Does everyone know about the Xiaomi Mi Robot? It became popular since the robot was released in 2016. At that time, it was among the best smart machines at a price of about $400. By the way, the Xiaomi has launched the newest robot vacuum - MiJia 1S.
Time changed and the market is getting bigger with the newest models that get launched. One of those robot vacuums is the 360 S5. The first model S6 was one of the best budget and smart cleaners.
The S5 has almost all the features the Mi Robot does plus some additional such as carpet identification, room localization, maps saving, etc. Intrigued? Let's find out if you would better go with the new brand or stick with a well-known Xiaomi.
Xiaomi Mi Robot vs. 360 S5 comparison chart
|Specs||Xiaomi Mi Robot||360 S5|
|Suction power||1,800 Pa||2,000 Pa|
|Battery life||150 min||120 min|
|Recharge & Resume||yes||yes|
|Battery capacity||5,200 mAh||2,600 mAh|
|Dustbin capacity||420 ml||500 ml|
|Climbing ability||0.59 / 15 mm||0.79 in / 20 mm|
|Noise level||68 dB||55 dB|
|Alexa/Google Home support||yes||no|
|HEPA filtration||yes||Washable HEPA|
|Warranty||12 months||12 months|
The difference between the Xiaomi Mi Robot and 360 S5
- HEPA filter. The 360 S5 comes with a washable filter; it lasts longer than those that can't be washed. The Xiaomi's filter is non-washable.
- Suction power. The S5 delivers 2,000 Pa vs. the Xiaomi 1,800 Pa.
- Battery life. The Xiaomi Mi Robot works 30 minutes longer. The Xiaomi is perfect for big homes.
- Barrier cross height. The Xiaomi Mi Robot can climb an obstacle that is not higher than 15 mm; the 360 S5 is able to climb up to 20 mm obstacle. The 360 is more suitable for thicker carpets.
- Dustbin size. The 360 S5 has a bigger dustbin. It is better for pet owners since the robot can hold more and you don't have to empty the box as often.
- Carpet identification. The 360 S5 has a bunch of sensors that can recognize carpet flooring and provide deeper cleaning on it.
- Restricted areas. With the 360Smart app, you can set restricted areas so the robot will not cross them. The Xiaomi does not support it.
- Alexa compatibility. The Xiaomi is integrated with Alexa-enabled devices and Google Home. So far, the 360 does not work with any of those.
- Noise level. Even though the S5 has stronger suction, it has a different design that reduces the noise level making the robot work quieter than the Mi Robot.
- Room recognition. The 360 S6 knows the location of your rooms. You can name each room to make the robot work within it further.
- Scheduling by a room. Make the S5 work in the kitchen at a specific time. With room recognition, you can schedule the robot to work in one or two rooms by simply choosing them inside the app.
- Map saving. Thanks to this feature, the 360 S5 can work in a house that has more than one level. By saving up to 10 different floor plans, the robot remembers where it has mapped, so it knows its location when being placed on the second floor manually.
- Price. So far, the 360 S5 costs cheaper than the Xiaomi Mi Robot.
What the 360 S5 and Xiaomi Mi Robot share?
LIDAR mapping technology
Both of them have a "tower" on top with the LDS laser. The laser helps to build the map of your floors by scanning out the cleaning area.
The map makes the robot remember where it needs to clean and where it has already been.
Unless those models that do not have mapping, the 360 S5, and Mi Robot follow the map, they create to navigate in a purposeful back-and-forth pattern.
With the map, the robot will not go over the same areas twice saving battery life.
Both models support zoned cleaning. When you need the vacuum to work inside your kitchen only, you can set the area inside the app so the cleaner will only vacuum within it.
Each of them is equipped with processors that help to track the robot in real-time. You can watch your robot building a map in the app.
As all the robot vacuum cleaners that are based on the LDS laser, the Xiaomi and 360 resume cleaning after recharging. When the battery is about 20% of energy, the robot automatically returns to the charging dock, charge up to 80% and picks up from the same spot it left off.
Both robots are safe for those who suffer from allergy and asthma since they are equipped with a HEPA filter. The 360 S5 filter is washable though.
Xiaomi Mi Robot quick buying guide
The Xiaomi Mi Robot is one of the longest-lasting and strongest robot vacuum cleaners on the market. It is smart, efficient and comes with a reasonable price tag.
Mi Robot Features
- The longest battery life on the market
- Resumes cleaning after recharging
- Has a HEPA filter
- Is equipped with the LDS laser to map out an interior
- Remembers your floor plans, has a purposeful efficient navigation
- Strong suction picks up even the smalles particles such as dust, dirt and pet hair
- Equipped with 12 sensors that help it to navigate around without getting stuck or bump into furniture
- In the app, you can set zoned cleaning
- Is integrated with Alexa-enabled devices and Google Home
The Xiaomi Mi Robot is equipped with the 5,200 mAh longest-lasting battery in the industry that makes the robot work for the whole 150 minutes. It has a side sweeper and the main cleaning brush. They work together to catch, agitate and channel the dust, debris and pet hair right into the suction path where it gets sucked up into the dustbin. With the LDS laser that is housed in the "head," the Xiaomi maps out the interior to let the robot know where exactly it should clean. The Mi Robot can be tracked in real-time. The app supports zoned cleaning which means if you want the cleaner to work inside the kitchen, you can make the vacuum work within it by drawing a rectangle on the map. After recharging is done, the Mi Robot resumes cleaning from the same spot it left off.
