The iRobot Roomba 980 vs. the Roborock S5 Comparison: Which is Better?
|Robot vacuums mentioned in the article|
|Roborock S50 (White)||$569.98|
|iRobot Roomba 980||$809.49||BUY NOW|
Table of Contents
- The Roborock S5 vs. iRobot Roomba 980 comparison chart
- What is the difference: the Roborock S5 vs. the Roomba 980?
- Which one is better: the Roborock S5 or Roomba 980?
Today we are going to review top-level models, the Roborock S5 (which is an improved version of the Xiaomi Mi Robot) and the Roomba 980. Both robots are the best-released models by each manufacturer. They both have good cleaning performance and come with an intelligent mapping feature that provides more efficient cleaning. What makes the Roborock S5 and the Roomba 980 similar and what are the differences between them? Are robots smart enough? Let's dive in deeper and see what features each machine is equipped with and why they are among the best on the market.
The Roborock S5 vs. iRobot Roomba 980 comparison chart
|Specifications||Roomba 980||Roborock S5|
|Dimensions||13.8 x 3.6 inches||13.7 x 3.79 inches|
|Weight||8.7 lbs||7.7 lbs|
|Suction power||1,670 Pa||2,000 Pa|
|Working Time||120 min||150 min|
|Cleaning radius||185 m2||250 m2|
|Dust bin capacity||600 ml||500 ml|
|Noise Level||70 dB||60 dB|
|Manual drive control||no||yes|
|Full Dustbin Indicator||yes||no|
|Filter type||HEPA||Washable HEPA|
|Virtual Wall||yes (physical)||yes (digital)|
|Holds a created map in memory||no||yes|
|Can work in the dark||no||yes|
|Can clean dark carpets||no||yes|
|Amazon Alexa / Google Home support||yes||yes|
|Auto recharge & resume||yes||yes|
|Price on Amazon||Check the price||Check the price|
The Roborock S5 is the next version of the first Xiaomi Mi Robot that has an outstanding reputation on the market. The Roborock S5 has become more efficient and fast, has a stronger suction power and a new soft bumper that decreases noise level the robot produces. It has a new mopping feature, so now it can sweep and mop at the same time. The new model is equipped with a reusable anti-allergen HEPA filter. It can be washed with water. Thanks to an X-Ray sensor, the robot can detect smaller objects better avoiding collisions. Read more about the robots difference in our Xiaomi Mi Robot vs. Roborock S5 comparison.
The device has a beautiful minimalistic design made of high-quality plastiс. The LDS (Laser Distance Sensor) is located on the top of the robot. It rotates and scans a room interior in 360 degrees, creating a map of the room. The Roborock S5 is equipped with 13 sensors: cliff sensors, a collision sensor, drop sensor, dustbin sensor, electronic compass, wall sensor, fan speed sensor, gyroscope, accelerometer, laser distance sensor, speedometer, and an ultrasonic radar sensor. Three powerful processors inside the machine track the robot vacuum's position in real-time and build the most efficient cleaning path. You can see the map in the app, as well as where the robot has been and watch it working in real-time.
To make the cleaner working in a specific zone, draw a rectangle on a created map. If you don't want the Roborock to cross some rooms, set a block off area using the Mi Home app.
The Roborock S5 is equipped with the longest-lasting battery in the industry. It makes the robot ideal for big homes.
Robot vacuums mentioned in the article:
Mi Home smartphone app
The Roborock S5 features
- Battery capacity of 5,200 mAh
- It can do both: sweep and mop
- The newest soft bumper provides quiet cleaning
- The E11 grade waterproof washable filter
- Long running time - 2.5 hours in sweeping mode which is equal to cleaning 250 sq. meters of your house
- Can clean for about 50 minutes in the mop mode until the 100 ml water tank gets empty
- When its dust container gets full, the Roborock S5 stops cleaning
- Improved charging base - 180-degree infrared coverage
- Powerful motor provides 2,000 Pa of suction power
- Can climb obstacles up to 0.78 inches (2 cm)
- Improved built-in 13 sensors, and the soft bumper help to protect your furniture from collisions
- Supports Alexa-enabled devices and Google Assistant
- You can see the map of your house from your smartphone and move your robot to any point just by tapping on the screen
- The Mi Home app allows seeing the device's movements in real-time
- LDS (Laser Distance Sensor) creates a map of your house and builds the most effective cleaning route
- The Roborock resume cleaning after recharging in case it didn't finish
- You can create block offs and zones to be cleaned in the app
- You can send the robot to a specific place by tapping to the position on the map and manualy manage its movements as a radio car
- Smart carpet identification switches the cleaning mode to maximum once the robot recognizes carpet flooring
- Washable HEPA filter lasts longer and is ideal for people with allergy.
