Powerful motor provides 2000Pa of suction power
- Can climb obstacles up to 0.78inches (2cm)
- Improved built-in 13 sensors, and the soft bumper help to protect your furniture from collisions
- You can see the map of your house from your smartphone and move your robot to any point just by tapping on the screen
- The MiJia app allows seeing the device's movements in real-time
- LDS (Laser Distance Sensor) creates a map of your house and builds the most effective cleaning route
- Roborock resume its job after recharging in case it didn't finish
Xiaomi Roborock 2 washable filter
Pros of Xiaomi Roborock
- Mopping feature
- Modern design
- Decent cleaning performance
- Intelligent navigation system with the mapping feature
- Great quality at a reasonable price
- No extra accessories in the box such as side brushes and mop pads
Where to buy Xiaomi Roborock?
- Gearbest offers a good deal on Xiaomi Roborock. Use the coupon code **IT$APRBS ** and get the robot for $419.99. Hurry up, the code is valid until July, 30.
- You can buy the robot vacuum cleaner in rose gold for $550.99.
- You can find the 2nd Generation Xiaomi robot vacuum cleaner on Amazon with a $549 price tag.
*Please take a note that the prices may change and the coupon codes are limited in time.
Video review of Xiaomi MiJia Roborock
Roomba iRobot 980
Roomba is the most famous brand of robot vacuum on the US market. They've been developing robovacs for more than 13 years. iRobot 980 is the newest and most featured device in their model line. For more information, please read our latest Roomba iRobot 980 review.
This model has better suction power compared to its older brothers - iRobot 960, 890 and 860. It cleans pet hair from your carpet with ease using its 3-Stage Cleaning System, 10X more powerful motor, and the newest rubber rollers.
A camera located on the top detects obstacles in its way, while the intelligent system (visual simultaneous localization and mapping technology) builds the best cleaning route so the robot can easily avoid bumping into furniture. Once it's on the carpet, the suction power automatically increases to gather up more dust.
iRobot 980 route planning
iRobot Roomba 980 features
- It scans your house with a camera and can see all obstacles, building an optimized route to clean your rooms in the most effective way
- Intelligent navigation and path planning
- If the battery runs low and cleaning is not complete, the robot will automatically recharge and continue from the place it stopped until the job is done
- Easily controlled, scheduled and monitored from your smartphone
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant
- Sensors detect the type of floor and automatically adjust suction power
- Tangle-free dual multi-surface brushes handle pet hair with ease
- Increased 10x suction power for deep cleaning of carpeting surfaces
- High-efficiency filter captures up to 99% of allergens and pollen
Roomba smartphone app
- Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant integration
- Intelligent navigation system
- Extra filter and a brush in the box
- too expensive
Where To Buy Roomba 980
- Roomba 980 is available with the Amazon Choice label for $736.65 which is a good price considering the fact that this is the top-level model and has all the cleaning performance of Roomba 980.
Roomba iRobot 980 YouTube review
Final thoughts: Which is better?
Both robovacs have good features and similar functions. In our opinion, the second generation Xiaomi Roborock is a better choice with a twice lower price. You can buy a robot vacuum with more features than the more expensive devices. It is equipped with new technologies, costs less, has more powerful suction and a longer working time, works quietly, has a washable filter, covers more when cleaning, and can sweep and mop at the same time. But if you want a more trusted and proven brand or you want to control the robot by Amazon Alexa — Roomba iRobot 980 is your choice.
WHERE TO BUY
Share with friends:
- ECOVACS Deebot R95 vs Neato Botvac Connected Comparison Guide
- Proscenic 790T vs Roomba 690 Comparison: The Best Rated Robot Vacuums on Amazon
- Xiaomi Xiaowa Review: an Affordable Robot Vacuum With Strong Suction
- What Is a Robot Vacuum Cleaner & Why You Should Buy It?
- Shark Ion 750 vs Roomba 690
Found some spelling or grammatical error? Please help us to fix it!
Since English is not our first language, you may notice spelling and grammatical errors in the article. We would be very grateful if you could help us fix the mistakes. Just select the confusing part of the text with your mouse and press Ctrl + Enter, then you will be able to send us a corrected version of the text. Thank you for your effort!