Both robot vacuums: the Roborock S5 and iRobot Roomba i7+ are high-end robotic vacuum cleaners that are featured with useful options that will make cleaning easier for you. It is challenging to choose the best; we will try to help you to decide which robot vacuum would be better for your home.
The Roborock S5 vs. Roomba i7+
|Features||Roborock S5||Roomba i7+|
|Run Time (min)||150||120|
|Dustbin size (ml)||500||500|
|Battery capacity (mAh)||5,200||3,300|
|Navigation Technology||LDS + SLAM||iAdapt 3.0 + vSLAM|
|Clearance (in / mm)||0.79 / 20||0.79 / 20|
|Virtual Walls||Digital block offs||Dual virtual wall barrier|
|Smartphone App||Mi Home||iRobot Home|
|Amazon Alexa & Google Assistant support||yes||yes|
|Recharge and Resume||yes||yes|
|Smart carpet identification||yes||yes|
|Full Bin Indicator||no||yes|
|Mapping sensor||lidar (laser distance sensor)||camera|
|Warranty||12 months||12 months|
What are the main differences between the Roborock S5 and Roomba i7+?
- Roomba i7+ uses a camera sensor to map your home layout; the Roborock S5 - a laser distance sensor (LDS or Lidar). The Roomba i7+ suffers in dark rooms. The Roborock S5 does not have this issue
- The Roborock S5 lasts longer
- The Roomba i7+ uses brushless rollers that and are perfect for pet hair. The Roborock S5 has a brush that is claimed to be tangle-free however it takes more time to maintain the Roborock brush
- Roomba has dirt detect. It is a system that recognizes high-traffic spots making a cleaner to go over these zones a few times until it is clean
- The i7+ has a LED-indicator that shows where its dust container if full. You will also be aware of it through the app. The Roborock S5 stops cleaning when its dustbin needs emptying
- The Mi Home app allows tracking the Roborock's movements in real-time, watch where it was and where it need to clean
- In the Mi Home app, you can set virtual block offs to keep the vacuum from wandering off. In the box with the Roomba i7+, you get the dual virtual wall barrier that does the same except you are limited with two physical blocks. These blocks extend the range to block openings of up to 10 ft. (3 M)
- Zoned cleaning works a bit different for each cleaner. In the Roomba, you divide the map into several zones, name each, and when it's done, you can schedule the robot to work in a particular room. Please note, that you can change the map once. The Mi Home app allows drawing a rectangle to let the Roborock know where to clean. You can make as many zones as you want
- With the Mi Home app, you can tap on a created map, and the Roborock will go there to clean. And, you can manage it manually. The Roomba i7+ only allowing to control its movements like a radio car
- The Roomba i7+ comes equipped with a self-emptying charging base. All you need is to empty the disposal box about once a month
- The Roborock S5 has stronger suction power
- The Roborock S5 can sweep and mop; the Roomba only sweeps
- The Roborock S5 stores one map in memory while the Roomba can save 10 different floor plans
- The LIDAR is more accurate than the camera
- The Roborock S5 costs half of the Roomba i7+ price.
The Roborock S5 is a 2-in-1 vacuum cleaner that can sweep carpets and mop bare floors.
The Roborock S5 not only sweeps, it also can mop
The 100 ml water tank is easy to insert by sliding it underneath until it clicks. 100 ml of water is enough to mop for 50-60 minutes. After the container gets dry, you can fill it up again if there are still untouched areas. Sure mopping won’t replace an actual mop, but if you have somewhat clean floors, it will help you lower that amount of time you spend actually mopping. It’s a nice feature to have.
There is a tower on top with a laser inside. It scans surrounding areas to create a plan of the cleaning area, which helps the robot to know where to clean. The laser works fast; it takes a few moments to scan the room; you won't notice when the robot finished creating the map and started cleaning.
