Xiaomi MiJia 1C the First Budget Robot With Virtual Walls & Zoned Cleaning

The Xiaomi MiJia 1C has received a new update and now supports virtual walls and zoned cleaning. This is the first budget robot ($308.95 on Aliexpress) that has these options and one of a few on the market with an optical sensor that allows interacting with the map.

The features are still in beta. To turn it on, you have to switch location to «Chinese Mainland». Once you do so, you have to turn on the «Map saving mode» menu. Keep in mind, to get a precise map of your floor, you have to run the robot a few times under different lighting conditions.

In my case, the map was saved after one cleaning cycle.

Update Feb 2021: the latest update brings room cleaning and allows seeing the robot’s route as well as naming the rooms.

Now you can rename the rooms (either choosing among already created names or customizing your own name).

After cleaning you can see the robot’s route in the app.

When you do so, find the «Experimental features» menu and turn it on as well.

Virtual walls / Restricted areas

There are two options of how to set restricted areas:

1. to add a virtual wall;
  2. to add a restricted area.

The wall is convenient when the shape of the zone you want the robot to avoid is asymmetrical. The restricted area is handy when you don’t want the robot to go to your workplace or something that has cords, small things, etc.

When the MiJia 1C runs with virtual walls set, you can track its movements in real-time and this is the first robot on the market that is guided by an optical sensor and you can actually watch it cleaning.

As you can see, for a budget robot, the 1C is pretty accurate.

Zoned cleaning

You can order the robot to clean within a particular area by setting zoned cleanup.

This option can work separately or in tandem with virtual walls/restricted areas.

When the MiJia 1C is cleaning, you can also track it in real-time in the Mi Home app.

Keep in mind, zoned cleaning is limited by one zone only (for now).

68 comments
Danilo Forlini ⋅ 2 years, 6 months ago #

Would you help me? I have two floors in my house and I don´t know how to use de mijia 1c. Should I disable the smart map management? Every time I use the mijia it will reset the maps in each floor? Or there is a way of save two maps? thanks for your attention

Adam Svaček ⋅ 2 years, 6 months ago #

Mijia 1c is not able to save multiple maps. So every time when you put it on another floor it does recognize it as new area and will start generating new map. So no disabling smart map management is not gonna help.

Steve Yaldoo ⋅ 2 years, 8 months ago #

i just notified that 3.5.8-1110 is available. anyone already updated it?

Ufo ⋅ 2 years, 11 months ago #

The article says the new update allows you to define seperate rooms. I can't find this option anywhere in the app. How do you actually set this up?

Natalie Red ⋅ 2 years, 11 months ago #

If I'm not wrong, the robot should divide the map on its own. Did your robot complete the map?

David ⋅ 3 years, 1 month ago #

Just got the Xiaomi 1C last week, and after a couple (4) runs I finally got the map done. Some very arbitrary rooms were created, and I have tried to rename the areas but I can only select them (a pin appears) but I am not able to go any further. Can anyone assist me?
Cheers
David

Natalie Red ⋅ 3 years, 1 month ago #

Hi David, you tap the "rename area" menu, then select the area you need, then tap the "rename area" again and the list of names appears.

To find that "rename area" menu you have to swipe up the main menu, select "Map management" and you can see the rest.

Best,
Natalie

David ⋅ 3 years, 1 month ago #

Thanks a lot!
Not very useful nor esthetically attractive or user friendly but I could do it. I hope some features (really useful ones) are soon implemented. How often are firmwares released?
Cheers
David

Natalie Red ⋅ 3 years, 1 month ago #

Compared to the Xiaomi Mop P, the 1C receives updates more often

Twan ⋅ 3 years, 2 months ago #

Hello,

I bought the Mija 1C (Mi Robot Vacuum Mop Essential) a few weeks ago. However, I have not been able to find the experimental feature at all. If I switch to the chinese mainland, my device isn't found, and when I switch to my region, it doesn't have the experimental features. It also says I have the latest firmware, which is 2.0.8.6138, which sounds strange as I keep hearing higher firmware.

Any way to solve this to get the experimental features?

Timbets ⋅ 3 years, 2 months ago #

Mop Essential is Mijia G1

Natalie Red ⋅ 3 years, 2 months ago #

As Timbets said, the MiJia G1 does not have no-go zones or map saving. The 1C has an optical sensor on top while the G1 doesn't.

Twan ⋅ 3 years, 2 months ago #

Thanks for the clarification! I bought the 1C, so I will check with the store for sending the correct model.

Latest update added rooms and more detailed map and tracking line.

