The iRobot Roomba 980 vs. the Roborock S5 Comparison: Which is Better?
|Robot vacuums mentioned in the article|
|iRobot Roomba 980||$877.85||BUY NOW|
Table of Contents
- Roborock S5 vs. iRobot Roomba 980 comparison chart
- Roborock S5 the main features
- iRobot Roomba 980 features
- What are the differences: the Roborock S5 vs. Roomba 980?
- Which one is better: the Roborock S5 or Roomba 980?
Today we are going to review top-level models, the Roborock S5 (which is an improved version of the Xiaomi Mi Robot) and the Roomba 980. Both robots are the best-released models by each manufacturer. They both have good cleaning performance and come with an intelligent mapping feature that provides more efficient cleaning. What makes the Roborock S5 and the Roomba 980 similar and what are the differences between them? Are these robots smart enough? Let's dive in deeper and see what features each machine is equipped with and why they are among the best on the market.
Roborock S5 vs. iRobot Roomba 980 comparison chart
|Specifications||Roomba 980||Roborock S5|
|Dimensions||13.8 x 3.6 in||13.7 x 3.79 in|
|Weight||8.7 lbs||7.7 lbs|
|Suction power||1,670 Pa||2,000 Pa|
|Working Time||120 min||150 min|
|Cleaning radius||185 m2||250 m2|
|Dust bin capacity||600 ml||500 ml|
|Noise Level||70 dB||60 dB|
|Manual drive control||no||yes|
|Full Dustbin Indicator||yes||no|
|Filter type||HEPA||Washable HEPA|
|Virtual Wall||yes (physical)||yes (digital)|
|Holds a created map in memory||no||yes|
|Can work in the dark||no||yes|
|Amazon Alexa / Google Home support||yes||yes|
|Auto recharge & resume||yes||yes|
|Price||Amazon||Amazon / GearBest / GeekBuying|
The Roborock S5 is the next version of the first Xiaomi Mi Robot that has an outstanding reputation on the market. The Roborock S5 has become more efficient and fast, has a stronger suction power and a new soft bumper that decreases noise level the robot produces. It has a new mopping feature, so now it can sweep and mop at the same time. The new model is equipped with a reusable anti-allergen HEPA filter. It can be washed with water. Thanks to an X-Ray sensor, the robot can detect smaller objects better avoiding collisions. Read more about the robots difference in our Xiaomi Mi Robot vs. Roborock S5 comparison.
Roborock S5 the main features
- LIDAR mapping technology: The robot is equipped with the LDS laser that scans the surroundings to create a map of an interior. It does not need a light to be on when the robot is cleaning. Thanks to the three processors inside, you can track the device movements in real-time
- Customize where to clean: in the Mi Home app, you can create restricted areas and set zoned cleaning to make the vacuum clean within a certain zone or not go to a particular area
- Control it manually: in the Mi Home, you can control the Roborock's movements like a radio car
- Mopping: the Roborock S5 has a 150 ml water tank and mop cloth to mop bare flooring
- Washable HEPA: the filter can be washed with water
- Strong suction: the Roborock S5 delivers 2,000 Pa of suction power
- The longest-lasting battery: a 5,200 mAh battery provides 150 minutes of cleaning before needs to recharge. It is equal to cleaning 250 sq. meters of your house
- Carpet identification: the S5 has a bunch of sensors that provide deeper cleaning on carpets once the robot recognizes carpeted surface
- Noise level: even though the Roborock S5 has strong suction, it makes less noise than the Roomba 980.
The device has a beautiful minimalistic design made of high-quality plastiс. The LDS (Laser Distance Sensor) is located on the top of the robot. It rotates and scans a room interior in 360 degrees, creating a map of the room. The Roborock S5 is equipped with 13 sensors: cliff sensors, a collision sensor, drop sensor, dustbin sensor, electronic compass, wall sensor, fan speed sensor, gyroscope, accelerometer, laser distance sensor, speedometer, and an ultrasonic radar sensor. Three powerful processors inside the machine track the robot vacuum's position in real-time and build the most efficient cleaning path. You can see the map in the app, as well as where the robot has been and watch it working in real-time.
The cleaner has a prowerful motor that delivers 2,000 Pa of suction which is the strongest in the industry. Even though, the S5 has strong suction, it is also equipped with a cotton sieve that decreases the noise level that is produced by the Roborock.
The robot has a water container and mop cloth for mopping. In this mode, it works for abour 40-50 minutes before the tank gets dry.
Set a cleaning zone inside the Mi Home app to make the Roborock S5 clean within it
To make the cleaner working in a specific zone, draw a rectangle on a created map. If you don't want the Roborock to cross some rooms, set a block off area using the Mi Home app.
The Roborock S5 is equipped with the longest-lasting 5,200 mAh li-ion battery in the industry. Recharge & resume and long battery life make the robot ideal for big homes.