Roborock S5 washable filter
Pros of the Roborock S5
- Can sweep and mop
- Minimalist design
- Decent cleaning performance
- Intelligent navigation system with LIDAR-based mapping
- Great performance on bare floor, thin and medium-pile carpets
- Long battery life
- Strong suction power
- The app allows setting digital walls through the app, so you don't have to block the area physically
- In the Mi Home you can clean zones you want the Roborock S5 to clean
- No extra accessories in the box such as side brushes and mop pads
Video review of the Roborock S5
Where to buy the Roborock S5?
- Gearbest offers a good deal on the Roborock S5 for $459.99
- You can buy the Roborock S55 (black color) for $569.35.
- You can find the Roborock S5 robot vacuum cleaner on Amazon with a $549 price tag.
*Please take a note that the prices may change and the coupon codes are limited in time.
The Roomba 980
Roomba is the most famous brand of robot vacuums on the US market. The iRobot 980 is the newest and most featured device in their model line. For more information, please read our latest Roomba iRobot 980 review.
[Update January 2019] iRobot released the newest Roomba i7 robot with a self-cleaning charging base.
This model has stronger suction power compared to its older brothers - iRobot 960, 890 and 860. It cleans pet hair from your carpet with ease using its 3-Stage Cleaning System, 10X more powerful motor, and the newest rubber rollers that are tangle-free. Because of these rubber rollers, the Roomba 980 is perfect for pet hair. The brushes require minimum maintenance.
A camera located on the top detects obstacles in its way, while the intelligent system (visual simultaneous localization and mapping technology) builds the best cleaning route so the robot can easily avoid bumping into furniture. Once it's on the carpet, the suction power automatically increases to gather up more dust.
The dirt detect recognizes the most high-traffic areas making the Roomba 980 clean those sposts more carefully.
The full bin indicator alerts when you need to clean the container. You will be aware of it through your smartphone.
iRobot 980 route planning
iRobot Roomba 980 features
- It scans your house with a camera and can see all obstacles, building an optimized route to clean your rooms in the most effective way
- Intelligent navigation and path planning
- Dirt detect recognizes the dirtiest areas providing more efficient cleaning
- If the battery runs low and cleaning is not complete, the robot will automatically recharge and continue from the place it stopped until the job is done
- Easily controlled, scheduled and monitored from your smartphone
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant
- Sensors detect the type of floor and automatically adjust suction power once the robot is on carpet
- Tangle-free dual multi-surface brushes are suberb when it comes to picking up pet hair
- High-efficiency filter captures up to 99% of allergens and pollen
- Full dustbin indicator alerts when the container needs to be emptied.
Roomba smartphone app
- Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant integration
- Intelligent navigation system
- Extra filter and brush in the box
- Rubber rollers are perfect for pet owners
- Dustbin indicator shows when the box is full
- Dirt detect ensures deep cleaning in high-traffic areas
- Great perfomance on bare floor and thin/medium-pile carpets
- too expensive
Roomba iRobot 980 YouTube review
Where To Buy the Roomba 980
- Roomba 980 is available with the Amazon Choice label for $699.99 which is a good price considering the fact that this is one of the flagship models.
What is the difference: the Roborock S5 vs. the Roomba 980?
- The Roborock has a stronger suction power delivering 2,000 Pa comparing with Roomba's 1,670 Pa.