I finally received the update too! Going to add this to the review

"After cleaning you can see the robot’s route in the app." Picture after this doesn't load for me

Also Mijia 1C is only the Chinese name, internationally this is sold as Mi Robot Vacuum Mop as you point out in the review, but I think it should be more clear. International version has Mi logo instead Mijia(cat?) logo. G1 is sold as Mop Essential

Fixed and added everything you said to the review, I didn't know those have different logos. Thanks a lot for the help :)

Also after the latest firmware update it now takes 3 runs to create a map instead of 1 like it did before. Also creating a new map gave me 3 rooms, old map just thought all is same one room.

samet ⋅ 3 years, 3 months ago #

merhaba benim cihazım bu sürümü yükledikten sonra 1059 u güçlü ve turbo modlarda 1 2 dk sonra kendini kapatmaya başladı sessiz ve standart modda sıkıntısız çalışıyor güncellemeyle ilgili sorun galiba sizin de başınıza geldimi ? eski sürümde yoktu bu sıkıntı eski sürüme nasıl döneriz fikriniz varmı ?

Eve ⋅ 3 years, 6 months ago #

I just bought our 1C this week and I’m happy with it. Vaccum is on v1059 and the Experimental Features are available (using my own region and not China) but only shows virtual wall and restricted area. No zoning yet.

I’ve tried to add a virtual wall (which worked) but is there a way to remove it without the need to reset the whole map? It appears adding walls and restrictions are permanent unless you reset the saved map?

Michael ⋅ 3 years, 6 months ago #

Zoned cleaning should be available if you have experimental features enabled. Check the third image in this article, there is a small round button (with a square inside) on the main screen (top-right corner) for zoned cleaning settings.
Sure, you can remove the virtual walls without needs to reset the whole map. Open the Map management, tap on the "Virtual walls / restricted areas" button, then tap on the zone/virtual wall you want to delete and you will see a small "x" (remove) button nearby.

Eve ⋅ 3 years, 6 months ago #

Thanks Michael!! That works! Am I correct to say that those features (zoning and virtual walls) can’t be scheduled? Can’t find a way to do so.

Michael ⋅ 3 years, 6 months ago #

Glad it works! Unfortunately, zoned cleaning can't be scheduled. Virtual walls should work when you scheduling the cleaning, at least it works with some other robot vacuums, didn't test it with the 1C.

pasgabriele ⋅ 3 years, 9 months ago #

Hi, i read that Xiaomi Mijia 1C is very similar to Dreame F9 (same specs). This robot has the room recognition and selective room cleaning features. My questions are: I can configure the 1C as Dreame F9 in Mi Home app to enable these features? Has anyone tried this? There is a way to install Dreame F9 firmware on Xiaomi 1C? Thanks!

Michael ⋅ 3 years, 9 months ago #

Hi,
Agree, looks very similar to the 1C except for the battery (the Dreame F9 equipped with a 5,200 mAh battery). The Mijia 1C has not been hacked yet, so there is no way to flash a custom firmware. But it's a good sign, if the Dreame F9 has room recognition, there is a big chance that the 1C will get it in the future considering that they are using the same/similar hardware.

Pasgabriele ⋅ 3 years, 9 months ago #

Thanks!!

zikacu ⋅ 3 years, 11 months ago #

Dear Natalie
I have bought Xiaomi 1c vacuum cleaner. After the the last update unfortunately the item is unable to return to base. I was ok with the old version. The lights are on. wifi strength is ok in every part of the house. Also I have changed the base place again near to wifi base. But unfotunately nothing happened. This makes my item useless. Even 1 m far it cant successfully operate and says"cant find the base". What sholud I do? Is there a support mail that I can write to?
Sincerely

Natalie Red ⋅ 3 years, 11 months ago #

Hey there. Is it charging when you manually placing the robot to the base? Another question: did you try to delete the current map and create a new one?

Unfortinately there is no saved map yet. It only shows the way it goes. Also it is charging. Everything seens normal. It happened after the last update.

Maybe try to wait until the map is created? If it doesn't help, change the dock location (but wait until the robot recognizes its location on the map) and try again.

Yes I have already made the resetting. Change the dock position also and from about 3-4 m awat it recognised. Unfortinately, when it is not able to find the dock how the map crates? Because it says for the map creation you must turn it to base with your hand (sorry for the grammer). Anyway, if you have a mail or something that you can suggest I also want to write to the firm.I am living in turkey. Sincerely and sorry for bothering you.

Here is the Xiaomi customer support page: https://www.mi.com/global/support/contact. Hope they can help you.

