The ILIFE A8 vs the Xiaomi Mi Robot Comparison: which is better?
Mar 5, 2018 4 min read
Table of Contents (Jump to)
Recently, ILIFE Robotics released a new flagship robot vacuum - the ILIFE A8. It's the first ILIFE model with an intelligent navigation system that builds a path for efficient cleaning. A lot of ILIFE fans been waiting for this feature since all other ILIFE robot vacuums don't have smart navigation. Why is smart navigation so important? Most of the cheap robot vacuums randomly move around your house, so they need more time to cover the entire area. Sometimes, they can't clean all the rooms at once or spend more time in one room and less in another. But they are still good if you use them regularly a few times per week. More expensive models like the ILIFE A8, Xiaomi Mi robot (and the newest Roborock version), the Roomba 980 (or 960), the Neato BotVac, the Dyson 360 Eye, and so on are equipped with a smart navigation system.
They have a laser or camera located on top that scans your house, while a powerful processor builds a plan of all rooms and calculates the most effective path to clean it avoiding obstacles. In this article, we will try to compare the ILIFE A8 and Xiaomi Mi Robot vacuum cleaners. We have chosen the older version of the Xiaomi robot vacuum on purpose since the newest version the Xiaomi Roborock is more expensive.
ILIFE A8 and Xiaomi Mi Robot specifications
|Specifications||Xiaomi Mi Robot||ILIFE A8|
|Suction Power||1,800 Pa (CyclonePower 3-stage cleaning system)||1,000 Pa|
|Smart Navigation||360-degree Laser Distance Sensor||360-degree live-vision camera (PanoView system)|
|Battery Life||150 min||90 min|
|Battery Capacity||5,200 mAh||2,600 mAh|
|Noise Level||68 db||64 db|
|Dust bin capacity||420 ml||300 ml|
|Obstacle climbing||15 mm||12 mm|
|Voice alert system||yes||yes|
|Resumes after recharging||yes||yes|
|IR Remote Control||no||yes|
|Filteration system||HEPA filter||HEPA filter|
|Body Height||9.6 cm||7.2 cm|
|Body Radius||34.5 cm||30.5 cm|
What does the Xiaomi Mi Robot do? Features
The Xiaomi Mi Robot can be controlled via the MI Home app (Android and iOS supported). The app offers a few features such as tracking cleaning progress (even if you are not at home), scheduling, the start/stop button, return to recharge, and so on. The Mi Robot has a more powerful motor that delivers 1,800 Pa vs 1,000 Pa compared to the ILIFE A8. It can pick up more dust from rugs. The 5200mAh battery provides a longer run time - up to 150 minutes in one charge. It is equipped with 12 different sensors that help the robot move around the house and build an efficient cleaning pattern.
- Can be controlled and monitored via a smartphone
- Decent battery life
- Extremely strong suction power
- The LIDAR technology is more accurate and allows the robot to work in the dark
- No extra accessories in the box (no extra side brush, filter, or anything)
- The bristled brush makes it challenging to untangle long human or pet hair
The main features of the ILIFE A8
The ILIFE A8 is an improved version of the A6 model. It has a similar design and the same 300ml dustbin. You can use the IR remote controller to schedule the robot, choose between 5 cleaning modes (auto, borders, the entire room, spotted spiral cleaning mode), and get the robot to its docking station using the home button. The ILIFE A8 has a new feature - a voice alert system called i-Voice Assistant. The robot alerts you about the battery level or when the cleaning process will be finished. The slim body allows for cleaning hard-to-reach places.
- Slim 7.2cm body
- Low noise level
- i-Voice Assistant
- Extra brushes and filters come in the box
- Tangle-free brush is the best for pet and long human hair
- Does not come with a smartphone app
- Doesn't do medium and thick carpets
- Its mapping technology is not as good as the LIDAR
Price and where to buy
The 1st generation Xiaomi is available on Gearbest. It costs $286.99 which is more than expected for the features it offers.
You can also get the Xiaomi Mi Robot on Amazon for $362.56 with free two-day shipping for Prime members.
The iLIFE A8 is available on Amazon for $299.99.
Update: You can order ILIFE A8 on Gearbest for about $350.
*remember that prices on Amazon or GearBest may change.
What are the main differences between the Xiaomi Mi Robot and the ILIFE A8?
- Xiaomi Mi Robot uses the LIDAR mapping system and SLAM technology to navigate around. It allows the robot to work in the dark. The ILIFE A8 maps with a camera sensor that has its issues with dark carpets because of the cliff sensors that "think" the robot is going to fall down
- Xiaomi Mi Robot comes with stronger suction making it suitable for medium carpets while the ILIFE A8 can do only thin ones
- The Mi robot's dustbin holds more dust and dirt
- Thanks to the ILFIE A8 rubber roller, the robot is suitable for pet hair
- Xiaomi works longer covering more in one charge
- Xiaomi Mi Robot comes with the Mi Home app while the ILIFE A8 has a remote control only
- ILIFE A8's it shorter making it suitable to work under most of the furniture
- You can see a map created by the Xiaomi robot in the Mi Home app while the ILIFE A8 doesn't have an app to view the map
- Mi Robot can climb an obstacle up to 15 mm tall, the ILIFE does 12 mm top.
Which robot is better, the Xiaomi Mi Robot or the ILIFE A8?
Both robots are good, both provide great performance for their value, are both worth the money. The robots from ILIFE and Xiaomi have a low price tag but can beat much more expensive flagship models from other manufacturers. The best side of the ILIFE A8 is its rubber brush that doesn't cause hair tangling and works better on bare floors.
However, Xiaomi Mi Robot comes with an app and runs longer. It has the stronger suction that is able to clean low and medium-pile carpets. Its mapping technology is more accurate and allows the robot to work in the dark. Even though it is an old model, Xiaomi Mi Robot still one of the best robot vacuum cleaners on the market with a price tag of around $300.
[Update, September 2018] Have a look at the newest robot vacuum - 360 S6. It is featured with a powerful motor, mapping, mopping etc. It can easily compete with high-end robot cleaners having a budget price tag of around $350.
Found some spelling or grammatical error? Please help us to fix it!
Since English is not our first language, you may notice spelling and grammatical errors in the article. We would be very grateful if you could help us fix the mistakes. Just select the confusing part of the text with your mouse and press Ctrl + Enter, then you will be able to send us a corrected version of the text. Thank you for your effort!
WHERE TO BUY
Related Robot Vacuum Comparisons
- iRobot Roomba 890 vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot Comparison
- Comparing VIOMI VXRS01 vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot
- Comparing Xiaomi Xiaowa E20 (E202) vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot
- Compare ECOVACS Deebot Ozmo 601 vs. ILIFE A8
- Comparing ILIFE A8 vs. XShuai T370
- Xiaomi Xiaowa Robot Vacuum: an Affordable Automatic Cleaner With Strong Suction Power
- The Newest ILIFE V8S: Is It Worth Its Money?
- Housmile Robot Vacuum: Is It The Best Home Assistant For Under $100?
- ILIFE A8: a Robot Vacuum With an Intelligent Path Planning System
- The Best Cheap Robot Vacuum of 2018