LIDAR technology allows the Roborock to work in the dark
Thanks to mapping, the Roborock spends less time to clean a house making navigation more efficient. The robot follows a back-and-forth navigation pattern sticking to the map, thus knowing where it needs to clean. You can see the whole process of plan creating in the app, which is magnificent. The Roborock might also divide a cleaning room into a few zones and work on each until the room is done.
Mapping saves battery life because the S5 does not clean the same zones twice
The vacuum has three processors inside that track its movements in real-time which you can see on your smartphone. Only a few robot vacuums in the industry allow watching it working in real-time.
When its battery is less than 20% of energy, the Roborock S5 navigates back to its base stations, charge up to 80% and then finish cleaning to get the deed done.
Use the Mi Home app to draw restricted areas or set zoned cleaning
Inside the Mi Home app, you can set blocked areas and customize where to clean by drawing a rectangle. The amount of rectangles you can create is unlimited. Other features are standard for almost all the robot cleaners: scheduling, switching between cleaning modes, start/stop the device, etc. When the robot is done working, you can see cleaning history and if you want it to clean a particular room again - create a customized area where it needs to go and press start.
How the Roborock S5 works?
It has a side sweeper that works along walls catching dust and sends it to the main brush. The main brush agitates debris; strong suction power sucks up dust and dirt inside the dustbin.
The longest-lasting battery in the industry and resumption makes the Roborock S5 perfect for bigger households
The robot is equipped with a washable HEPA filter that lasts longer than regular filters. It catches up to 99.9% of pollen and allergens in the air.
It also has a bunch of sensors that are able to recognize carpeted flooring, automatically boosting suction power once the robot is on the carpet.
When the dust box gets full, the Roborock stops cleaning.
What is the Roborock S5 good for?
- Long battery life makes the Roborock S5 suitable for big homes.
- Strong suction, intelligent carpet identification, and a bristled brush ensure deep cleaning on thin and thicker carpets.
- Mopping is excellent for homes with bare floor.
- Setting cleaning areas feature is helpful when you don't need to clean the whole house, only one or two rooms.
- With a blocked area, the robot vacuum will not go to your kid's room, especially if the child is sleeping.
8 Reasons of why the Roborock is better than the Roomba i7+?
- Battery life. A big deal for those who live in a bigger house.
- LIDAR. The LDS sensor builds an accurate map and allows the robot to work in the dark
- Can sweep and mop at the same time.
- The Roborock S5 has one of the strongest suction power in the industry thanks to which the cleaner picks up even the smallest particulars on carpet.
- Restricted area support. It is a useful feature if you want the robot to not go over cords, kids' toys, etc.
- Washable HEPA. It makes the filter last longer.
- Tracking in real-time. You can watch the robot building a map in real-time by using the Mi Home.
- Price. With the given features, the Roborock costs half of the Roomba i7+ price.
iRobot Roomba i7+
Everyone knows about the latest robot iRobot released - the Roomba i7+. It is the cleaner that doesn't require you to be involved in the cleaning process.
Once the Roomba i7+ docks itself, debris and dust that are in the dirt box get sucked up into the disposal bag by the charging station. In case the robot is working and gets full, it returns to the base, empty itself and get to cleaning again.
The Roomba i7+ charging dock automatically empties the dustbin that is inside the robot vacuum when it gets full. It holds up to 30 robot bins
The Roomba i7 is the same Roomba i7+ only without the clean base automatic dirt disposal. It has a regular charging dock all the Roombas do.
On the side, you will see a side brush that helps the vacuum cleaner bring the debris to the main brush that then sucks it up to the dustbin. The silicone rollers are tangle-free and are the best for pet hair since they need less maintenance than bristled brushes. If a recharge is required, the Roomba i7+ will top itself off and then pick up where it left off.
The Roomba i7+ has a camera sensor on top to map out the cleaning area. It needs light to provide better performance
There is a built-in camera sensor that learns, maps, and adapts to your home. This technology is called Imprint Smart Mapping. The robot remembers where it has cleaned and known where it needs to clean.