Michael ⋅ 3 years, 11 months ago #

Did you try to restore the robot's factory settings? There is a small reset button under the lid, press and hold it for a few seconds until you hear «Restoring to the factory settings». After resetting the robot, pair it with the app again and check if the problem persists.

Can you suggest any solution, dear?

Juji ⋅ 3 years, 10 months ago #

Hi, i have problem with the robot. Previously it can run well. But 2 weeks ago, it start having problem with main wheel. Sometimes it said blocked. But actually nothing blocked it. After i turn off and turn on, it can run but only for few minutes until problem again. Is it because of firmware? My firm ware is 1059.

Jack ⋅ 3 years, 11 months ago #

Hi,

do these »experimental features « work properly now? I am planning on buying this Xiaomi Roborock vacuum cleaner. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Jack

As far as I know, they work properly now. At least I didn't hear anyone complaining since the latest update...

Olaf ⋅ 3 years, 11 months ago #

Hi,
that was pretty quick now ...;)
I just received the experimental functions to save the map (with virtual walls etc.)
It worked immediately after I manually updated the Android app on my tablet to 5.6.80.
It now works in the iPhone app also. Here I saw first the info with "OTA at the end of April" that Wolfgang had described, but then it worked immediately.

Thanks again to everyone for their support!

Best regards
Olaf

Wolfgang ⋅ 3 years, 11 months ago #

Hi,

I got the firmware update approximately 2 weeks ago with the experimental features, which worked just fine (see my other comments).

I didn't use the robot that much after my initial testing. When I started my robot yesterday, I got a message in the app saying that, the experimental features were removed and that I would get them through an OTA at the end of April.

So I have to wait again for the features, which I don't understand. But it seems like a period of time I am able to wait for.

Best,
Wolfgang

Olaf ⋅ 3 years, 12 months ago #

Hey Felipe,
have updated to Firmware 1059 and server is China, but i can’t see the map saving menu.
What version of app are u using (android or ios and which version)?
Thank you in advance!

Michael Niestegge ⋅ 3 years, 11 months ago #

Hi Olaf,

this morning it appeared by itself. I reckon the feature is unlocked step by step on the server side (maybe by serialnumber etc?)

Hi Michael,

thank you for your answer! That sounds good!

Then I'll just have to be a little more patient... ;)

Little question, so I don't do it wrong: It must be the China server or does the EU server already offer this feature also?

Best regards
Olaf

I'm on the European server. So it's not dedicated to China.

Hi Michael,
Thank you for the info!
I actually thought it had to be the China server, but now I saw that at least for some it also works on the EU server. So I will switch back to the EU server and just wait;)

Or do you perhaps know if there are other basic settings (e.g. permissions in the app for the location or storage) that could influence this?

Best regards
Olaf

Hi Olaf,

I tried several things to get the features but nothing worked (switching server, clearing data, reinstalling, ...)
The feature appeared without changing anything on its own. This is why I think it is controlled on serverside.

Greetings
Michael

Hello Micheal, hello Wolfgang,
many thanks to both of you for the information.
So I'll just wait and hope that it will work soon ...

Best regards
Olaf

Felipe ⋅ 3 years, 12 months ago #

Hi,

When I first had the 1C around a week ago, I missed the opportunity to have the experimental features, however, yesterday morning the vacuum updated to the 59 version but no experimental available. However, the wall features showed up in the afternoon and today is working well. I would love, though, to have map editor to manage and name rooms, for instance

Michael ⋅ 3 years, 12 months ago #

Hi Felipe,
thanks for sharing. Perhaps the experimental menu disappeared since the features are not experimental anymore and available by default for all users. Did you also get zone cleaning feature with the latest update? Did you switch to the China mainland server to make it work?

Felipe ⋅ 3 years, 12 months ago #

Hey Michael, I did get zone cleaning if is that feature where you highlight a zone and the robot clean only that zone, but I don't have the option to send to clean "Bedroom 2" because the vacuum recognise the whole house as one except for virtual walls and restricted areas.

Basically I see the same as is showed in this review before experimental features were deleted

Not sure if the room recognition and selective room cleaning will ever be added to this robot, but yeah, it would be a nice feature to have. Anyway glad that the map saving, virtual walls, and zoned cleaning features available in the 59 version.

Michael Niestegge ⋅ 3 years, 12 months ago #

Hi,

has anybody working smart features with the 1059 update?

Kind regards
Michael

Squirrel ⋅ 3 years, 12 months ago #

Hi,

No, updated to 1059 but cant find them in app.

