|Main Features||iRobot Roomba 980||Xiaomi Mi Robot|
|Mapping / Path planning||yes||yes|
|Mapping Sensor Type||camera||LDS|
|Recharge & Resume||yes||yes|
|Automatically Docks and Recharges||yes||yes|
|Noise Level||70 db||68 db|
|Side Brushes (one or two)||1 pcs||1 pcs|
|Suction Power||1700 Pa||1800 Pa|
|Сleaning Area||1991 ft2 / 185 m2||2691 ft2 / 250 m2|
|Recommended Home Size||medium, big||medium, big|
|Cleaning Modes||auto, spot, carpet boost||standart, quiet, max, zoned cleanup|
|Dustbin Capacity||600 ml||420 ml|
|Automatic Dirt Disposal||no||no|
|Water Tank Capacity||-||-|
|Barrier-cross Height||0.79 in / 20 mm||0.59 in / 15 mm|
|Сarpet Floor Types||low-pile, medium-pile||low-pile, medium-pile|
|Bare Floor Types||hardwood, vynil, marble tile, ceramic tile, laminate, linoleum||hardwood, linoleum, marble tile, ceramic tile, laminate|
|Battery Capacity||3300 mAh||5200 mAh|
|Run time||120 min||150 min|
|Charging Time||120 min||240 min|
|Rated Power (Watts)||43 W||55 W|
|IR Remote Control||no||no|
|Wi-Fi / Smartphone App||yes||yes|
|Wi-Fi Frequency Bands||2.4 GHz||2.4 GHz|
|Amazon Alexa Support||yes||yes|
|Google Assistant Support||yes||yes|
|Magnetic/Optical Virtual Walls||yes||yes|
|Digital Blocked Area||no||no|
|Manual movement control||no||yes|
|Selected Room Cleaning||no||no|
|Anti-drop / Cliff Sensor||yes||yes|
|Full Bin Indicator||yes||no|
|Robot Weight||8.69 lbs / 3.94 kg||8.40 lbs / 3.81 kg|
|Robot Width||13.90 in / 35.3 cm||13.58 in / 34.5 cm|
|Robot Height||3.60 in / 9.14 cm||3.78 in / 9.6 cm|
|In the box||charging station, line cord, extra side brush, 2 dual mode virtual wall barriers with batteries, extra filter||charging dock, adapter, user manual|
|Warranty||12 months||12 months|
iRobot Roomba 980 vs. Xiaomi Mi Robot: Which one is the best?
- Rollers. The Roomba has two silicone brushless rollers that are ideal for pet hair. Mapping technology. Roomba uses a camera sensor on top that requires a light on the room where the robot is cleaning. The Xiaomi has the LDS sensor that builds an accurate plan of the layout, can "see" in the dark. Both robots navigate back-and-forth in efficient straight lines.
- Runtime. The Mi Robot lasts 30 minutes longer than the Roomba.
- Interaction with a map. The Roomba's map disappears once the cleaning is done. You can see the created map in the iRobot Home. With a map created by Xiaomi, there is an ability of interaction. Xiaomi has a smaller dustbin.
- Real-time tracking. Thanks to three processors houses inside the Xiaomi, you can track the vacuum in real time using the Mi Home app.
- Virtual walls and zone cleaning. In the Mi Home app, you can set virtual boundaries to keep the robot from crossing some particular areas. Also, you can create zone cleaning by drawing a rectangle on the map. Roomba has 2 dual virtual wall barriers in the box that creates a zone up to 3 meters in diameter that the robot should not cross.
- Climbing ability means height the robot can cross. The Xiaomi Mi Robot can only clean carpets that are not thicker than 15 mm. The Roomba is more suitable for deep cleaning.
- Carpet boost increases air power to max level once the sensors recognize carpet flooring. Xiaomi lacks this feature.
- Suction power. The Mi Robot has stronger suction.
- Cleaning performance. Thanks to carpet identification, strong suction and good climbing ability the Roomba 980 performs excellently on carpets and bare floors (thanks to the brushless rollers).
- In the app, you can control the Xiaomi Mi Robot like a radio car. The iRobot Home app does not support it.
- Roomba has more accessories in the box.
- Price. Xiaomi costs half of the Roomba price.
Which one would suit you better?
The Roomba 980 is more suitable for carpets and pet owners. Its brushless rollers are tangle-free. With 120 minutes of battery life and recharge&resume, the cleaner is ideal for bigger homes. If you are a fan of iRobot, your home is mostly carpeted, and you are ready to pay around $800 - get the Roomba 980.
The Xiaomi Mi Robot is one of a few budget cleaners that is powerful and smart. The robot is suitable for bigger homes because of the longest battery life in the industry. It is ideal for homes with bare floor and thin carpets. Mi Home app offers more than the iRobot Home such as real-time tracking, virtual boundaries setting, supports zoned cleanup. If you don't have any thick carpets/rugs - consider buying the Xiaomi Mi Robot.