The Xiaomi Mi Robot is suitable for big homes with mostly bare flooring or mixed surface. Because of the climbing ability of 15 mm, it is not suitable for thicker carpets.
360 S5 quick buying guide
The S5 is the newest model of 360 brand. We have reviewed (and been using it for quite a while) their previous robot vacuum cleaner - 360 S6. Take everything we loved about the 360 S6, add room recognition, improve the clearance and get the better version - the 360 S5.
360 S5 features
- Washable HEPA filter meant to last longer
- Resumption makes the S5 ideal for bigger homes
- Thanks to the multiple-mapping saving, the 360 S5 is perfect for homes with more than one level
- In the app you can set restricted areas to prevent the robot from going to certain places
- The 360 S5 supports zoned cleaning
- The robot knows the location of your rooms thanks to the AI room recognition
- The S5 can be scheduled to work within a particular room
- Can identify carpet flooring
- Has an excellent climbing ability of 20 mm
- Delivers 2,000 Pa of suction power which is one of the strongest in the industry
We love how the 360 S6 performs on both: carpets and bare flooring. Even though we have low and medium-pile carpets, the robot cannot climb rugs that are thicker than 17 mm (never was an issue for us though). It has the better climbing ability of 20 mm, same LDS laser-based mapping, a similar design (except the way you get the dustbin out) and what is important - the 360 S5 knows the location of your rooms.
Stronger suction yet the 360 S5 is quieter than most of the robot vacuum cleaners
If with the S6 model you had to create zoned cleaning to make the robot work within a living room, the S5 actually knows where your living room is, and so you can make it work directly there, without drawing a rectangle, only by choosing the room in the map. Also, you can schedule the robot to clean your kitchen at a specific time by picking up the room you need in the map the robot created. This is a similar feature the Xiaomi MiJia 1S, and Roborock T6 have.
Choose the room you want the robot to work within. Schedule the 360 S5 to work in your kitchen at a specific time
Nevertheless, the 360 S5 also supports zoned cleaning and restricted areas we loved in the 360 S6.
The 360 S5 can recognize carpet flooring, it boosts suction power once the robot knows it is on a carpet
In addition, the newest model has stronger suction of 2,000 Pa. Even though it has stronger suction, the S5 also has a dual noise reduction duct.
The same as the 360 S6, the newest model support multiple mapping storing which makes the 360 S5 perfect for homes with one or more floors.
The HEPA filter is washable
However, the newest model does not have a water container and can not mop.
The 360 S5 is ideal for homes with a mixed surface, bare flooring or thicker carpets. If you live in a house that has more than one level - the 360 S5 would be ideal for your needs.
Why buying the 360 S5 instead of the Xiaomi Mi Robot?
- Better climbing ability. The S5 is more suitable for thicker carpets.
- Carpet boost. The 360 provides deeper cleaning on carpets.
- The S5 knows the location of your rooms.
- Washable HEPA filter.
- Restricted areas. It is a useful feature if you want to block the robot from going to the areas with cords, kids toys, etc.
- Scheduling to work in a particular room.
- Stronger suction. Means the S5 provides better cleaning performance
- Noise level. The S5 works quieter.
- Dustbin size. If you have a pet, you would want to go with the S5 since it holds more dust and pet hair than the Xiaomi
- The 360 S5 saves up to 10 different floor plans. Perfect if you live in a house that is more than one level.
Price & where to buy
The 360 S5 so far is only available on GearBest where you can get it for ~$290 (use the coupon code S5ROBOTDE to get $10 discount).
To Wrap It Up: Xiaomi Mi Robot or 360 S5?
So which one would you choose with the given features?
With all my love to the Xiaomi Mi Robot, I would recommend getting the 360 S5 anyway. Why? It has more features; it performs better on carpets with better climbing ability, carpet identification, and stronger suction. Let's not forget about the room localization. The S5 would be better for pet owners; also if there are thicker carpets in your house and your house is actually more than one level - the 360 would be more suitable for your needs. With the given price that is so far $20 cheaper than the Mi Robot's cost - the 360 is a winner here.
Unless you need longer runtime because you live in a big house or want to control the device with your voice (in case you have Alexa or Google Home) - go with the Xiaomi Mi Robot. Talking about Alexa compatibility - the Xiaomi didn't support smart voice assistants at first, so we hope the 360 will be integrated with those soon as well.