- The Roomba 980 runs about 120 minutes while the Roborock S5 lasts the whole 150 minutes.
- The Roborock uses a laser to map out an interior. The laser is more accurate than a camera sensor the Roomba is equipped with.
- The S5 bumps into things less than the Roomba (based on consumer reviews). Its navigation system is slightly better.
- The Roborock S5 gets stuck less often than the Roomba 980 (based on consumer reviews) does.
- The S5 comes with mopping, the Roomba 980 only sweeps.
- The Roomba 980 is equipped with a physical dual virtual wall barrier. With the Roborock you can set digital walls using its app. You can create as many digital walls and blocked zones as you want using your smartphone.
- The Roomba 980 has a dirt detect sensor that provides deep cleaning in high-traffic areas.
- The Roomba 980 comes with a full dustbin detection. It informs you when the container needs to be emptied through a notification in the app.
- You cannot interact with the Roomba 980's map. It works as a report of cleaning. On the plan created by the Roborock, you can set a blocked area, cleaning zone, and send the robot to a specific point using the Targeted Point option.
- Because of the laser, the Roborock S5 can work in the dark.
- The Roomba 980 is equipped with rubber tangle-free rollers that are easy to maintain. These brushes are perfect for pet hair because they don't cause hair wrapping. The Roborock has a tangle-free design but its not as efficient as Roomba's silicone brushes when it comes to hair tangling.
- The S5 is available in three colors: white, black and rose gold. The Roomba 980 has only one color option.
- On Amazon, the Roborock S5 costs almost $200 less than the Roomba 980. On Gearbest you can get the Roborock at nearly half the Roomba's price.
- You can tap on the map, and the Roborock will go to that spot and you can drive it as a radio car. Roomba's app doesn't allow to manage the robot movements.
- The Roborock is less noisy than the Roomba 980.
- The Roborock S5 carries a cleaning tool under the lid. You always know where it is.
- The Roborock S5 dustbin is washable; the Roomba 980 is equipped with a container that only can be emptied.
- The Roborock S5 saves a created map; the Roomba 980 does not.
Which one is better: the Roborock S5 or Roomba 980?
Both robot vacuums have useful features and similar functions. In our opinion, the newest Roborock S5 is a better choice with a lower price. It is equipped with new technologies, costs less, has more powerful suction and a longer-lasting battery, works quietly, has a washable HEPA filter, covers more on one charge, and can sweep and mop at the same time. But if you want a more trusted and proven brand — Roomba iRobot 980 is your choice, and it offers some features the Roborock S5 doesn't have.
UPDATE: If you want a robot vacuum that is as powerful as the Roborock or the Roomba 980, take a look at the 360 S6 review. This fantastic robot costs less than the Roborock S5 (and twice less expensive than the Roomba 980), but still has very similar features as the S5 does, such as intelligent mapping technology, strong suction power, wet mopping, etc.
Where to buy
Found some spelling or grammatical error? Please help us to fix it!
Since English is not our first language, you may notice spelling and grammatical errors in the article. We would be very grateful if you could help us fix the mistakes. Just select the confusing part of the text with your mouse and press Ctrl + Enter, then you will be able to send us a corrected version of the text. Thank you for your effort!
Related Robot Vacuum Comparisons
- Compare iRobot Roomba 980 vs. Neato Botvac D85
- ECOVACS Deebot R95 vs. iRobot Roomba 980 Comparison
- Comparing LIECTROUX B6009 vs. Roborock S50 (White)
- Compare LIECTROUX B3000PLUS vs. Roborock S50 (White)
- iRobot Roomba 890 vs. iRobot Roomba 980 Comparison
- 12 Best Robot Vacuum Cleaners of 2019 For Different Cleaning Needs
- Top 5 Best-Rated Robot Vacuum Cleaners of 2019
- Can the Roomba 690 beat the Roomba 960? Comparison Chart
- Can the Roborock Xiaowa be the Roomba 690 Alternative?
- What Is the Difference Between the Roborock S5, Roborock Xiaowa Lite, Roborock Xiaowa E2/E3, and Xiaomi Mi Robot