Wolfgang ⋅ 3 years, 12 months ago #

Hi Michael,

I have updated my Firmware to the new 1059 version. To be honest, I didn't want to update so soon (wait until some people have confiremd, that it is working without transforming the robot into a brick) but the application forced me to update.

Luckily, the experimental features are working so far.
So far, I have tested the no-go-area with success.

Best,
Wolfgang

May ⋅ 3 years, 12 months ago #

Hi,

Thanks for sharing.

Which location do you choose for your application? I have Chinese mainland, and I have also updated the firmware to the new 1059 version but I still cannot find the experimental features... Did you find it right away after updating the firmware? Or needed to let the robot clean first?

Regards,

Wolfgang ⋅ 3 years, 12 months ago #

Hi May,

my location is Germany / Europe. I never tried Chinese mainland.
I don't know why you cannot see the experimental features. After I select my robot and access the options-page (three dots in the top right corner), the first option is "experimental features", which have only one button (activate / deactivate)
I did not have to let the robot clean first. The robot was fully charged in the docking station and hasn't moved for at least a day (lazy bastard). :)

Did you have any luck in the meantime?

Wishing you all the best,
Wolfgang

May ⋅ 3 years, 11 months ago #

Hi Wolfgang,

Still no luck :(
The experimental features option doesn’t appear on my app.

Thanks for your explanation and stay safe!

Best regards,
May

Hi Wolfgang,
Glad that it works for you! I've seen comments from other users that the experimental features still work for them, so looks like they were disabled not for all users.

Gabby Oz ⋅ 2 years, 8 months ago #

Hi,
I have a question about zoning.
So I have completed the map but it hasn’t zoned the rooms correctly bedrooms are included with loungeroom. Anyone know how I can fix this?
Thanks in advance

Natalie Red ⋅ 2 years, 8 months ago #

As far as I know, there is no way of fixing the map in the 1C. I might be wrong tho

Vojtěch Žoha ⋅ 3 years, 12 months ago #

Hi, thank you for post. It seems that these functions can be supported by this robot in the future.

I have tried to upgrade firmware to new version 1059. Mi Home app displayed that new experimental features are available in 1059 version. But unfortunately, nothing changed in Mi Home app. I have tried my region and Chinese region, but list with experimental features is empty :(

Natalie Red ⋅ 3 years, 12 months ago #

Yes, these functions were available for some time but then the new firmware update got some robots non-working so they were removed.
I do hope they will fix what has led to the issues soon.
Still, the robot is a great machine even without these additional features.

Wolfgang ⋅ 4 years ago #

Thank you for this detailed description (including the screenshots)
So, as far as I can tell you would need the firmware update 1045 in order to get the new (experimental) features?!
Do you have any more information, when this feature will come? Is there a (xiaomi) webpage, where someone can find more information?
Thank you very much in advance.
Best,
Wolfgang

Natalie Red ⋅ 4 years ago #

Unfortunately, Xiaomi disabled the experimental features in the latest 1045 firmware a few days ago. Have no idea when they are planning to return the features. Probably we should wait until the next firmware update. I was not able to find an official webpage where we can find more information or read latest news about the product, there are only rumors around the internet.

Marco Russo ⋅ 4 years ago #

Hi, i need an info if it's possible:
i'd like to add some sanitizing liquid to the Mijia 1C water tank. this is possible or the water tank will be damaged? I'd like to use somethink like Amukine Med, but if you have experienced with success some other kind of sanitizing liquid please tell me.

thanks and
Best regards
ps: Natalie congrats for the reviews very accurate and updated!!!

Natalie Red ⋅ 4 years ago #

Hi Marco, thank you so much :)
I am not sure about using any liquid, the manufacturer does not recommend using any but I know some users do.
I would use the liquid directly on the floor and leave the tank with water only.

Squirrel ⋅ 4 years ago #

Hi, just bought this robot today and so far im satisifed, but i dont have option, or at least cant find map saving mode in my app. My latest update is 3.5.8_1035 and it says that it is latest (and yeah, my location is chinesee mainland). So i guess i need to update for 1045 but i dont know how. Any solution ? Thank you.

Michael ⋅ 4 years ago #

Hi,
As far as I know, Xiaomi disabled the experimental features since it broke the robot for some users (check this post for more info). I've heard that they are working on fixing the issue and the new firmware update will be released until the end of the month, hope they will return back the experimental features with this update.

Join our friendly community

Learn more about home robots, ask questions, share news, reviews, or create posts that you find helpful or entertaining.