The Roomba i7+ is equipped with the advanced brushless rollers that are perfect for pet hair
When the map is created, you can divide it into zones, name each zone to make the Roomba i7+ clean each zone separately further. You can also schedule the vacuum to work on a room you've chosen by using the iRobot Home app or voice (if you have Alexa-enabled devices or Google Assistant). Please note, you can name each zone only once. Also, in the app, you can start and stop the machine, schedule it, switch between modes, navigate the robot manually, and see cleaning history.
Divide the created map into cleaning zones to set a specific time so the vacuum cleaner will work within chosen areas
The Roomba i7+ stores up to 10 different floor plans, which makes it suitable for multi-store homes.
In the box with the robot, you will find the dual virtual wall barrier that keeps the cleaner from wandering off.
The Roomba i7+ is suitable for multiple-level homes. It stores up to 10 different floor plans in memory
Dirt detect helps Roomba to recognize the dirtiest areas. The robot will take more time to clean those spots.
To clean carpets better, the Roomba is equipped with smart carpet identification that boosts up air power once it knows the robot is on carpet flooring.
What is the Roomba i7+ good for?
- The carpet identification, strong suction, and dirt detect work together to provide deep cleaning on thin and thicker carpets
- Silicone rollers make the Roomba i7+ ideal for pet owners
- Zoned cleaning is excellent if you have rooms that need to be cleaned less often than others so you can just pick the zone you need and let the robot do the job
- The clean base with automatic dirt disposal is the thing that makes the Roomba i7+ special; you don't have to worry about emptying the dustbin anymore.
7 Reasons of why the Roomba i7+ is better than the Roborock S5?
- Silicone rollers. These brushless rollers are perfect for pet owners and those who have long hair.
- Dirt detect. This feature provides deeper cleaning on high-traffic spots.
- Full bin alert. When the dustbox gets full, the Roomba returns to the dock, empties itself and continues cleaning.
- Self-emptying charging dock. It is the main feature of why the Roomba i7+ is so popular.
- Scheduling by room. You can make the robot work in the kitchen only by using programming or your voice (if you have an Alexa-enabled device or Google Home).
- Height. Because of no tower with the LDS laser, the Roomba is shorter than the Roborock and can fit under most furniture.
- Multiple maps saving. Useful if you live in a house with more than one floor.
Accessories to buy
You can get additional accessories for the Roborock S5 on Amazon.
Unfortunately, so far accessories for the Roomba i7+ can be bought on the official iRobot website only.
Price and where to buy
On Amazon, buy the Roborock S5 for around $440.
The Roomba i7+ comes with a $999 price tag on Amazon.
Which robot is better the Roborock S5 or Roomba i7+?
Both units are great at cleaning. They show excellent performance and both have similar features. Both are high-end models.
You have a dog or cat (or both) and don't want to spend time to maintain the vacuum? If you are not tight on budget and ready to pay extra, consider buying the Roomba i7+. This is a great robot vacuum that will keep your floors clean.
Get the Roomba i7+ if you:
- live in a multiple-level house;
- have a pet and don't want to spend time to maintain the brushless rollers;
- crave the charging dock that empties the robot's dustbin;
- live in a house with mostly carpets;
- don't need mopping;
- are okay with camera-based mapping;
- live in a home that is not too big.
Please keep in mind, that the Roomba i7+ is not suitable for big homes. Though it can clean bigger households, the robot will have to do a few cleaning cycles to finish the job.
The Roborock S5 has the app that allows doing many things, such as creating virtual boundaries and set where to clean. It can also mop floors, not only sweep. The mapping is accurate, which makes navigation almost perfect. In the app, you will see how the robot is moving around in real-time. Cleaning performance is excellent; the Roborock is suitable for average and big homes and costs half of the Roomba price.
Get the Roborock S5 if you:
- live in a big home;
- have a pet;
- your home is mostly about carpets;
- need extra power;
- need mopping;
- want a flagship robot with efficient navigation.
If you have questions about which robot vacuum to buy, please leave a comment down below, and we will try to help you to choose.