The dustbin is on the smallest size, it is highly recommended to clean it after every cleaning. When the box gets full, the Roborock stops moving.
The Roborock S5 is compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
Great climbing ability of 20 mm, strong suction and carpet identification work together to provide exellent clenaing performance on carpet flooring.
Robot vacuums mentioned in the article:
Mi Home smartphone app
Roborock S5 washable filter
Why is the Roborock S5 better than the Roomba 980?
- You can track the Roborock in real-time, watch it creating a map, know it's location.
- In the Mi Home app, you can set restricted areas, block off lines, create zoned cleaning.
- The Roborock S5 also can mop, not only sweep.
- The Roborock lasts 30 minutes longer.
- The S5 can work in the dark.
- It has stronger suction power than the Roomba.
- The Roborock S5 can be controlled by the app like a radio car.
- It has a washable HEPA filter.
- The S5 saves one map after finishing the job. The Roomba maps disappear once the robot ends cleaning.
- Price. The Roborock is half of the Roomba 980 price.
Pros of the Roborock S5
- Can sweep and mop
- Minimalist design
- Decent cleaning performance on both: bare and carpet flooring
- Intelligent navigation system with LIDAR-based mapping
- Long battery life
- Strong suction power
- The app allows setting digital walls, so you don't have to block the area physically
- In the Mi Home you can clean zones you want the Roborock S5 to clean
- No extra accessories in the box.
Video review of the Roborock S5
Where to buy the Roborock S5?
- Gearbest offers a good deal on the Roborock S5 for $650.99
- You can buy the Roborock S55 (black color) for $569.35.
- You can find the Roborock S5 robot vacuum cleaner on Amazon with a $549 price tag.
- Get the Roborock S5 on GeekBuying for ~$440.
*Please take note that the prices may change and the coupon codes are limited in time.
Roomba is the most famous brand of robot vacuums on the US market. The iRobot 980 is the newest and most featured device in their model line. For more information, please read our latest Roomba iRobot 980 review.
[Update January 2019] iRobot released the newest Roomba i7 robot with a self-cleaning charging base.
This model has stronger suction power compared to its older brothers - iRobot 960, 890 and 860. It cleans pet hair from your carpet with ease using its 3-Stage Cleaning System, 10X more powerful motor, and the newest rubber rollers that are tangle-free. Because of these rubber rollers, the Roomba 980 is perfect for pet hair. The brushes require minimum maintenance.
iRobot Roomba 980 features
- Dirt Detect. The Roomba 980 has a bunch of sensors that recognize the most high-traffic areas to provide deeper cleaning on these spots
- Camera-based mapping. A camera sensor that is located on top scans your house to see all the obstacles and create a map of the cleaning area
- Dual virtual wall barrier. The robot has a virtual wall barrier in the box that creates an area that the vacuum will not cross
- Brushless design. Double-rotating silicone rollers are tangle-free and are perfect for pet hair
- HEPA filter. The Roomba 980 comes with a HEPA filter inside
- Full dustbin indicator. This indicator shows when the dirtbox gets full so you always know when it needs to be emptied
- Carpet identification. The sensors detect the type of floor and automatically adjust suction power once the robot is on carpet.
A camera located on the top detects obstacles in its way, while the intelligent system (visual simultaneous localization and mapping technology) builds the best cleaning route so the robot can easily avoid bumping into furniture. Once it's on the carpet, the suction power automatically increases to gather up more dust.
The iRobot Roomba 980 is based on a camera sensor that scans your cleaning area to create a map. The vSLAM navigation requires light to provide better performance
The dirt detect recognizes the most high-traffic areas making the Roomba 980 clean those sposts more carefully.
The full bin indicator alerts when you need to clean the container. You will be aware of it through your smartphone.
The Roomba 980 is suitable for homes with carpets mostly. It has a 20 mm barrier cross height, strong suction that delivers 1,700 Pa of air power and carpet identification which work together to provide deeper cleaning on carpets.
The silicone brushless rollers are perfect for pet hair
iRobot 980 route planning
Roomba smartphone app
Why is the Roomba 980 better than the Roborock S5?
- The Roomba 980 comes equipped with a dirt detect. This feature helps the robot to recognize where high-traffic areas are to provide deeper cleaning on those spots.
- The Roomba 980 has a full dustbin indicator. You are always aware when the container gets full and has to be emptied.
- The Roomba 980 has dual-rotating brushless-free rollers. These things are maintenance-free and are perfect for pet hair.
- The Roomba 980 is easy to connect to Wi-Fi.
- The Roomba 980 has a bigger dustbin than the Roborock.
- Because of its tower with the LDS laser inside, the Roborock is a bit taller than the Roomba. The Roomba body allows it to get under most of furniture.
- Roomba is a well-known brand.
- Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant integration
- Intelligent navigation system
- Extra parts in the box
- Silicone rollers are perfect for pet owners
- Dustbin indicator shows when the box is full
- Dirt detect ensures deep cleaning in high-traffic areas
- Great perfomance on bare floor and carpets up to 20 mm thick.
- Too expensive
- The map disappears after every cleaning.
Roomba iRobot 980 YouTube review
Where To Buy the Roomba 980
- Roomba 980 is available with the Amazon Choice label for $699.99 which is a good price considering the fact that this is one of the flagship models.
What are the differences: the Roborock S5 vs. Roomba 980?
- Suction. The Roborock has a stronger suction power delivering 2,000 Pa comparing with Roomba's 1,670 Pa.
- Battery life. The Roomba 980 runs about 120 minutes while the Roborock S5 lasts the whole 150 minutes.
- Laser vs. camera. The Roborock uses a laser to map out an interior. The laser is more accurate than a camera sensor the Roomba is equipped with.
- Navigation. The S5 bumps into things less than the Roomba (based on consumer reviews). Its navigation system is slightly better.
- The Roborock S5 gets stuck less often than the Roomba 980 (based on consumer reviews) does.
- 2-in-1. The S5 comes with mopping, the Roomba 980 only sweeps.
- Virtual boundaries. The Roomba 980 is equipped with a physical dual virtual wall barrier. With the Roborock you can set digital walls using its app. You can create as many digital walls and blocked zones as you want using your smartphone.
- Dirt detect. The Roomba 980 has a dirt detect sensor that provides deep cleaning in high-traffic areas.
- Full dust container indicator. The Roomba 980 comes with a full dustbin detection. It informs you when the container needs to be emptied through a notification in the app.
- Map interaction. You cannot interact with the Roomba 980's map. It works as a report of cleaning. On the plan created by the Roborock, you can set a blocked area, cleaning zone, and send the robot to a specific point using the Targeted Point option.
- LDS laser. Because of the laser, the Roborock S5 can work in the dark.
- Tangle-free rollers. The Roomba 980 is equipped with rubber tangle-free rollers that are easy to maintain. These brushes are perfect for pet hair because they don't cause hair wrapping. The Roborock has a tangle-free design but its not as efficient as Roomba's silicone brushes when it comes to hair tangling.
- Color options. The S5 is available in three colors: white, black and rose gold. The Roomba 980 has only one color option.
- Price. On Amazon, the Roborock S5 costs almost $200 less than the Roomba 980. On GeekBuying you can get the Roborock at nearly half the Roomba's price.
- Target point. You can tap on the map, and the Roborock will go to that spot and you can drive it as a radio car. Roomba's app doesn't allow to manage the robot movements.
- Noise level. The Roborock is less noisy than the Roomba 980.
- The Roborock S5 carries a cleaning tool under the lid. You always know where it is.
- Dustbin. The Roborock S5 dustbin is washable; the Roomba 980 is equipped with a container that only can be emptied.
- Map saving. The Roborock S5 saves a created map; the Roomba 980 does not.
Which one is better: the Roborock S5 or Roomba 980?
Both robot vacuums have useful features and similar functions. In our opinion, the newest Roborock S5 is a better choice with a lower price. It is has new technologies, costs less, has more powerful suction and a longer-lasting battery, works quietly, has a washable HEPA filter, covers more in one charge, and can sweep and mop at the same time.
But if you want a more trusted and proven brand — Roomba iRobot 980 is your choice, and it offers some features the Roborock S5 doesn't have.
UPDATE: If you want a robot vacuum that is as powerful as the Roborock or the Roomba 980, take a look at the 360 S6 review. This fantastic robot costs less than the Roborock S5 (and twice less expensive than the Roomba 980), but still has very similar features as the S5 does, such as intelligent mapping technology, strong suction power, wet mopping, etc.
Where to buy
Since English is not our first language, you may notice spelling and grammatical errors in the article. We would be very grateful if you could help us fix the mistakes. Just select the confusing part of the text with your mouse and press Ctrl + Enter, then you will be able to send us a corrected version of the text. Thank you for your effort!
Related Robot Vacuum Comparisons
- Comparing the Roborock S5 vs. Viomi V2
- Roborock S5 vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot Comparison Chart
- Comparing 360 S6 Robot Vacuum vs. Roborock S5
- Roborock S50 (White) vs. ILIFE A9S Comparison
- Roborock S50 vs. Roborock S55 Black Comparison
- Roborock S6 vs. Roomba i7+: The Differences Explained
- Viomi V2 vs Roborock S6: the Differences Explained
- Roborock S6 Hands On Review: What to Expect From the Newest Robot Vacuum
- 360 S5 vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot: Is the Newest Robot Vacuum Better Than Xiaomi?
- Viomi V2 - An Intelligent Robot Vacuum For Carpet